0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] How to create the perfect instance

In this guide I will show you how to use gameobjects and npc's to create a nice, realistic raid instance.

[UPDATED 1/8/2008]
    Gameobjects and how to use them to your advantage
    In this guide I will be using one of my custom instances to demonstrate to you my points. GameObjects make the world go round in the custom instance world, it determines a custom instance, from a instance thats had its mobs rearranged. The most commonly commands I use are '.go spawn','.go select', '.go scale' and '.go move'. '.go scale' is my favorite because it can add an illusion of a huge towering citedel, a huge cave and proper platforms and floors. For example:

In this I have used the gates from Blacktemple, Illidans door and a fel reavers foot (Yes a fel reavers foot). By using .go scale you can make a object look completely different from what it originally did. From the floors POV it looks like a huge burning legion citadel, so when a players walks past here he suddenly thinks 'ZOMG ITS A BIG CASTLE THINGY! I WONDER IF I CAN GET INSIDE?' Immediately you have caught the attention of players who want to explore it. Colors play a big role in a good custom instance you must use a certain color combination (unless your building the rainbow palace). In my instance the color combination is green, brown, and black, this also adds realism. Platforms and floors are a must in any instance. Most players use the simple table and just stride around stacking them and laying them next to eachother to make their platforms. This is a waste of time and looks a darn right mess, the only time you maybe should do this is when you are making a stair way. .go scale is your friend! Spawn 1 decently looking table and do .go scale, it looks so much better and is quick and easy. Also add ruins of buildings, siege weapons etc.

You can see in this image how big it is compared to the tree. Add obstacles and a trap or 2!Lay down Elevators. Have gaps in the floor... Make your instance a challenge! Another big factor for gameobjects is lighting. Add gameobjects that produce light, or gas... This will add a good effect of realism.
    Waypoints and Formation Links
    Waypoints and formation links are the difference between a hunk of junk, and a proper custom instance. Waypoints allow a NPC to move back and forth from different locations. Formation links do the same however the person you have way-pointed is followed by a number of other NPC's. By using these 2 commands you can add patrols and wandering NPC's.
    Waypoint and formation link commands:
    .waypoint add
    .waypoint show
    .waypoint hide
    .waypoint waittime
    .waypoint addfly
    .formationlink1
    .formationlink 2
    These are all the basic commands towards waypoints and formation links.
    How do I waypoint
    To waypoint is simple! You click the NPC you want to waypoint. You then move to the location were you want him to go and you type .waypoint add. You then move to the next location and do it again, he will first go to waypoint 1, then 2, and back again. You can do this as many times as you want. To modify how long the NPC stands still at each waypoint, you must first type .waypoint show (this shows all waypoints you have set). Then select the waypoint and type .waypoint waittime <time> (time is in MilliSeconds). Then type .waypoint hide (you must do this to avoid confusion with other NPC's you are waypointing). When putting NPC's in your instance make them patrol halls, or have a boss walking around.
    Formation Links
    Formation Links differ from waypoints slightly (however are quite most complicated). They work on a Polar grid, this means you must enter values to determin how far away the npc's are and what side they are on from the formation master. You must put this after .formationlink2 (for example .formationlink2 -4 4) But how do I make it all work? First you must set the formation master, to do this type .formationlink1, this will set your formation master (the one who is followed). Then spawn some other NPC's (as many as you want) and type .formationlink2 <value1><value2> while selecting them (DO NOT TYPE .formationlink1 again!). Now simply select your formation master and give him a waypoint and the others will follow him! For a more complex guide on waypoints and formation links I suggest you use Skypes GM guide

Portals
    Some good instances use portals to get around (as stacking tables constantly is not very effective). Learn how to make them here: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/ascent...m-portals.html - By Colincancer.
    Location, location, location
    Location does not play a major role, but please use your common sense! "Everyone on the server come to the new black temple in the middle of Elwyn Forest!". Make sure you pick your location properly, for example if your making a big snowy fortress, do it somewhere snowy! Also use mountains and hills to your advantage. Put a huge castle onto of a mountain to add that extra little touch and really get players interested!
    Custom NPC's
    Every instance needs custom NPC's, like GameObjects custom NPC's is the basis to any custom instance. Spawning Black temple NPC's in your custom instance is boring and not fun for the players. Too make your custom NPC's good you must use realism! Do not make their health 1000000, instead make it something like 8750. You must continuously test your NPC's to make sure that a group that your aiming the instance at can take these, keep changing and modifying them. Furthermore give them an interesting name such as 'Nethershriekz, the devourer' not 'R0b0t WiTh Epix Laz00rz' (unless your instance is aimed at the retarded). You must carefully place your NPC's so they require strategies, and are not just a matter of tanking and spanking. Also make them look alive by using waypoints and formation links like I showed you, and use GameObjects like fire's and have them sitting around it. This all just makes your instance a whole more interesting for the players. If you really want to make it that whole lot better, script your NPC's (scripting bosses is a must in any good instance). You can find plenty of guides on how to do this throughout the forums.
    [SIZE]="4"]More pictures =]

-Razzal
    Last edited by RaZZal; 08-01-2008 at 03:09 PM.

[Guide] How to create the perfect instance
    Strupantwn's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide, + Rep
    Gave me some ideas for a instance

Btw, if your server has a lot of players and you would want a instance portal where
    many groups can go in and use reset instance etc.

How would you fix this?

EDIT: Sorry gae too much Rep, will rep tomorrow

Etna's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW nice guide man ! + rep for you!!!

The God Father's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice dude. =]

RaZZal's Avatar Site Donator
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll update it soon

Skype's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a more complete guide on waypoint and formation links a while back, but the rest of this is very good work, +rep

RaZZal's Avatar Site Donator
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link it to me Skype and I'll add it into the guide

Exacute's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you gie displayids for all Go's u used for that?

Cruiser's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah a list of some objects and their IDs would be awesome. It can be really nasty to try and find good ones. Its a really nice guide although a proper instance portal guide would be super. Still Ill definitely use this, +Rep

Exacute's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just for answering #2..
    You can use a already made instant that just got some terrain that isnt used by the instant.. heres some examples:
    Deadmines (fly out of the roof to get to all unused space)
    Magisters Terace (fly out in the green place)
    hellfire castle (just fly out somewhere)

theres A LOT more than those mentioned.
    Then after chosed a nice spot, and builded it up, make a portal to where u want peoples to start.

If you really want it to be nice, you can put a little more work in it, and change the name of the zone u chosed.
    I think this is the only way to do it without making new maps.
    Last edited by Exacute; 07-26-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Skype's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Link it to me Skype and I'll add it into the guide"

It's the only thread i ever wrote on MMowned, you cant miss it xD

azeon's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great man +rep

coopa's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez!

Nice job bro

BrantX's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow... i've seen good... and excellent... and this..is just more than excellent... +Rep x2

Flamehaze's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really cool dude now i have an idea of what kind of instance i wanna do! +Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast