Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Emulator Should You Use?

What Emulator Should I Use...?

This is a question asked a lot in the Emu Questions area, and truthfully i have never seen someone have a guide on helping people choose it.

So, the questions you need to ask yourself:

• What do i want from my server? Blizzlike? Funserver? Stable?

• What kind of scripting environment do i want?

• Am I just starting Emulation and want a easy ride?

So, if your first answer was to say "Blizzlike" then ManGOS is the way to go! That's because they have chased the Blizzlike feel to replicate in their own way, compared to ArcEmu.

Arcemu has gone for the capability of making there server a Funsever! While still having that ability to present itself as Blizzlike too.

(To put it simple, Blizzlike - ManGOS, Funserver - ArcEmu)

What is easier to script in might be the decider for this question, and in my honest opinion (Don't take this for your own), I would say .Lua, which is incorporated with ArcEmu, it has a nice and easy feel to it, and you can get very creative with it once your experienced.

Now for ManGOS, I don't personally have much experience here, but i believe its done through scriptdev2, which i presume is C++ (someone post to correct me please), which CAN be a difficult language to pick up, but once again, holds many possibilities.

Lastly, Do I want a easy ride? Do you just want to be able to create stuff with no hassle? Get into scripting quickly? And have a easy set up process? Then I would tell you to use ArcEmu, many of the higher up people in Emu here would all tell you that it is the easiest to start with, a derivative of Ascent (imo one of the best Emulator there was :'().

Whereas, if you have been in Emu for a long time and are maybe looking for a step up in a sense, or a change of environment, go for ManGOS all the way.

Alright, so now, if you would like to do more background research on both Emulators before choosing, following the following links to there respective sites.

ArcEmu
    ManGOS

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Kiev; 02-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.

What Emulator Should You Use?
    Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, nice original sort of guide. Even though I don't really have any interested in Emulators.

The only recommendation I can make is perhaps do a bit more research before posting a guide like this.

For example:

Originally Posted by Kiev View Post
    Now for ManGOS, I dont personally have much expierenece here, but i beleive its done through scriptdev2, which i presume is C++ (someone post to correct me please), which CAN be a difficult language to pick up, but once again, holds many posibilities.
    And lastly perhaps use the built in spell-check or copy and paste from Word before posting because there were a ton of spelling mistakes. When you post a guide you want to try seem as informed and knowledgeable as possible, and the professional feel of correct grammar etc is always a bonus.

Originally Posted by Kiev View Post
    What Emulator Should I Use...?

This is a question asked alot in the Emu Questions area, and truthfully i have never seen someome have a guide on helping people choose it.

So, the questions you need to ask yourself:

• What do i want from my server? Blizzlike? Funserver? Stable?

• What kind of scripting enviroment do i want?

• Am I just starting Emulation and want a easy ride?

So, if your first answer was to say "Blizzlike" then ManGOS is the way to go! Thats because they have chased the Blizzlike feel to replicate in their own way, compared to ArcEmu.

Arcemu has gone for the capability of making there server a Funsever! While still having that ability to present itself as Blizzlike too.

(To put it simple, Blizzlike - ManGOS, Funserver - ArcEmu)

What is easier to script in might be the decider for this question, and in my honest opinion (Dont take this for your own), I would say .Lua, which is incorperated with ArcEmu, it has a nice and easy feel to it, and you can get very creative with it once your expierienced.

Now for ManGOS, I dont personally have much expierenece here, but i beleive its done through scriptdev2, which i presume is C++ (someone post to correct me please), which CAN be a difficult language to pick up, but once again, holds many posibilities.

Lastly, Do I want a easy ride? Do you just want to be able to create stuff with no hassle? Get into scripting quickly? And have a easy set up process? Then I would tell you to use ArcEmu, many of the higher up people in Emu here would all tell you that it is the easiest to start with, a derivertive of Ascent (imo one of the best Emulator there was :'().

Whereas, if you have been in Emu for a long time and are maybe looking for a step up in a sense, or a change of enviroment, go for ManGOS all the way.

Alright, so now, if you would like to do more background research on both Emulators before choosing, following the following links to there respective sites.

ArcEmu
    ManGOS

Enjoy.
    a lot
    someone
    environment
    that's
    don't
    incorporated
    experienced - lol I don't even know how to correct your original one:P ("expierenece" that's like ex-pie-renece")
    don't
    experience
    believe
    possibilities
    derivative
    environment
    Last edited by Unholyshaman; 02-16-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Kiev's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah, i tend to rush my work anyway, and I spelt most of that from how I got taught it in school O_O My teachers were wrong xD.

Ill do that now.

Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, it's no problem mate, I am not telling you what to do or calling you out for a mistake you may or may not have made. I just want to help.

I think that this kind of thread may have potential to become very helpful to many of MMOwned's user-base, and you may simply want to make it more resourceful and professional.

You could include things like your own step by step written or video guides on setting up said servers, best locations to download the software and data needed, recommended internet connection and bandwidth for people wanting to make their servers more commercial, maybe even some legal precautions and warnings for those newbies who want to try it out but do not fully understand the legal complications involved.

2dgreengiant's Avatar ★ Elder ★

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don;t forget Aspore/WCell/trinity etc
    If you need me you have my skype, if you don't have my skype then you don't need me.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill take what you said Unholy, and i will sure to do that!

Ill also look into Aspire etc, and improve this.

Ragonz's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never even thought of using aspire until i saw this will definantly take a look into it, thanks for the short but helpful guide

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should point out that you get Ascent based emulators and Mangos based emulators, otherwise people will be like "I heard of ShyEmu is it better than ArcEmu?". Also people don't know that Trinity is based of Mangos, so they do not realise you mean Trinity as a possibility when you say Mangos for blizzlike.
    Also add in a part for the more advanced users, there are people who join emulation who already know a lot of coding, and they want to know which project supports what. Wcell etc as 2d pointed out use C#, so someone who knows fluent C# and no C++ would rather investigate Wcell probably than a Ascent based emulator.
    Nethertheless, great guide (I have noticed these questions popping up every 5 seconds in emu questions ) +Rep.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the main aim of the guide To answer them questions in Emu Questions. xD, still looking into expanding this, but i suck at time managment, will create a complete redit of it soon. (: Thank you stone.