Developing a bot in C++ vs C# vs Python menu

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    0xFA's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Developing a bot in C++ vs C# vs Python

    Hello Everyone!

    I started writing a bot for farming(private servers: vanilla, TBC). Since I had to work with pointers, the choice was made in favor of C++.
    When I started looking for information about WoW bots, I started to notice that there were a lot more code examples in C#. My C++, C#, and Python skills are about the same.
    My questions:

    1. Why do most people develop bots in C#?
    2. Should I rewrite my bot in C# or continue with C++?
    3. How would you rate the difficulty of writing a bot in 3 languages?
    e.g.
    If C# is 100%
    C++ 150%
    Python 110%

    Developing a bot in C++ vs C# vs Python
  2. #2
    Hazzbazzy's Avatar wannabe hackerlol Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1334
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Thanks G/R
    242/483
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 0xFA View Post
    Hello Everyone!

    I started writing a bot for farming(private servers: vanilla, TBC). Since I had to work with pointers, the choice was made in favor of C++.
    When I started looking for information about WoW bots, I started to notice that there were a lot more code examples in C#. My C++, C#, and Python skills are about the same.
    My questions:

    1. Why do most people develop bots in C#?
    2. Should I rewrite my bot in C# or continue with C++?
    3. How would you rate the difficulty of writing a bot in 3 languages?
    e.g.
    If C# is 100%
    C++ 150%
    Python 110%
    3: Python vs C/C++ vs Assembly side-by-side comparison - YouTube
    "HOLY TIME MACHINE BATMAN! it's 1973!"
    https://youtube.com/Hazzbazzy

  3. Thanks hackerlol (1 members gave Thanks to Hazzbazzy for this useful post)
  4. #3
    0xFA's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difficulty != number of lines of code.

  5. #4
    maikel233's Avatar Contributor
    Reputation
    137
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    109
    Thanks G/R
    38/64
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most choose C# because most application developers jobs are C# oriented and they already have experience in that field.
    You can code in any language you like but if you have most expierence with c++ why even use c#?

  6. #5
    0xFA's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by maikel233 View Post
    I think most choose C# because most application developers jobs are C# oriented and they already have experience in that field.
    You can code in any language you like but if you have most expierence with c++ why even use c#?
    I feel like C# is an extra layer that can cause unnecessary issues and pitfalls while debugging. Or are my expectations unfounded?

  7. #6
    scizzydo's Avatar Active Member
    Reputation
    74
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    75
    Thanks G/R
    4/31
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 0xFA View Post
    Difficulty != number of lines of code.
    I feel you didn't even watch the video if this is your reply. However, as a serious answer, anything you are the most comfortable in and can make something with is the obvious answer. I started my adventure in the cheating realm and switched to C++ and am glad I did. It makes things so much easier, but also is harder to do a few other things in if you're not experienced.

  8. Thanks Hazzbazzy (1 members gave Thanks to scizzydo for this useful post)
  9. #7
    Hazzbazzy's Avatar wannabe hackerlol Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1334
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Thanks G/R
    242/483
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 0xFA View Post
    Difficulty != number of lines of code.
    This video was intended to help you make an informed choice.
    Difficulty is completely subjective depending on the person.

    If you want my actual opinion, learn C and x86 Assembly, as everything else is commonly easier to learn as a result of learning at least C, or C++; in order of (subjective) difficulty from easy to hard, Python is the easiest, then C#, then C++, then C, then x86 Assembly.
    Python is also the worst language you could learn out of these options, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Hazzbazzy; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:45 AM.
    "HOLY TIME MACHINE BATMAN! it's 1973!"
    https://youtube.com/Hazzbazzy

  10. #8
    charles420's Avatar Contributor
    Reputation
    315
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    329
    Thanks G/R
    25/119
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it can be done in any lang look at autoit just pick what ever lang you feel comfy in

  11. #9
    0xFA's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Hazzbazzy View Post
    This video was intended to help you make an informed choice.
    Difficulty is completely subjective depending on the person.

    If you want my actual opinion, learn C and x86 Assembly, as everything else is commonly easier to learn as a result of learning at least C, or C++; in order of (subjective) difficulty from easy to hard, Python is the easiest, then C#, then C++, then C, then x86 Assembly.
    Python is also the worst language you could learn out of these options, in my opinion.
    Why do you think python is the worst?

  12. #10
    0xFA's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by scizzydo View Post
    ... and switched to C++ and am glad I did. It makes things so much easier, but also is harder to do a few other things in if you're not experienced.
    Please be more specific. This is exactly the information I'm looking for.

  13. #11
    GameHelper's Avatar ★ Elder ★ CoreCoins Purchaser
    Reputation
    2399
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,022
    Thanks G/R
    451/2144
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 0xFA View Post
    Hello Everyone!

