0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[VIDEO GUIDE] How to download, compile, and configure MaNGOS with UDB

WATCH: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI52omfSpZk]YouTube - How to download, compile, and configure MaNGOS with UDB[/ame]
    DOWNLOAD HIGH QUALITY: howtocompilemangos.avi

If the grating of my voice annoys you, you're free to mute me, as the video is pretty much self-explanatory; it was originally intended as a series of animated gifs to accompany a text article.

Free software you'll need:

Tools.rar (inc. MySQL Community): tools.rar
    GIT: msysgit - Google Code
    Tortoise SVN: tortoisesvn.tigris.org
    Visual C++ Express: Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
    SQLyog Community Edition: MySQL GUI Tools. MySQL Monitor and Manager

The entire process took me, from start to finish, 25 minutes flat, and I recorded the ordeal in a single take (I recorded audio afterwards). I've removed 15 minutes of non-action (downloads, compiling, misc waiting) to show you exactly every single step to compile an up to date copy of MaNGOS.

I highly recommend downloading and viewing the full quality version locally, as the tiny little youtube screen makes a lot of the text hard to read.

The real purpose of this guide is simply to make life easier for beginners who want something more than using someone else's repacks, and want good clean mangos as soon as it's available. There are text/image guides on this website that offer vaguely the same thing, but I myself found them to be a bit convoluted and difficult to understand my first time around (no offence, Le Froid, you were a great inspiration).

Things to note: UDB doesn't always have an up-to-date database ready for download. Keep an eye on their forums to make sure the current revision or update pack is compatible with the newest mangos revision. It usually takes several days after a new mangos release before the guys at UDB have a new update to match. The mangos team always includes updates so that you can update your database when updating your server, however, these updates haven't been completely reliable, and frankly, are a bit of a mess. Again, I mean no disrespect, I can't code to save my life, and the mangos/udb devs are my heroes. I just want to let you guys know that it's an ongoing project that nobody is getting paid to do, so it's a little rough around the edges at times.

Please read the info attached to the youtube video for more information, and enjoy.

Free software used to make this video:
    camstudio - to record the video
    virtualdub - to cut the video, and attach audio file later
    rad video tools - to shrink and combine the cut video files
    audacity - to record the audio and remove background noise
    Last edited by 711; 06-18-2009 at 01:22 AM.

[VIDEO GUIDE] How to download, compile, and configure MaNGOS with UDB
    myran2's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is great! Thanks a lot!

k1mpman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it! Thanks!

EDIT: I'm quite new on both this site and by setting upp this server (only made repacks before wich isn't anything to brag about xD)

So i have 1 question, if I have a friend that wanna play with me on my new superb server, where do I change that and is that possible to do in an easy way?
    I'm new to this type, that's why, I'm not new with external servers etc. Just that it gets so blurry when you follow a vid wich is "do this and that" but, as you said, it is soposed to be a blurry first try server. Loved the vid, took me some time with all downloads etc x)

Thanks man!
    Last edited by k1mpman; 06-20-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Question

711's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make a server public without a VPN, you need to connect to the mysql server, open the "Realmlist" table in the "realmd" database you create, and change the "name" column to your external IP address. What's My IP?

Following this, you need to forward ports 8085 and 3724 on your router and/or firewall. You'll need the access info to these devices to do this. See PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall for more info.

As for the blur bit, yeah... I wasn't intending to record audio for this, so when I did, I had to speak very fast to keep up with myself. I fully expect most people will have to pause and rewind several times.

k1mpman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 711 View Post
    To make a server public without a VPN, you need to connect to the mysql server, open the "Realmlist" table in the "realmd" database you create, and change the "name" column to your external IP address.

Following this, you need to forward ports 8085 and 3724 on your router and/or firewall. You'll need the access info to these devices to do this.

As for the blur bit, yeah... I wasn't intending to record audio for this, so when I did, I had to speak very fast to keep up with myself. I fully expect most people will have to pause and rewind several times.
    Awesome man, you're great! Thanks!

k1mpman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey.. Again x) come to a problem, when i try to logon my mysql I get an error.
    Error No. 2003
    Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)
    I did not search on google because I can andurstand that it does not find 'localhost' to connect to, the only thing i did around the Mangos, was to open "realmd.conf" and edit some of the lines(127.0.0.1 to my IP, because of missunderstanding). I went back and edit back the lines ofcourse, now really i don't know what to do.
    I tried using my local-ip and 127.0.0.1 instead of Localhost. Same message there.

You have any clues? Sorry for posting my problems here, but I'm doing it because I'm having problem with your tutorial *well, not with that, but yeah you know* x)

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I tried to make a new Connection as well, did not work. Also I did restart my computer.

EDIT2: Got it working, forgot to start run the "mysql.bat" I'm so dumb xD I'll try this out now!
    Last edited by k1mpman; 06-21-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Came up with more annoying things to say. Hah x)

muzzle's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    faultless.

Nicely done. Thanks. +Rep

ncvicedo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe I got it working. Yahoo!

Just wanted to say I was sketical about getting MaNGOS started. But when I tried your video. Everything went fine. I got it up and running but could not get up the private server lan server. I have been so used to ARCEMU. So I applied what I knew about setting up a Lan server on ARCEMU and was able to get MaNGOS up on a lan server. For my appreciation, I will share how I set up MaNGOS on a Lan server.

Note: I did not change any of the .conf files.

1. Start up MySQL.

2. Bring up Navicat (or whatever you are comfortable with) and connect to 127.0.0.1.

3. Open up realmd.

4. Open up table realmlist.

5. This is where you can change the name of your realm. On the address, change 127.0.0.1 to your IP Address.

6. Go to your firewall and open up ports 3306, 3724, and 8085.

I hope this will help others as well. 7-11 big time!!! +Rep

dextercito's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THX friend. You help and the video is full.

I'm a spanish man, sorry for my english. +Rep friend

Greetings

tbdcarakias's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I wanted to implement the solo player version that someone created on the UDB boards, I'd follow these instructions using their DB?