0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skinning Guide

Here is a Skinning Guide

.1 What's good about Skinning?

Additional income from around 50% of everything you kill and even some things you do not kill.

2.2 What Profession type or category is Skinning?

Primary. It DOES count against your limit of two (2) Primary Professions.

Gathering.

2.3 How does Skinning work with the various classes?

Skinning works best in conjunction with the Leatherworking Profession, more then any class. Rogues, Hunters, Druids and Shamans all benefit from being able to wear the items they make with Leatherworking and the Skinning/Leatherworking combo is a good match for these classes. Warriors, Paladin, and Shamans whom want to kill lots of stuff and not waste much time might also consider Skinning.

2.4 What professions does Skinning match up with well?

BEST: Leatherworking: This is the ideal combination for skinning. Everything you skin is a component of some form for leatherworking. You can even take lesser skins (like Light Leather) and combine several to form better skins (like Medium Leather). If you are doing Leatherworking in conjunction with Skinning, you should definitely read Emli’s Leatherworking FAQ: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...ThreadID=43110

GOOD: Mining or Herbalism: If you are going for an all gathering type of motif, these might be okay combinations.

OKAY: Blacksmithing & Tailoring: At higher levels certain recipes require leather as a component.

EHH: Engineering: There are some, although not too many, recipes in engineering that require leather as a component.

POOR: Other Professions: Honestly, these don’t really work well with Skinning.

If you are doing professions to just make money, you may want to read Hopap’s Guide to Making Money. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...ThreadID=62275

3. ABOUT THE ACT OF SKINNING

3.1 I would like to learn Apprentice Skinning, who can train me?

Any Skinning Trainer: Locate a Skinning Trainer and ask to be trained.

You may train Skinning at any level.

Skinning Trainer Locations: Most medium or larger cities have a Skinning Trainer. Ask a guard for directions.

It will cost 10 copper to learn Apprentice Skinning. If you are in a city where you have a reputation of Honorable or better you will receive the standard honorable discout on your training.

3.2 How do I Skin something?

You must know the Skinning Skill. Go to a Skinning trainer and get Apprentice Skinning.

You must buy a Skinning Knife. You can find a Skinning Knife on most Trade Goods merchants. You do not need to equip the knife, merely have it in a bag in your possession.

Kill something. Remove all the loot off of the corpse and wait a few seconds. If you can skin that creature, you will get a skinning icon when you move your mouse over the corpse. Right click on the corpse, and the skinning animation will start. Once completed a loot bag will appear with the items you skinned.

3.3 Can I “Auto-loot” Skinning?

As of the patch on December 21, 2004, Auto-Loot while skinning is now working.

To use this, hold the SHIFT key down when you click on a corpse to skin it. The SHIFT key must be held down when you do the click, but does not have to be held down the entire time that skinning is in progress.

The corpse still needs to be clear of all loot prior to skinning.

3.4 Why do I need a Skinning Knife?

The game requires a Skinning Knife. Arguably, have you ever tried to skin something with a two handed broad sword? It’s not pretty.

3.5 Where can I get a Skinning Knife?

Trade Good Merchants: All Trade Good Merchants will sell a skinning knife. The price of a skinning knife runs about 82 copper, less if you get a honorable bonus in that city.

3.6 Do I ever need to upgrade my Skinning Knife?

No. The skinning knife you buy the first time is the only knife you will ever need for life.

Other skinning knives with bonuses to skinning may exist within the game.

3.7 Do I need to equip the Skinning knife in one of my hands?

No. Simply keep it in your bag.

Equipment which magically increases your skinning must be equipped to get the bonus.

3.8 Can my skinning knife be used as a weapon?

Yes, although it make a poor one. There is no durability associated with a Skinning knife, so it does not ever need to be repaired.

It should be noted that fighting with a skinning knife uses the Skinning Skill for calculating its hits, so if you have a 300 skinning skill this could be interestingly to your advantage. However, the damage from a skinning knife is minimal.

3.9 How long does it take to Skin something?

About five seconds.

3.10 Can I do anything while Skinning?

Limited things: Anything that can be done while channeling a spell or summoning a pet or opening a chest can be done while skinning. That is nothing that involves movement, casting a spell, or combat.

3.11 Can I be interrupted while Skinning?

Yes. Being attacked, moving, selling to a vendor, casting, or initiating combat will interrupt the skinning process.

3.12 Is there a level correlation to what I can skin?

You may skin any beast creature (non-humanoid) whose level is less then the number of skinning points you have divided by 5. Ergo, if you have 120 points in skinning you may skin up to a maximum of 24th level creatures.

You can calculate the lowest creature you can skin and still have a chance at skill gain by dividing your skinning level by 10. For example, if you have 120 points in skinning you have no chance of skill advancement by skinning 12th level or below creatures.

