fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Setup.h': No such file or directory menu

User Tag List

/K2's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Setup.h': No such file or directory

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Setup.h': No such file or directory

That's the error I get every time I try to add anything new to my server. I've tried adding a couple of instances, a couple of the warpnpc's, and an announcer. None of them work because of this error. I copied and pasted the scripts following the instructions to the letter. Other people posted that it worked and they liked it, so I know it was not the code.

I have also examined the Ascent Wiki about C++ Addons. I followed those directions EXACTLY and I still get the same error. Actually, the error I get then is that the StdAfx.h file can't be found.

And yes, a few people have posted that they also get this error. The replies have most commonly been:
    • Make sure the Setup.h file is included
    • Comment out the Setup.h file
    • Make sure your project properties are set up correctly

None of these have worked for me or any of the other people having this problem as far as I can tell. This is why I think this error warrants it's own thread. I'm sure that the solution is a simple fix to correct operator error, but it is one of those things that is so simple that it drives you crazy because you can't see it. I've been at this for about a week now and I just can't take it anymore.

I'm using MSVC++ 2008 if that helps. I would include more info and specifics about what I am doing, but would it help? I don't even know what to include or elaborate on. I've tried so MANY different things. It would take about 10 pages to list exactly what I tried and how I tried it. If you want to recreate this problem, just find a boss/instance/warpnpc file that someone's been awesome enough to post, and try to add it to your server. Let me know how it works out for you.

I've been reduced to running around and .killing everything on my server - "virtually" going postal... :P

Thanks for help

/K2's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I FINALLY got something to work and I would give the credit to GastricPenguin and his DLL Compiling guide.

If you are getting this error and you have made sure everything is set up properly in VC++, make sure your files are in the same place as all the other files in the scripts.sln. In that .sln you have InstanceScripts, GossipScripts, SpellHandlers, etc. They all have their own little folders in /src/scripts/src. Make sure your project has a folder there as well.

Also, I don't if it made a difference, but I follow instructions to the letter. In GastricPenguin's guide, he said to edit the makefile. I did this just like he said.

Hope this helps the rest of you I've seen posting about this problem. And, please, if I've done a bad job of explaining or said something incorrect, correct me if you know the right way. Otherwise, check out GastricPenguin's guide.