    I started writing a bot for farming(private servers: vanilla, TBC). Since I had to work with pointers, the choice was made in favor of C++.
    When I started looking for information about WoW bots, I started to notice that there were a lot more code examples in C#. My C++, C#, and Python skills are about the same.
    My questions:

    1. Why do most people develop bots in C#?
    2. Should I rewrite my bot in C# or continue with C++?
    3. How would you rate the difficulty of writing a bot in 3 languages?
    e.g.
    If C# is 100%
    C++ 150%
    Python 110%
    1. Why do most people develop bots in C#?

    I don't know about most people, however, I choose C# rather than c++/python because there was shit ton of helping material available in that language when it comes to botting, memory reading/writing, and win32/Graphic programming. While this might be true for c++ as well, I didn't choose c++ because I haven't touched the language in last 10+ years. However, if I have to do everything from scratch, I would probably go with c++ since that gives you more control and options. You can also go deep with c++ if you want (not that you have to).

    As you can see from my answer, when it comes to botting/hacks/overlays, speed doesn't matter a lot since remote-process-memory-reading is going to slow you down anyway.
    Unless you inject your bot in the game process itself, in that case, c++ it is + instant ban.

    2. Should I rewrite my bot in C# or continue with C++?

    unless there is a road block, I wouldn't recommend switching language.

    3. How would you rate the difficulty of writing a bot in 3 languages?

    no one writes a bot from scratch, they always have to rely on other ppl work (at least initially while they are learning). So ease of writing a bot in all 3 language depends on which language you find the reference code/libraries in for that specific game? for me it was c# so i went that route.
    Last edited by GameHelper; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:45 PM.
    If I did not reply to you, it mean the question you are asking is stupid.

  14. Thanks 0xFA (1 members gave Thanks to GameHelper for this useful post)
  15. #12
    scizzydo's Avatar Active Member
    Reputation
    74
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    75
    Thanks G/R
    4/31
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by GameHelper View Post
    1. Why do most people develop bots in C#?

    I don't know about most people, however, I choose C# rather than c++/python because there was shit ton of helping material available in that language when it comes to botting, memory reading/writing, and win32/Graphic programming. While this might be true for c++ as well, I didn't choose c++ because I haven't touched the language in last 10+ years. However, if I have to do everything from scratch, I would probably go with c++ since that gives you more control and options. You can also go deep with c++ if you want (not that you have to).

    As you can see from my answer, when it comes to botting/hacks/overlays, speed doesn't matter a lot since remote-process-memory-reading is going to slow you down anyway.
    Unless you inject your bot in the game process itself, in that case, c++ it is + instant ban.

    2. Should I rewrite my bot in C# or continue with C++?

    unless there is a road block, I wouldn't recommend switching language.

    3. How would you rate the difficulty of writing a bot in 3 languages?

    no one writes a bot from scratch, they always have to rely on other ppl work (at least initially while they are learning). So ease of writing a bot in all 3 language depends on which language you find the reference code/libraries in for that specific game? for me it was c# so i went that route.
    I find it funny when I see the claims of "Unless you inject your bot in the game process itself, in that case, c++ it is + instant ban."

    I've been internal on retail for years without a single ban.

  16. #13
    scizzydo's Avatar Active Member
    Reputation
    74
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    75
    Thanks G/R
    4/31
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 0xFA View Post
    Please be more specific. This is exactly the information I'm looking for.
    I chose C++ for a few reasons. First was because of the ease to do things, and like mentioned the ability to go pretty deep. Second was all the places I've worked, C++ has been the thing, not C#. Lastly was because of also other things I do, C++ is just the best option.

    With these other choices, you tend to have bloated assemblies, easy detection vectors. If blizzard (or any game) wants to find you, it doesn't matter if internal or external.

  17. #14
    GameHelper's Avatar ★ Elder ★ CoreCoins Purchaser
    Reputation
    2399
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,022
    Thanks G/R
    451/2144
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by scizzydo View Post
    I find it funny when I see the claims of "Unless you inject your bot in the game process itself, in that case, c++ it is + instant ban."

    I've been internal on retail for years without a single ban.
    yeah that part varies a lot, my bad for assuming the worst case scenario, depends on a shit ton of factors, some are in our control and some aren't.
    If I did not reply to you, it mean the question you are asking is stupid.

  18. #15
    0xFA's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by scizzydo View Post
    I've been internal on retail for years without a single ban.
    And in the process of developing and debugging the bot, you weren’t banned? What approach did you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] CR Bot - GG Loader VS HandsFree
    By yolen in forum WoW Bots Questions & Requests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 03:45 AM
  2. Can you develop a bot in a game engine like Unity?
    By Scott McKay in forum WoW Memory Editing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 02:45 AM
  3. OSX Bots in development [non rotation]?
    By garoboldy in forum WoW Bots Questions & Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 10:36 PM
  4. In Process vs. Out of Process memory editing
    By motodrizzle in forum Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 08:23 AM
  5. Micrognome: Developing a bot in lua
    By layane1982 in forum WoW Memory Editing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 05:47 AM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2024 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search