Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading my first memory

Hi,

I'm new to this, but I'm slowly moving forward while banging my head against the wall. I'm currently trying to read my first memory. Since I do some work in Node I'm trying to give node a try for this. I understand it's not the most used language here and it obviously has its reasons.

Lib I'm using GitHub - Rob--/memoryjs: Read and write process memory in NodeJS

Code I'm currently using

Code:
    const memoryjs = require('memoryjs');
    const processName = 'WowClassic.exe';

// Playername
    const offset = 0x2688828;
    const processObject = memoryjs.openProcess(processName);

console.log(JSON.stringify(processObject, null, 4));

const value = memoryjs.readMemory(processObject.handle, processObject.modBaseAddr + offset, "dword");

console.log(value);
    console.log('done');

// dword 257656872
    // str (�[�
    I got the playerName offset from a thread here at the forum. I hope it's correct. From what I understand I'm supposed to read the memory at process base adress + offset?

However the results I get confuse me. The datatypes that the lib has support for can be found here Memory . Rob--/memoryjs Wiki . GitHub. I tried with a bunch of different datatypes where dword gave me the result 257656872 and str gave (�[� . Am I reading the wrong adress to start with or have I just messed up with the datatype? If anyone wants to give me a hint it would be greatly appreciated!

Additional question. As to not risk my main account I set up an EC2 on AWS. There I created a new b.net account with a subscription and I run wow. I'm writing my code locally pushing to git and then pulling it on the EC2 and running it there. It's very convenient but if anyone has some similar setup that may be cheaper I would gladly hear about it as gpu instances are fairly expensive on AWS.

Reading my first memory
    Hazzbazzy's Avatar wannabe hackerlol Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    243/484
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK JSON has no support for any sort of hexadecimal based type?
    Why not start with a language such as C++ or C#?

Is there a reason you can't run WoW in a Hyper-V instance, or even VMWare?
    "HOLY TIME MACHINE BATMAN! it's 1973!"
    https://youtube.com/Hazzbazzy

3. Thanks stabbarolof (1 members gave Thanks to Hazzbazzy for this useful post)
    stabbarolof's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply! I haven't used Hyper-V since I'm not sure if Blizzard is able to link an account running on a VM with another account running outside of it. And In the long run it would be nice to be able to run the program independent of my local setup.

I think I will try something more low level like C++ och C#. I mainly wanted to get something basic running, but I might as well start learning something lower for the long run. I will have a look at the examples in other threads and start there.

Hazzbazzy's Avatar wannabe hackerlol Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    243/484
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stabbarolof View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I haven't used Hyper-V since I'm not sure if Blizzard is able to link an account running on a VM with another account running outside of it. And In the long run it would be nice to be able to run the program independent of my local setup.

I think I will try something more low level like C++ och C#. I mainly wanted to get something basic running, but I might as well start learning something lower for the long run. I will have a look at the examples in other threads and start there.
    You are also better learning on an older version of WoW. Blizzard stepped up their security game significantly since 7.X.
    "HOLY TIME MACHINE BATMAN! it's 1973!"
    https://youtube.com/Hazzbazzy