Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field of View editor for 32-bit WoW clients.

I built a probably-terrible editor that modifies a few bytes in the Wow.exe client program to modify the field of view. I've got it working on Vanilla 1.12.1, TBC 2.4.3, Wrath 3.3.5a, and MoP 5.4.8 32-bit. I don't currently have a Cata client or server setup to test, or anything newer than MoP. And it doesn't work on 64-bit stuff yet.

I put it up on GitHub, here: WowFovChanger.

Or you can download it here: Attachment 80251

1. Open the executable, click the [...] button in the upper-right.
    2. Browse to your Wow.exe executable and open it.
    3. If it matches a version I added to the list, it will tell you the filesize and version, as well as get the current FoV. FoV is listed in degrees, which are very approximate, and raw units.
    4. Vanilla and TBC seem to have a different scale than later clients, and default to about 65° compared to new clients that are closer to 80°, but the default data accounts for that so you should be able to just type your desired FoV.
    5. A bunch of info shows up when you select a supported executable so you can see it, but it isn't necessary unless you're trying to compare things.
    6. Enter an FoV in the "New FoV" textbox at the bottom, in degrees. Degrees are horizontal, done on a 16:9 setup. If you have a different ratio it will probably throw things off, but you can still play with it.

Warning: I didn't put a lot of effort into error checking, so use at your own risk. The program does make a backup copy before it tries to change anything, so hopefully it won't do any permanent damage. I didn't put any checks in place, so you can probably do stupid things like -1million° FoV, which probably won't work well. I would expect values between about 5 and 170° would work, but I didn't really push the limits to find out. 20° and 110° worked for me on all clients.

If you bork it, you can just hit Default then Apply and it should set the exact bytes the program started with and get you on track.

I got a bunch of the info from other threads here and here, so thanks to everyone who posted useful information there.

There was some misinformation though. The FoV value is a 32-bit, single-precision float, in little endian format. Which is 4 bytes. The first 8 bytes given on the other thread were useful in finding the 4 bytes I needed, but you don't need to modify 8 or 10 bytes of data. That's also why people were having trouble converting to a meaningful float value from hex. I find it interesting that the default values are all pi/2, but I couldn't do anything useful with that information. It's not like they did 2pi radians for a circle and pi/2 radians is 90°, unless there's some other conversion factor I'm not seeing.

The program uses a .dat file in its folder to figure out where to look, so if you can find offsets for other 32-bit clients, you can edit the file to make the program look there. If you post them here, I'll try to edit the GitHub file so it has more targets for more people. But I'm lazy and probably won't check this site a bunch, so maybe post them on GitHub. Not that I check GitHub much either.

Field of View editor for 32-bit WoW clients.