0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently unsafe memory reading and/or input implementation

Greetings everyone. I've written a simple tool (C#) that reads memory from WoW and sends keystrokes into its window and it got me banned (a throwaway account) - 3rd party software. I've used ReadProcessMemory and PostMessage functions, could those be easily detected? While reading I also used the function OpenHandle, could the handle get me detected? I heard something about hijacking a handle but never tested it myself. I have always thought that injecting a .dll is more dangerous thus kept using ReadProcessMemory and PostMessage to stay "safe" but apparently it's not enough. Maybe someone could point me to a direction which would help me to stay more evasive? Thanks in advance.

Apparently unsafe memory reading and/or input implementation
    xalcon's Avatar Contributor ふたなり
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    20/58
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you dont do any special counter measures, all of your listed win32 api calls are easily detected.

* OpenHandle: You can easily get a list of open handles to a process. While this is not an immediate give-away (a lot of services open handles to other processes), its a starting point for blizzard.
    * Read/WriteProcessMemory: Not as easy to detect, but not really hard either. Still a candidate for False-Positives since genuine apps might use this to inject their payload into running processes.
    * PostMessage: Probably the easiest to detect and a bit harder to work around. When a process is working with the Windows Messaging Queue, it can use the GetCurrentInputMessageSource API to get an INPUT_MESSAGE_SOURCE object. This object contains information about the source of this event (i.e. is it injected or does it come from a hardware device?).
    GetCurrentInputMessageSource function (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs
    INPUT_MESSAGE_SOURCE (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs
    INPUT_MESSAGE_ORIGIN_ID (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

Regarding OpenHandle and RPM/WPM: I'm not sure if handle hijacking would get you anywhere due to the rather specific requirements the handle needs to meet.
    I dare to say that DLL Injection is just as safe as RPM/WPM these days, considering all the invasive external services like screen overlays, anti-malware apps, sandboxes, etc.

I think you were detected due to all reasons combined. Using just RPM/WPM or PostMessage alone shouldn't get you banned due to false positives. I.e. the input mapper WoWMapper (used to play wow with a gamepad with the addon ConsolePort) uses postmessage and I have yet to see any ban reports for using that tool.

Personally, I just use an arduino micro for hardware input simulation. I'm injecting myself into the wow process (using a simple technique that doesnt require a codecave, WPM and friends). The injected code doesnt contain any botting logic. It's just a dumb agent that gets memory requests from an external service. This limits me to one wow client per PC, but I got my hands onto some really cheap hardware (~40fps at minimum details) so it's not an issue for me.
    "Threads should always commit suicide - they should never be murdered" - DirectX SDK

PhoenixVip1337's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you use PostMessage with a random delay ?
    what exactly was the bot ? grind ? fish ? healbot ?

you speak about WriteProcessMemory;
    do you use it exactly? in which case ?

for targeting ? for CTM ? for Direction change ?

Skavi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xalcon Thanks for info, it sheds some light on how these thing may look on blizzard's end.
    @PhoenixVip1337 I have a delay, yes. I don't write to the memory, I used to write for CTM a couple of years ago and even my trial accounts got banned after some tests. Since then I have only been reading memory and all input was through PostMessage, it's a simple farming bot (grind + skinning). Been working just fine until recently. :confused:

Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @skavi i use c++ and PostMessageW me to; because for me; you have no luck if u get ban;
    3rd party software; i don't think they lost time to scan ur "application" if is private; that have no chance ^^'; probably it's possible the bot banned only by report ? or bot play a lot of time never disconnect xD or some friend report you!
    Last edited by PhoenixVip1337; 12-03-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Skavi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PhoenixVip1337 do they really have to scan the app ? I thought they might have some mechanisms to catch that automatically...

Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they i think they don't detectt APP; but the rotation of bot; or same road; or same mechanisms with same timer; same time for loot; or same postMessage with same delay (cycle dps); or something like that; + report of players ...

zakkord's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got reported by other people and banned after a manual review. There is no "detections"

Unbaar's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how long were you using this before you were banned?

As others mentioned, the #1 source of getting banned is player reports, not detecting your private hack. Were you in a guild? Did you message other players and talk?
    Last edited by Unbaar; 12-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Skavi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know reports basically draw attention, then it has to be reviewed by blizzard. But blizzard won't ban you for 3rd party software without hard evidance. I had used this tool for about a year and if I ever got a ban it was "abuse of economy" ban, this one is the first one for 3rd party software.
    @zakkord I bet there are "detections", remember the latest times of hb when you could run the bot for 5 min then close it and then get a ban some weeks later. The similar thing happened when I was exploring memory editing in wow on trial accounts, it couldn't look suspicious for someone to report me and yet something triggered and those accounts got a ban for 3rd party software.
    I was just wondering if someone could direct me to some of the "special counter measures" concepts that could be implemented in order to make my tool less noticeable.

charles420's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    25/119
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i personally inject a dll into a system process that has a handle to wow and do my memory reading / writing from there reason for it was for a extra layer to hide from sig scans and not opening a new handle if i ever decided to mass releases it , also on that note just because you do that does not make it per say harder for them to detect you look at eac but both my bots i currently use that method / old school open handle read write still have not been banned i also dont bot 24-7 same profiles same rotations logoff it player follows for x amount of time respond to wispers with me randomly checking on it and so on
    Last edited by charles420; 12-04-2019 at 04:48 AM.

air999's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    9/62
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't bot 24x7

Skavi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @air999 But don't they have to make sure ? Get some hard proofs? Abuse of economy is fine, it's a pretty vague offense, but 3rd party software is quite straightforward. I remember hard botters/farmers that never got banned despite being reported and I thought it was because blizzard couldn't proof they were bots (I know they never show you the proofs for obvious reasons but I really did think they had some)

air999's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    9/62
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They scan for known patterns. They scan process memory, window titles, dlls, device drivers. But I doubt you will get ban for private dll injection.

Unbaar's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by air999 View Post
    They scan for known patterns. They scan process memory, window titles, dlls, device drivers. But I doubt you will get ban for private dll injection.
    Where did you learn that they're scanning device drivers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast