Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mining Guide

OK well here is a mining guide enjoy.

The profession of mining is a primary trade skill in the World of Warcraft. When choosing mining as a primary skill, make sure you really want it, as you may only have two skills at one. You are able to unlearn trade skills but if you do this, you will lose all your skill points in it. If you were to start mining again you would have to start from the bottom, not at your last skill level.

Who uses Mining?

Character class does not really come into play when choosing mining as a skill. The other primary skill that you chose has more of a role on determining if you should take mining.

What other skills go well with mining?

Usually mining is used as a second skill to go along with either Blacksmithing or Engineering. Mining can also be used with a second gathering skill as a way to make money, teamed up with skinning or herbalism. Skinning is the best choice though as you can only have your mini-map showing the location of one type of resource at a time, so either ore or herbs, not both.

Can I make anything with mining?

Not really. Mining’s only products are bars of the ore that you mine.

Why can’t I mine or smelt Mithril?

You can only mine or smelt ore that you have enough skill points to handle. The required skill is shown in the chart below.

Ore Mining Skill required
    Copper 1
    Tin 65
    Silver 75
    Bronze 75*
    Iron 125
    Gold 155
    Steel 165 **
    Mithril 175
    Truesilver 230
    Dark Iron 230
    Small Thorium veins and deposit 250
    Rich Thorium Deposits 275

NOTES:
    * Bronze is not mined. It is smelted from copper and tin. 1 bar of each will produce 2 Bronze bars.
    ** Steel is not mined. It is smelted from iron and coal. 1 iron bar and 1 piece of coal will produce 1 steel bar.
    How do I increase my mining skill?

Your increase your skill by mining progressively more difficult ore veins.

Why didn’t my skill increase 50 points when I mined 50 copper veins?

Your skill only increases if you mine progressively harder ores. All ore veins are color coded for difficulty.

What are the difficulty ratings for ore veins?

From easiest to hardest the colors are grey, green, yellow, orange and red. Ore veins that are red can not be mined by your character yet. Orange veins will always increase your skill, yellow veins sometimes increase your skill, green veins will rarely increase your skill, and grey veins will never increase your skill.

Where are the mining trainers found?

All major cities and most towns have mining trainers. Most major cities and towns also have journeyman blacksmith trainers. To train as a journeyman you need 50 skill points in mining and at least level 10. To train as an expert miner you must have 125 skill points in mining, be at least level 20. Lastly to become an Artisan in mining you must first get to 200 skill points and level 35. All mining trainers are able to teach all levels of skill. The main trainers however are in Ironforge and Stormwind for the Alliance and the Undercity, Ogrimmar and Thunder Bluff for the Horde.

Are there Quests for mining?

No, there are currently no mining quests, although several quests for Blacksmithing are almost mining quests instead of blacksmithing quests.

Do I need any equipment to mine?

Yes, you need to have mining pick. You can purchase one from general trade supply vendors.

How do I mine ore?

Before you can mine any ore you need to find it. Generally it is found in rocky areas. We have included a table later on in this guide that shows general zone locations for different ores. Once you find the ore all you have to do is run up to it and mine it. Remember to avoid or kill any MOBS in the area.

In what zones do I find metal to mine?

Below is a table of which zones contain which forms of metal. The listed zones are the most common zones to spawn the metal. It is possible to find the occasional metal of the lower types in almost any zone. The zones in the table are the zones you would be able to farm for that type of metal.

NOTE: True Silver is not listed on the chart. Truesilver is a rare spawn of Mithral and Thorium, so search the zones containing these two metals.

Ore Vein Found in Zones
    Copper The Barrens, Darkshore, Dun Morogh, Durotar, Duskwood, Elwynn Forest, Hillsbrad Foothills, Loch Modan, Mulgore, Redridge Mountains, Silverpine Forest, Tirisfal Glades, Thousand Needles, Westfall, Wetlands
    Tin Arathi Highlands, Ashenvale, Badlands, The Barrens, Darkshore, Duskwood, Hillsbrad Foothills, Loch Modan, Redridge Mountains, Silverpine Forest, Stonetalon Mountains, Stranglethorn Vale, Thousand Needles, Westfall, Wetlands
    Silver Ashenvale, The Barrens, Duskwood, Stonetalon Mountains, Thousand Needles
    Gold Arathi Highlands, Duskwood, Thousand Needles
    Iron Alterac Mountains, Arathi Highlands, Ashenvale, Badlands, The Barrens, Duskwood, Hillsbrad Foothills, Hinterlands, Stonetalon Mountains, Stranglethorn Vale, Swamp of Sorrows, Thousand Needles, Wetlands
    Mithril Alterac Mountains, Arathi Highlands, Azshara, Badlands, The Barrens, Blasted Lands, Desolace, Felwood, Feralas, Hillsbrad Foothills, Hinterlands, Searing Gorge, Stonetalon Mountains, Stranglethorn Vale, Swamp of Sorrows, Tanaris
    Thorium Azshara, Blasted Lands, Eastern Plaguelands, Felwood, Searing Gorge, Tanaris, Un'Goro Crater, Winterspring

How do I find the exact location of the ore?

The ore veins will generally be in and around rocky areas. To find the exact locations ensure that your "Locate minerals" ability is turned on and the veins will show up on your mini-map.

Is that all there is to mining? Getting Ore and smelting it to bars?

Besides mining for Ore, you also almost always get stone of varying quality from the ore veins that is used in blacksmithing recipes. You also occasionally get Gems from the ore veins. Gems can sell for large amounts of gold to various other professions for recipes.

In what ore do I find which stones?

Ore Vein Stone found
    Copper Rough Stone
    Tin Course Stone
    Iron Heavy Stone
    Mithril Solid Stone
    All Thorium veins and deposit Dense Stone

In what ore do I find which Gems?

Ore Vein Gems found
    Copper Lesser Moonstone, Malachite, Moss Agate, Shadowgem, Tigerseye
    Tin Lesser Moonstone, Malachite, Moss Agate, Shadowgem, Tigerseye
    Iron Aquamarine, Citrine, Jade, Lesser Moonstone
    Mithril Aquamarine, Black Vitriol, Citrine, Jade, Lesser Moonstone, Star Ruby
    Small Thorium veins and deposit Black Vitriol, Blue Sapphire, Large Opal, Star Ruby
    Rich Thorium Deposits Azerothian Diamond, Arcane Crystal, Blue Sapphire, Huge Emerald, Large Opal, Star Ruby

What is Claim Jumping?

Claim jumping is just what it would be in real life. Sometimes you will come across an ore vein that is already being mined. Claim jumping would be running in and stealing a "hit" off of the vein whiles someone else is already doing there. They have likely had to fight through the surrounding MOBS and spend time and effort doing so. It would be in very poor taste to go in and steal the ore that they worked for. That being said, if you are on a PVP server, and the miner is from the opposite faction, feel free to go ahead and steal the ore from them. It is a war after all! Never steal from a fellow faction member though, it is a good way to get blacklisted in the game.

Can you share an ore vein?

Yes, in fact this is an excellent way to level your skill. An ore vein grants a skill point only on the first time being mined by a player. If you take turns mining the vein all players in your party can gain skill points. If you mine and do not take the ore produced you can allow many different miners to gain skill off the vein.
    Last edited by Jchunx; 09-17-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Don't ask for rep

Mining Guide