3.13 Can I Skin *Any* corpse?

If the corpse/creature is skinable, yes. If you move your mouse over a corpse, even one you did not kill, and it indicates it is skinable you may skin it. Also, a corpse must be completely empty of lootable items in order to be skinable. HOWEVER, PLEASE READ THE SKINNING ETIQUETTE QUESTION BELOW!

The various “low level” creatures that slither, hope, and skitter around the landscape can usually be skinned for Ruined Scraps. This can be especially useful at lower levels. I myself just love it when a heard of gazelles go running by and I can down the entire heard of 10 or so in less then a minute. 10 pieces of ruined scraps = 3 pieces of leather.

3.14 Is there a Skinning Etiquette that I should follow with regard to corpses?

Definitely! Just because you can skin nearly everything in sight does not mean it is polite to do so. Naturally, if you killed it, you have every right to skin it. However, invariable you will come across something that someone else killed, that you can skin. Etiquette demands that if there is another character near the corpse, they have the option to skin it. If the character moves away (say 5 human body lengths or more), then you may skin.

Under no circumstances should you rush in and “ninja skin” a creature just because you can do so. It’s simply rude to do so.

If you are in a group with another person whom skins, take turns.

3.15 Someone just Ninja-Skinned my corpse! What can I do?

Not a hell of a lot. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to stop the Ninja Skinners. Blizzard knows that this is a problem for the Skinning Community and eventually we may see some protections in the game. For now though, you’re just out of luck.

3.16 Must I loot the corpse entirely before skinning?

Yes, the corpse must have no loot on it in order to be skinned.

3.17 Are there any UI Modifications for Skinning?

No, I have never seen any UI modifications specifically for skinning.

There is a UI Modification that will put your loot bag when it opens directly under your mouse. This is helpful in speeding up your looting in general. You can find this by searching in the UI Customization Forum for “Telo”.

3.18 I am level x and just learned skinning for the first time but I cannot skin anything I kill. What am I doing wrong?

Like any starting profession you must perform the easy stuff before you can work on the tougher stuff. Because skinning is based on the level of the creature you killed you need to kill lower level stuff. The easiest way is to run back to where you started the game, the newbie zone (or near it at any rate). Quickly kill stuff and skin it. You’re skinning will go up fast. Move on to higher level creatures as your skinning increases.

For best effect, make sure to kill creatures that are equal to the number of points in skinning divided by 5. For example: If you have 120 points in skinning, you should be killing 24th level creatures or lower.

CONTINUES IN NEXT POST

Last edited by Morak on Thu May 19, 2005 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Morak
    FAQ Officer

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. ABOUT THE RESULTS OF SKINNING

4.1 What do I get when I skin something?

Depends on what you skin: Ruined Scraps, Light Leather, Medium Leather, Heavy Leather, Light Hide, Medium Hide, Heavy Hide, Thick Leather, Thick Hide, Rugged Leather, Deviate Scale, Perfect Deviate Scales, Turtle Scales, Core Leather, etc.

Generally you get 1 or two pieces of the same type per skinning operation. At lower levels that is all you will get and you will never get mixed types. At higher levels off specific creatures it is possible to get mixed types (scales and leather, etc).

At low levels there is a chance to get a “Skinning Failed” message. Sometimes this result in the corpse disappearing, sometimes you can try again.

You are about 10 times more likely to get leather when skinning then hide.

If you want to know where to find creatures that produce a certain type of skin go to http://www.thottbot.com. Select LEATHERWORKING, locate a leatherworking recipe with a component of the type you want. Click the component. The returned page will have a section called “Dropped by” and this gives you a list of creatures that produce the item when skinned.

4.2 How do I get Light Leather?

Light Leather is a skinning product from mobs starting at approximately 3rd level or higher. Higher mobs, obviously, have a greater chance of producing this drop.

Light Leather may also be made using Leatherworking from 3 Ruined Scraps.

4.3 How do I get Medium Leather?

Medium Leather is a skinning product from mobs starting at approximately 15th level or higher. Higher mobs, obviously, have a greater chance of producing this drop.

Medium Leather may also be made using Leatherworking from 4 Light Leather.

4.4 How do I get Heavy Leather?

Heavy Leather is a skinning product from mobs at approximately 25th level or higher. Higher mobs, obviously, have a greater chance of producing this drop.

Heavy Leather may also be made using Leatherworking from 5 Medium Leather.

4.5 Does Leather or Hide stack?

Leather stacks up to 10 per stack. Hide, if not cured, stack up to 5 per stack. Leatherworkers can cure hide (with Salt, 50 copper) and cured hide will stack up to 10 per stack.

4.6 Doesn’t all this leather take up a lot of room in your pack?

Yes. I personally have the largest slot bag I own (next to my 16) set aside for skinning and it’s not nearly enough room.

