0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing a core and Op Systems.

This is the biggest step towards making a private server, its so big that I have it on a different thread! Okay, so here we go!!

WOTLK--
    ArcEmu vs MaNGOS
    ArcEmu has a LUA engine but slower development, and is a much less stable core. However, ArcEmu supports Windows based operating systems better, whereas MaNGOS is better on Linux. MaNGOS has cleaner C++ code but has many hack bombs waiting to go off. 3.3.5 MaNGOS can hardly support over 300 players on Windows operating systems

ArcEmu vs TrinityCore
    TrinityCore is the stablest of most cores, on Windows if you have appropriate specs and internet it can hold up to 5k players. However, Trinity is essentially a better version of MaNGOS, but has about half the hack bombs MaNGOS has waiting to go off, aswell as WoWD. Trinity and MaNGOS only support C++ (Rumor has it that MaNGOS is implementing a PY engine). TrinityCore is the only core that anyone has Gunship working on.

TrinityCore vs MaNGOS
    TrinityCore is in my opinion the way to go, however we are all different. MaNGOS is better if you have a very low budget and less knowledge of C++. Trinity is harder to code on, but better stability-wise.

TBC--

TrinityOne
    Only supports C++, stopped working on the project before it was properly working. VERY buggy and unsupported.

ArcEmu
    Supports C++ and LUA, unstable but great for fun servers.

MaNGOS One
    Only supports C++, incredibly buggy but has ScriptDevOne and active development.

OregonCore
    Only supports C++, is 80% MaNGOS One aswell as 20% TrinityOne. Dead project but atleast 80% of TBC is working as intended.

SkyFireOne
    VERY buggy, essentially OregonCore but has messed a bunch of crap up with hacks, etc. 100% Unsuggested by me and my emulation nerd friends.

Vanilla--
    MaNGOS Zero
    C++ Based, only actively supported 1.12.1 core, ScriptDevZero but needs real developers. 1/4-1/5 of spells are buggy as are ranged attacks and melee (Melee is very buggy).
    MANY hackbombs in Raids *Classic example is Zul'Gurub, atleast 3 of the bosses have VERY serious hackbombs ready to explode. Can be perfected with devs.

TrinityZero
    C++ based, stopped development after about a year. No longer supported but works a decent amount. About 1/3 of spells are bugged, but with real devs is more stable than MaNGOS Zero.

MaNGOS Platinum
    C++ based, stopped development in 2008. Dusty and very buggy, picture the system banning you for entering westfall. Hardly works and its horrible. DO NOT use MaNGOS Platinum.

Operating Systems and specs.
    Linux: TrinityCore is best supportive of Linux aswell as MaNGOS. Linux specs should have atleast 2GB Of RAM to run properly with 100+ players. Linux is much more stable and only requires checkups once a day.

Wandows (AKA Windows): ArcEmu THRIVES on Wandows, however eats MUCH more RAM. ArcEmu is very unstable but can be VERY well supported via Wandows with atleast 8GB RAM.

RAM requirements and why

In ArcEmu, each player eats about 0.1 MB of RAM, whereas Trinity and MaNGOS estimate around 0.05 per player. Trinity requires less RAM than MaNGOS and ArcEmu because ArcEmu takes about 800Mb to run by default, MaNGOS is about 600 and Trinity is 400 with both auth and world.

Speed:
    To make a server with over 300 players per se, you'll need atleast 100MB up and down for download and 75 upload. Each player eats 0.075 MB, which is around 75KB. On average a casting/moving player takes about 120KB.

Funserver:
    ArcEmu, hands down. ArcEmu is 100000x more customiseable opposed to that of Trinity and MaNGOS.

Blizzlike PvE and PvP: TrinityCore. More stable, easier to fix with less bugs.

Sorry MaNGOS, but you are the one voted off tonight.

Thanks for reading, hope I helped, best regards

--Turtleswin.

Need help deciding? Skype request iamaturtlehehe for more info or you can contact me via PM! Best of luck!
    Last edited by turtleswin; 01-03-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added MaNGOS Platinum. Fixed RAM requirement which was insanely off.

Choosing a core and Op Systems.
    turtleswin's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MaNGOS Platinum is no longer compilable.

spleee101's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me its always been between trinity core and mangos... however i have hosted a mangos based server on my home machine that at one point had roughly 500 players on it actively before i had it moved to a more dedicated host... none the less i didn't run into any stability problems but you are right Mangos is a hack bomb waiting to go off espeically if you have a large player base. IMO Trinity is the best way to go i can count the number of times ive crashed on one hand in the two years i have been using it. +rep for putting these all together tho

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, really glad I helped! MaNGOS is just a hack nuke. Even ScriptDev is full of hacks, but Trinity has made those hacks function properly without damaging anything. Any hacks Trinity uses are essential. Aka the PVP bug where outside of a BG, entering PvP combat clashed the client/core. That was appropriate. Anyway, back on topic- Thanks! Glad I helped.

