1.12.1 client tweaks: FoV fix, sound in background, quick-loot by default & more menu

User Tag List

Hareturtle's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.12.1 client tweaks: FoV fix, sound in background, quick-loot by default & more

Download

The 1.12.1 client is missing many of the conveniences of modern clients and that annoyed me enough to work out how to add them myself.

This is a simple patcher, written in Rust, that takes WoW.exe as an argument and produces a WoW_patched.exe with a number of tweaks. To use, just drag WoW.exe on top of the patcher or alternatively run it from the command line with the path to your WoW.exe as an argument.

Currently the following tweaks are implemented. The values for FoV, farclip, frilldistance and nameplate distance can be changed with command line arguments.

• Widescreen FoV fix
      • FoV is set to 1.925 to better match WotLK and later clients.
      • Will probably look strange on non-widescreen resolutions, so users of such resolutions may want to change the value.
    • Enable sound in background
    • Farclip (terrain render distance) max value increase
      • Farclip can be changed with /console farclip 1000 (777 is the default maximum)
      • This patch allows up to 10000, but very large values may cause the client to crash. Patching the client to be large-address aware may help with this (this patcher does not patch the client to be LAA right now).
    • Frilldistance (grass render distance) increase
      • Increased from 70 to 300. 300 works well on my machine with a frilldensity of 64, but will cause (quite large) performance issues with the max frill density of 256. Frilldensity is changed with /console frilldensity 64
      • Frilldistance is not changeable in vanilla using console commands, but can be changed with memory editing. Because this is a simple client patch the value set here is static, but the same offset works for changing it at runtime.
    • Quickloot reverse patch
      • Quickloot by default. Hold shift for manual loot.
      • Implemented for corpses, world objects (e.g. mining nodes, fishing bobber) and inventory containers (e.g. lockboxes). Let me know if I missed any; there more calls to the looting function in the game but I couldn't figure out what they're for.
    • Nameplate range patch
      • Increased to 41 yards by default to match the max value in the Classic and TBC Classic clients. Default game value is 20 yards.
      • Very large values may cause visual clutter because vanilla plates don't overlap. The ShaguPlates addon has a setting to enable plate overlap which may help with visual clutter.
    • Large address aware patch
      • Patches the PE header to have the Large Address Aware flag, allowing the game to use up to 4GB memory. Not sure if this is necessary, but it does not seem to hurt.
    • Default sound channel count increase
      • Increases the default number of sound channels the game uses from 12 to 128. This is essentially the number of sounds that can play at the same time, and the insanely low default of 12 in vanilla means that many sounds do not play during raids.
      • This can also be changed with /console SoftwareSoundChannels 128 without patching the client, but I decided to include it here to improve the discoverability of this tweak. This patch changes the default, so the command will overwrite it.

Let me know if you have any ideas for more tweaks, and I may add them if they are relatively easy to do without code injection. For the offsets and patches, have a look at the source code.

The patcher has only been tested on Linux, so let me know if the cross-compiled releases don't work. It's easy to compile yourself too.
    Last edited by Hareturtle; 07-11-2022 at 06:31 PM.

1.12.1 client tweaks: FoV fix, sound in background, quick-loot by default & more
  2. Thanks SWBGTOC (1 members gave Thanks to Hareturtle for this useful post)
    Hareturtle's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added a patch for nameplate range. This setting is also static in vanilla, so there's no way to change it in-game without a live memory patcher. The default value is 20 yards, and this patcher increases it to 41 yards by default which is the max value allowed by the Classic and TBC Classic clients.

SWBGTOC's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, this is great. No sound in the background was the only thing ruining 1.12.1 for me.