4.7 What can I do with Skins once I get them?

Ca-Ching! Skins can be sold to any merchant for a few extra copper, silver, or even gold eventually, depending on what your received when you skinned. The Auction House is also a good place to sell stacks of skins.

Leatherworking: More then just selling skins though, Skinning is a natural compliment to the Leatherworking Profession. Converting skins into armor, patches, cloaks, and the like can be very valuable. Not to mention the ability to take lesser skins and craft them into greater skins.

Blacksmithing: Some recipes of blacksmithing call for leather as a component.

Tailoring: Some recipes of tailoring call for leather as a component.

Engineering: A few recipes of engineering need leather as a component.

4.8 How much can I sell skins for?

Merchant Prices: 7 cp for a ruined scraps, 13 cp for light leather. Prices go up from there.

Player Prices fluctuate. William maintains a good guide on current prices. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...tmp=1#post3716

4.9 I heard there are epic quests you can get at higher skinning levels. Is this true?

There are several quests that are possible if you have extremely high skinning (read that as 300+). (Yes it is possible to have greater than 300 points in skinning with item enhancements.) And yes, some of these quests do have epic rewards.

This FAQ does not go into detail about these quests partially because there is nothing more then speculation known on it, and partially because it may be a spoiler to some people in the game.

If you do want more details about these quests I suggest you visit Thottbot: http://www.thottbot.com/

5. ABOUT ADVANCING IN SKINNING

5.1 How do I advance my Skinning Skill?

Skin stuff. Each time you skin something there is a chance that you might increase your skinning. The chance is related to your skinning level and the level of the corpse you are skinning.

5.2 Corpses are colored-coded according to the likelihood that harvesting then will increase your skill.

Red corpses may not be skinned.

Orange corpses will usually increase your skill when skinned.

Yellow corpses will sometimes increase your skill when skinned.

Green corpses will rarely increase your skill when skinned.

Gray corpses will never increase your skill when skinned.

5.3 What does advancing my Skinning Skill do?

The higher the skinning skill, the tougher the corpse you may skin. Tougher corpses yield greater and better resources.

There is also evidence that the higher your skill in skinning the chances of getting slightly better materials off of lower level corpses.

5.4 I’ve stopped getting skill points when I Skin. What’s going on?

You are at the maximum points. If you have reached the maximum number of skill points you may have at your skinning tier. See the Ranks/Levels below.

You are skinning gray corpses. Try skinning tougher corpses to advance skinning.

5.5 What are the different levels/ranks in the professions?

Rank (Min - Max Skills)

Apprentice (1-75)

Journeyman (50-150)

Expert (125-225)

Artisan (200-300)

5.6 What is the difference between Apprentice and Journeyman Skinning or Journeyman/Expert or Expert/Artisan?

The only difference between two different levels is the maximum amount of points you may have in Skinning. At Apprentice you may never exceed 75 points. At Journeyman you may never exceed 150 points. At Expert you may never exceed 225 points. At artisan you may never exceed 300 points.

Beyond the maximum skill points there is no other difference between the various levels. However, please note that the level of creature that you can skin is dependant on how many skill points you have.

It is possible to have more than 300 points in your skinning skill through items and enchantments.

5.7 Is there any level requirements for Skinning or the Skinning levels?

No, there are no level requirements for any gathering professions.

5.8 How much does it cost to train Apprentice/Journeyman/Expert/Artisan?

Apprentice: 5 copper

Journeyman: 5 silver

Expert: 50 silver

Artisan: 5 gold

If you are in a city where you have a reputation of Honorable or better you will receive the standard honorable discout on your training.

5.9 I am ready to train in Journeyman/Expert/Artisan, who can train me?

Any skinning trainer can train you at any level so long as you qualify. There is no Master trainer or the like that you might get with other professions.

Skinning trainers are usually found in the same shops as Leatherworking Trainers or right outside. All mid to large cities have a skinning trainer.

5.10 How do I "unlearn" Skinning

Go to your skills panel ("K") and highlight the skill you want to lose. It'll show up in the lower panel and next to it you'll have one of those circle with a slash "No" symbols. Click on that symbol to forget the skill. If you ever want to learn this profession again you will just start out as a novice.

5.11 What items give a bonus to skinning?

Enchanters can enchant a set of gloves for a +5 bonus to skinning when equipped.

Finkle’s Skinner, a dagger, gives a +10 when equipped.

Zulian Slicer, a one handed sword, gives a +10 when equipped.

5.12 What is the maximum skinning skill I can achieve?

With Skinning maxed out, with the +5 glove enchantment, and wielding Finkle’s Skinner (dagger) you can have a maximum of 315 Skinning.

THE END

Skinning Guide