XxXGenesisXxX's Avatar Sergeant Major
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, I completely admit TrinityCore is superior to ArcEmu, but... I see so many people say that ArcEmu is unstable, ArcEmu this, ArcEmu that... Honestly, the server I am working on is HEAVILY based on custom content. I don't recall it ever crashing that wasn't the VPS server hosts fault/problem. It's all about how the developer handles the core. I have seen TrinityCore servers who's devs have taken shortcuts and it crashes frequently.

Again, Trinity is more stable and more bug free, just don't underestimate ArcEmu, because you are probably over-estimating the developer.

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres the thing. ArcEmu breaks 300 players and 1 of 2 things happen. Lag or crashes. ArcEmu also has less flexability due to the lazy developers with C++ (ArcEmu is dead..) TrinityCore has a development team, is only C++ based and has less than 10,000 bugs known. It can also hold up to 5k players at once with the appropriate host specs and internet

XxXGenesisXxX's Avatar Sergeant Major
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't deny any of that. But I highly doubt that the target audience for this guide are people who are going to break 300 players, if even 100. And by the time they have the skill to do so, they SHOULD know everything written here and more. This is more a decision for people starting out in public servers.

Also I re-read this:
    "RAM requirements and why

In ArcEmu, each player eats about 0.1 GB of RAM, whereas Trinity and MaNGOS estimate around 0.05 per player. Trinity requires less RAM than MaNGOS and ArcEmu because ArcEmu takes about 800Mb to run by default, MaNGOS is about 600 and Trinity is 400 with both auth and world. "

Did you mean 0.05MB per player for Trinity/Mangos, instead of 0.05GB.

0.05GB * 5000 players = 250GB RAM. Good luck getting a computer with that ram.
    Even on a MoltenWoW level of 2000 players:
    0.05GB * 2000 players = 100GB RAM.

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was pretty tired when I made this guide. There are some mistakes. Lemme correct dat.

Harambeqt's Avatar Elite User CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    9/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ArcEmu
    Supports C++ and LUA, unstable but great for fun servers.
    Have in mind that they have one working developer on their master project and the owner is just stupid.
    They dont have active 2.4.3 development. Its just an old fork.

MaNGOS One
    Only supports C++, incredibly buggy but has ScriptDevOne and active development.
    Correction - Not "incredibly buggy" at all, thats a lie.

MangosOne and Oregon are the top picks if you are going to host a burning crusade server.
    - Don't forget to contribute and report issues on their tracker.
    Support the #1 WoW Emulator:
    http://arcemu.org/
    https://github.com/arcemu/arcemu
    - - -

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every TBC core is incredibly buggy. I was refering to MaNGOS One's ScriptDev support which is unstable. Oregon is a better choice as of now, but MaNGOS has deveopment active so the chances are that MaNGOS will bipass Oregon.

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cmangos is another choice, they're a relatively new fork of MaNGOS that broke off with active developers much the way TrinityCore broke off back in the day. Repos are located here
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MaNGOS Isn't really a good core for 335, 1121 and 243 however, its a great core for.

LilleCarl's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [WotLK/TBC] MaNGOS (CMaNGOS, MaNGOS is dead)
    Most stable core out, less features as all features must be behaving blizzlike to get into CMaNGOS repo.
    Got MMaps, Dynlos
    [WotLK] TrinityCore
    Quite stable, most features work as supposed to (for the end user, might be hacky server side)
    Got Dynlos, Warden
    [WotLK] MaNGOSR2
    Quite much like TrinityCore, cannot set my finger on it, haven't tested it out too much.
    Got MMaps, Dynlos, Warden
    [TBC] OregonCore
    Doesnt have anything, the main developer stfx left before critical bugs were corrected, he went to CMaNGOS but got a break for now.
    [TBC] SkyFireOne
    Just a continuation of OregonCore without many fixes, but rather structural changes.
    [WotLK] Arcemu
    Got a Lua engine, wow awesome!

turtleswin, do not trick people with your false statements, it's hilarious for someone like me. But seriously, you do not know what you are talking about.

Personal choise: CMaNGOS, because they are stable, got a professional development workflow with reviewed changesets and *no hacks* (only very few)

Regards - Someone who have been working with emus, not just posting on a forum.

EDIT: A player eats about highly calculated 100 KB ram. What eats ram (until you reach the map,vmap,mmap 100%load) is the extracted client data and database size.

With netstat i found that each player takes about 0.5Kb/s traffic (low populated server without many people in the same spot tho) So lets calculate with 3 Kb/s instead.
    Last edited by LilleCarl; 01-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Violence doesn't solve shit, but everything else.

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I stated about cores was true. TrinityCore is WAY more stable than MaNGOS btw.

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying I don't know about WoW emu's and just sit around on the forums? If so, you're sorely mistaken.

In my 2 years of working with Trinity I haven't seen a single crash. WOrked with MaNGOS for 3 months, saw 5 crashes. Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast