Forrest's Idiot-proof Guide to Router/IP Solutions for your server (Mangos) menu

User Tag List

Forrest's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forrest's Idiot-proof Guide to Router/IP Solutions for your server (Mangos)

This guide is correct as of March 24, 2008.

This is a step-by-step guide compiled by me such that even noobs can allow others to connect to their server.

If you're looking for scripting and server creation issues, check out my other guides:

1. Forrest's Idiot Proof Guide to Setting Up Your Own Mangos Server @ http://www.mmowned.com/forums/mangos-guides/85388-forrest-s-idiot-proof-guide-setting-up-your-own-mangos-server-4.html

2. Scripting with UDB, generating your own custom content (soon to come)

3. GM commands within Mangos and how to use them @
    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/mangos...tml#post563507 (Forrest's Guide to GM Lvl 3 commands for Mangos)

OK, so you're hosting your server behind a router and you don't know how to get people to connect to you. If thats your problem, this guide is the thing for you. Its formulated in the Q&A spirit.

Credits

All credits go to syberjj from Mangos Community Forums for this guide. I simply formatted it and embellished more details.

!!PLEASE READ MY SERVER GUIDE AND ENSURE YOUR MANGOS SERVER IS WORKING BEFORE USING THIS GUIDE!!

1. Is your ISP(Internet Service Provider) assigning you a static IP address or a dynamic IP address? To check this, simply visit www.whatismyip.org and note the four numbers(this is your IP address), then disconnect and reconnect your router. If you don't have access to your router settings(God knows why), simply switch off the power to your router and switch it on again. Then, go to www.whatismyip.org again to check your IP address. If it is the same one you noted before, then you are holding a static IP. If not, then you are holding a dynamic IP.

I. Static IP - Go to Question 2
    II. Dynamic IP - Go to Solution 2
    III. Or if, you have a static IP address but wish your friends to connect to a DNS domain - Go to Solution 2

2. Are you using a firewall on your computer? Such firewalls might include but are not limited to Windows firewall, Norton internet firewall, norman internet firewall, mcafee internet firewall etc

I. Yes - Go to Solution 1
    II. No - Go to Question 3

3. Is your router using a firewall? Most routers use firewalls to block certain ports and restrict data flow to some.

I. Yes - Go to Solution 3
    II. No - Go to Question 4

4. Are other computers connected to your network(wireless/wired) and sharing the same Internet connection gateway?

I. Yes - Go to Question 5
    II. No - Go to Solution 5

5. Would you like these computers to connect to your server as well?

I. Yes - Go to Solution 4
    II. No - Go to Solution 5

Solution 1
    If so, forward TCP ports 8085 and 3724 on your firewall. Just turn if off if you don't know how. - Go to Question 3

Solution 2
    I.) Go to website DynDNS: Dynamic DNS, E-Mail Delivery and Other Services and create an account.
    II.) Login.You will be taken to the Account Summary page.
    III.) Click on "Add Host Services" under "My Services".
    IV.) Now do either A or B

A) If you are holding a static IP address:
    Go to Add Static DNS Host
    Create a DNS Host Name and configure it with your IP address. (www.whatismyip.org)
    Check the Wildcard Checkbox
    Leave the Service Type as it is under "Host with IP Address"
    Click on Create Host

B) If you are holding a dynamic IP address:
    Go to Add Dynamic DNS Host
    Create a Dynamic DNS Host Name and configure it with your Current IP address. (www.whatismyip.org)
    Check the Wildcard Checkbox
    Leave the Service Type as it is under "Host with IP Address"
    Click on Create Host
    Go to https://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/ and download the DynDNSUpdater Client there.
    Install the client on your computer, when prompted for account, simply input the one which you registered with dyndns.com
    This client will ensure that whenever your IP address is changed, an updated IP will be sent to update your DNS domain.

After using steps A or B, you will have a DNS hostname, remember it, it will be referenced later in the guide.
    Go to Question 2.

Solution 3
    To find out how to forward ports on your router. Go to PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall. The ports you need to forward on your router are TCP ports 8085 and 3724.

Solution 4
    Go to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\", in there is a file called hosts, make a backup of it before opening it with notepad.
    You WILL need a DNS hostname from Solution 2.
    You need to apply this step to all computers using your router and wishing to connect to your server including you.
    This is what you will see typically:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    Find out your LAN IP address. How?

Go to Start-->Run and type in cmd, click OK which will launch dos prompt. In dos prompt, type

Code:
     ipconfig /all
    and note the IP adress. If you are connected to your router via a cable, it should be under "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection", if you are connected wireless to your router, it should be under "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection". THIS is the IP address your router assigns to you.

Under the last line of your hosts file, type in your LAN IP address followed by a space and your DNS hostname. For example:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.17 mywowserver.dyndns.org
    Save your hosts file and you're good to go.

Solution 5

Open your MySQL database
    Open the database REALMD
    In this database there should be a table called REALMLIST and there you can set your servers IP address.
    Set your server's IP address to your DNS hostname(e.g. mywowserver.dyndns.org) OR your Static IP address(e.g. 10.1.15.16 obtained in Question 1.
    You're Done!

NOTE: All computers connecting to your server are required to edit their realmlist.wtf file with notepad within their "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft"(default) folder. E.g.

set realmlist mywowserver.dyndns.org
    OR
    set realmlist 10.1.15.168
    whichever one you're using, DNS hostname or IP address.

FOR ANY QUESTIONS, DO NOT POST THEM IN THIS THREAD, THIS SUB-FORUM IS HOLDING A NO-QUESTION POSTS POLICY. PLEASE RESPECT THAT. PM ME INSTEAD.
    Last edited by Forrest; 03-27-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    Cheers!
    "One typo in a code is debugger's hell. Don't."

Forrest's Idiot-proof Guide to Router/IP Solutions for your server (Mangos)
    JosipM15's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guide

Good guide but never you......and others
    never other people is no write how to make
    public server with no hamachi!

Forrest's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by JosipM15 View Post
    Good guide but never you......and others
    never other people is no write how to make
    public server with no hamachi!
    This guide IS teaching you how to make your server public WITHOUT hamachi!
    Cheers!
    "One typo in a code is debugger's hell. Don't."

BaDBoYSvK's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice guide but i cant publish my web server lol forever i dont know that i do all apache + php instaled and all but publish it ****ing job all is functionaly all whne i type cPanel® its go and when i type lan IP its go and when i type my http://badboysfun.no-ip.org:8085/ its dont want go **** that evil