0/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Set Break Point and Do Debugging

I am working on the 8.0 live retail version.

I wrote my own memory scanner that implements some of the features of Cheat Engine (like scanning changed memory). Now I want to set break points and do some more advanced debugging. But I have no idea how to do it safely. Where should I start?

Normally, to set break point, i would suspend a target thread, change the Debug Register by calling SetThreadContext(). But is it safe to do it in the retail client? Do they constantly monitor the debug registers?

Also, if i need to debug the client, is it a must do dump the memory by ReadProcessMemory and analyze the dump file offline? Is it possible to interact with a live client safely? (it seems that at least a thread is constantly sending/receiving data to the server and setting breakpoints on that thread would get you disconnected)

How to Set Break Point and Do Debugging
    WiNiFiX's Avatar Banned
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SailorMars View Post

I wrote my own memory scanner that implements some of the features of Cheat Engine (like scanning changed memory). Now I want to set break points and do some more advanced debugging. But I have no idea how to do it safely. Where should I start?

Normally, to set break point, i would suspend a target thread, change the Debug Register by calling SetThreadContext(). But is it safe to do it in the retail client? Do they constantly monitor the debug registers?

Also, if i need to debug the client, is it a must do dump the memory by ReadProcessMemory and analyze the dump file offline? Is it possible to interact with a live client safely? (it seems that at least a thread is constantly sending/receiving data to the server and setting breakpoints on that thread would get you disconnected)
    No expert - but a starting point to disable anti-debugging in wow is to look at the changes wow does to ntdll.dll

pogob's Avatar Established Member
    Thanks G/R
    28/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SailorMars View Post

There's a lot of stuff that you have to change if you want to enable debugging. What WiNiFiX mentioned are 2 hooks that wow does to intercept int3 breakpoints. But there's many (like 6) checks against just attaching a debugger and there's also another check against hwbps.

If you want all the functionality of a debugger you have to bypass all the checks. If you just want to understand certain functions, however, there are alternative ways you could do it (hooking and getting the context thread for example).

JamesHook's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by WiNiFiX View Post
    No expert - but a starting point to disable anti-debugging in wow is to look at the changes wow does to ntdll.dll

Does anybody know the name of the tool?

danwins's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    6/62
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by JamesHook View Post
    Does anybody know the name of the tool?