349/296
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bookthread

These are books that our memory editing experts here at MMOwned suggests that you read if you want to get into memory editing/programming/reversing.

x86 Disassembly - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
    Originally Posted by Shynd
    Maybe not the best, but can be used to build a solid foundation for disassembling and reverse-engineering x86 applications. Add to that the fact that it's free and, in my opinion, it should be a must-read for anyone getting into game-hacking.

Amazon.com: C++ Primer (4th Edition) (9780201721485): Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo: Books C++ Primer (4th Edition): Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo: Books
    Originally Posted by Robske
    Amazing book, love it so far.
    I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't got programming experience prior to this though.
    Also, it doesn't take the "object orientated programming first" approach, which is quite refreshing.
    Otherwise, it's well structured, goes into detail, gives background information, points out the differences with C and so on
    Reversing:
    Amazon.com: Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering (978076457481: Eldad Eilam: Books/ Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering: Eldad Eilam: Books
    Your bible as a beginner. Know it, love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Debugging-Addison-Wesley-Microsoft-Technology/dp/0321374460
    dvanced Windows Debugging (Addison-Wesley Microsoft Technology Series): Mario Hewardt, Daniel Pravat: Books
    Not strictly a reversing book but an excellent resource for advanced debugging techniques. Also a great guide to using WinDbg.

http://www.amazon.com/IDA-Pro-Book-Unofficial-Disassembler/dp/1593271786 The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler: Chris Eagle: Books
    A guide to the most awesome reversing tool ever written.

Windows Programming:
    Amazon.com: Windows via C/C++ (Pro - Developer) (9780735624245): Jeffrey M. Richter, Christophe Nasarre: Books Amazon.com: Windows via C/C++ (Pro - Developer): Jeffrey M. Richter, Christophe Nasarre: Books
    An excellent resource on programming for the Windows platform. Includes 'advanced' topics such as DLL injection, API hooking, etc.
    Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Internals (4th Edition): Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 (9780735619173): Mark E. Russinovich, David A. Solomon: Books Microsoft Windows Internals (4th Edition): Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000: Mark E. Russinovich, David A. Solomon: Books
    A reference book full of all the gory details of Windows and its implementation. Lots of useful information and tidbits.

C++:
    Amazon.com: C++ Primer (4th Edition) (9780201721485): Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo: Books C++ Primer (4th Edition): Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo: Books
    A good book to learn C++ from as a beginner. (Note: Some programming experience recommended)

Amazon.com: Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (3rd Edition) (9780321334879): Scott Meyers: Books Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (3rd Edition) (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series): Scott Meyers: Books
    Lots of invaluable tips and information for the new C++ programmer. (Note: Recommended for new C++ programmers who have finished their 'tutorial' book and wish to get onto the more serious topics)

Amazon.com: More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (0785342633719): Scott Meyers: Books More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series): Scott Meyers: Books
    More of the former.

Amazon.com: Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library (0785342749625): Scott Meyers: Books Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series): Scott Meyers: Books
    Even more of the former, but with a focus this time on the STL.

Amazon.com: C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices (0076092018117): Herb Sutter, Andrei Alexandrescu: Books C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices (C++ In-Depth Series): Herb Sutter, Andrei Alexandrescu: Books
    Another collection of tips and things to avoid for the new C++ programmer.

http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-...ref=pd_sim_b_4 The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition (3rd Edition): Bjarne Stroustrup: Books
    Your reference to the C++ language, written by the creator of C++ himself.

Amazon.com: The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference (0785342379266): Nicolai M. Josuttis: Books The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference: Nicolai M. Josuttis: Books
    Your reference to the C++ Standard Library.

All of above, by Cypher
    Last edited by JD; 08-21-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Bookthread
  2. Thanks A Squishy Nerd, BigKahunaBurger (2 members gave Thanks to KuRIoS for this useful post)
    Kallblodig's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First! Thx for sharing!

daemonic666's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot ! Searching for em

undrgrnd59's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. I just bought the Reversing book and am reading it now. No doubt it has already taught me a lot about reading ASM.
    U59

Oowafas's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows internals has a new edition coming out in a few weeks that'll cover server '08 and vista if you're thinking of buying it you might want to wait. Also - has anyone seen anything good on driver programming?

lanman92's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have a chm on my comp. I'll add it as attachment if I can....

Sigh. I'll upload it to rapidshare or something.

amadmonk's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Reversing book is quite good, as is the Windows Internals book.

I also have the IDA book and it's okay.

As for the rest of it... too C++ heavy :P
    Don't believe everything you think.

barthen's Avatar Contributor Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    4/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Hackers-Handbook-Charles-Miller/dp/0470395362/"]Amazon.com: The Mac Hacker's Handbook: by Charles Miller (Author), Dino Dai Zovi[/ame]

is very good for learning injection and other evil things in MacOS 6):

Viter's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda off topic but...
    I want to learn C# (beginner) would you recommend any books?

theonewasi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBooks

:wave:On one of the other threads about books. APOC and others had posted some eBOOK(s) of the same titles listed here and those links are invalid now can any one of you be kind enough to repost.:wave:
    Last edited by theonewasi; 07-18-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Thread i was referring to : http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-memory-editing/198224-good-books-reverseing-programming.html

theonewasi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FenixTX2's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good resource for books is Scribd

i.e. C++ =
    C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition)
    or C# =
    C# in a nutshell by O'Reilly Media
    or ASM =
    Assembly Language Programming
    or Game Development (DirectX 2d/3d etc)
    XNA Game development for PC, Xbox and Zune
    It allows you to read the books online or download them in the format of your choice.
    Last edited by FenixTX2; 07-27-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Hyru's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought 3 of these. Also considering picking up a legit license of IDA Pro. Thank you for the recommendations.

KOS0937's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, honestly... do NOT buy the C++ Primer.

I bought it following these recommendations and already regretted it after a day or two...

It is badly structured and neither a book for the absolut beginner nor any advanced reading. The first function is defined on page 225. Up to that point a lot of functions are used, even the first 'class' written, without defining a single function... In fact: the Sales_item class used in the first chapter is not explained until chapter 14 (page 505+).
    Because of this weird structure, there are a lot of vague explanations about what a class is, what inheritance is etc. with a friendly reference "read more about this in 300 pages".

If you want a proper order of things you should read the book something like this:
    Code:
    Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    chapter 6
    half of chapter 7
    chapter 3,4,5
    chapter 12
    and so on......
    All in all its a very bad beginners book. It might be ok as a reference book if you already know some c++ but don't expect to find everything you are looking for. There are some advanced topics like custom allocator classes but other things are left out.

The only book i can recommend so far is "Professional C++" by Nicholas A. Solter and Scott J. Kleper ISBN 0-7645-7484-1.
    It is a bit more advanced, but there are very nice things about style of code etc. in there. Worth a look if you already know some c++ (or c!) (there is a pdf copy of this book somewhere on the web ).

EDIT: I don't know where i've gotten this from, but somewhere on the web there is a collection of "132 C and C++ ebooks". This collections contains both the C++ Primer (4th ed.) and Professional C++ (2005) as well as a lot of trash and maybe a few more good books?!
    Last edited by KOS0937; 09-16-2009 at 04:28 PM.

lanman92's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I torrented a massive zip of ~1100 computer books and it had a LOT of useful e-books in it, mostly consisting of chm'd books. Don't have the .torrent file anymore, but I would search it up on TBP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast