Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private server on another computer...detectable by Warden etc?

Wife and I use separate computers to play on a private server, which is hosted by a third computer that's always on.

I sometimes play on a real server. Real server wow directory is on C drive, and I have another copy of the wow directory on D drive just for the private server use. I'm very careful not to mix up the two.

Should I worry about an account ban? Does warden see 2 directories and flags that, or extra account directories that shouldn't be there etc?

I thought about trying to forbid the private server wow.exe from accessing the internet also. Suppose I could cut the server from the internet, and just maintain a lan connection. Still a little eerie loading up private wow.exe and reading which realms will go down for maintenance each week.

What do you think?

Private server on another computer...detectable by Warden etc?
    Remus's Avatar Banned

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine >.> at least I have yet to hear anyone getting banned or a supina over it.

myran2's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Poker4Living View Post
    Wife and I use separate computers to play on a private server, which is hosted by a third computer that's always on.

I sometimes play on a real server. Real server wow directory is on C drive, and I have another copy of the wow directory on D drive just for the private server use. I'm very careful not to mix up the two.

Should I worry about an account ban? Does warden see 2 directories and flags that, or extra account directories that shouldn't be there etc?

I thought about trying to forbid the private server wow.exe from accessing the internet also. Suppose I could cut the server from the internet, and just maintain a lan connection. Still a little eerie loading up private wow.exe and reading which realms will go down for maintenance each week.

What do you think?
    You're fine.
    You honestly don't even need 2 separate wow dirs, let alone 2 seperate wow dirs on different drives

2dgreengiant's Avatar ★ Elder ★

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warden is ONLY is active when you are on retail. It does NOT matter if you use one wow folder for both,
    If you need me you have my skype, if you don't have my skype then you don't need me.

choweyiii's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been private servers for three years and nothing has happened, or will happen, I don't even change my realms list any more. Blizzard has a shit ton of other things to worry about, they won't randomly scan your computer. You have a paid account, so you're a friend to Blizzard.

AngelSandy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Warden does is looking for Malware in your folders or in your process list.
    Sometimes custom patches and the likes. Not if you have a gazzilion folders or anything else ^^

hulm's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I've been playing for years both retail and private servers on the same drive/folder, even sometimes having a retail and private client up at the same time, never once have I got a warning/ban or anything of the sort.

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put both in the same folder and you'll be fine. Heck, make a ticket "My pserver crashed, halp!" and you'll be fine.. Not only doesn't Warden (or any other) program detect if you got a pserver on your computer, GMs/blizzard dont care. It's free advertisement for them, the only ones getting in trouble are the ones earning millions (-cough-wowscape-cough) on private servers. I've seen 3 kind of people on Pservers: 1. the kind that plays retail as well and just does Pservers to try out classes and **** around a bit. (Those pay, so why bother banning them?)
    2. the kind that hasn't ever player wow and starts on a pserver. (High chances they'll switch to retail, so why bother banning them?)
    3. The kiddies that can't pay/failed to steal their mommys CC. (They can't pay, but don't have an account you can ban either...)