AzerothCore VS Trinitycore ? menu

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Skremed's Avatar Active Member Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    16
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    23
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    AzerothCore VS Trinitycore ?

    Hey guys!

    I was wondering people with experience,which one will you chose for educational wow server?
    Azerothcore uses modules which seems neat but is it like scripting in trinity core?
    does it have the same flexibilty and also is the core stable in general?

    AzerothCore VS Trinitycore ?
  2. #2
    Spacechemist's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll certainly go with Azerothcore, but one thing to be known, it is not compatible with Eluna Lua Engine, which is quite annoying.
    At least whenever I am trying to compile them together, they don't go as expected.
    01101001 01100100 01101011 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101110

  3. #3
    Clotic's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    200
    Thanks G/R
    1/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isnt azerothcore DuckTapeEmu? And u cant really work in it no?

  4. #4
    shivaa95's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's azerothcore DuckTapeEmu ? I never heard of that.

    _____________________________________________
    Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip
    Last edited by shivaa95; 05-15-2020 at 09:17 AM.

  5. #5
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

    Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1613
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,554
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know AzerothCore supports C++ modules that you can reload without needing to restart the server and can compile independently. This nullifies many of the advantages that using a scripting language gives you. Eluna for TrinityCore gives you Lua support that provides these benefits with TrinityCore.

  6. #6
    Clotic's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    200
    Thanks G/R
    1/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    As far as I know AzerothCore supports C++ modules that you can reload without needing to restart the server and can compile independently. This nullifies many of the advantages that using a scripting language gives you. Eluna for TrinityCore gives you Lua support that provides these benefits with TrinityCore.
    oh, interesting. Probably gonna read about it a bit just that i "heard" it was DuckTapeEmu that u can't really work in the core itself.

  7. #7
    Method's Avatar Contributor Modding Enthusiast CoreCoins Purchaser
    Reputation
    115
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    89
    Thanks G/R
    2/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So from my own personal experience. (and what I have been told, directly) AzerothCore is a branch of TrinityCore, the reason for it's existence is that TrinityCore isn't really intended for rolling-out of servers to the public as-is. (TrinityCore has NEVER seriously been intended for 1000's of players simultaneously playing World of Warcraft)

    AzerothCore therefore contains A LOT of the improvements from SunwellCore to facilitate publically available servers to resolve this problem. So, If you want the core difference (between the cores, pardon the pun), it's that.

    As for AIO and stuff, both have the same or similar modules. A lot of the tool developers seem to be shifting their focus to AzerothCore OR they are working on BOTH TrinityCore AND AzerothCore simultaneously.

    Just because something is new and active right now in 2019 doesn't mean it's standard or has longevity like TrinityCore does, so keep that in mind.

    Earlier this year. AzerothCore CHANGED it's database-structure to resemble TrinityCore to remove issues with tool compatibility, and ease development of additional tools, basically standardisation so that we aren't working on two completely different server options, with two completely different sets of tools.

    With that major change recently happening: AzerothCore essentially IS Trinitycore. And AzerothCore are extremely careful NOT to distance themselves from existing tools and resources offered by or that exist for TrinityCore. It is already a fork of an older version of TrinityCore, with some major server improvements, and as this is the case, long-term support is perhaps NOT a guarantee and is tenuous. Less-so now with the database-restructuring.

    if TrinityCore does add SIGNIFICANT changes in the future, AzerothCore will be forced to essentially fork that TrinityCore version. If AzerothCore does add SIGNIFICANT improvements then AzerothCore might become an active alternative. similar to how C++ was a fork of C. But make no mistake that TrinityCore is the standardised WoW server option.

    AzerothCore's main "selling point" is "modules". what you'd think when you hear modules is chunks of code or content that can be dragged and dropped and are activated upon a server restart just like an addon would be. however, This isn't the case.

    For now: the modules AzerothCore DOES have are very basic "FunServer" modules.

    ..I think if AzerothCore/It's community are serious it needs to offer far better, user-submitted, unity-style modules.

    It's also worthwhile to point out that "Modules" in this case must be COMPILED and CANNOT simply be added to an existing server WITHOUT recompilation. Although this isn't awful, "modules" would imply a system similar to "addons" where a simple restart would be required. This is currently NOT the case.

    --

    I am interested in the future of AzerothCore, as it does seem to have a few talented people interested in the project. I personally hope for it to go in the direction of removing all existing content from the client, stripping down the client to the core essentials of the engine of World of Warcraft, and offering ALL existing-content and custom-content as optional modules. This means entire new games could be implemented upon the bare-bones engine via unity-style module options. This is something I believe the developers should seriously consider moving forwards.

    As for now, I'm sticking with TrinityCore because:
    1. I see no real reason to switch unless appealing modules begin to exist.
    2. I don't think the module system as-is is currently superior to TrinityCore.
    2. I do not plan to roll out a server to 1000+ players and my development is personal-use.
    3. Eluna and Rochet2 work for both TrinityCore and AzerothCore, with better support for TrinityCore. (I had to ask for a bug to be resolved for AzerothCore compilation, lol)
    4. C++ modules are cool, but again, require a recompile. Big setback.
    Last edited by Method; 11-28-2019 at 06:57 AM.

  8. Thanks stoneharry (1 members gave Thanks to Method for this useful post)
  9. #8
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

    Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1613
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,554
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Method View Post
    ...
    Thanks for the write up, Method. All good points.

    When you say modules require a recompile, do you mean the game project also needs to be compiled? Because if it's just the independent module being compiled it must be a fast compile time. The main frustration with working in C++ in WoW for me before was waiting 3-4 minutes for the gameserver to compile at 100% of your cpu each time you wanted to test a change.

    I personally hope for it to go in the direction of REMOVING EXISTING WoW content from the client, stripping down the client to the core essentials of the engine of World of Warcraft, and offering ALL existing content as optional modules. This means entire new games could be implemented upon the engine via unity-style module options. This is something I believe the developers should seriously consider moving forwards.
    What you describe would indeed be useful, but do you think there would be the demand, uptake, and support for this? It would be an enormous task to do this with multiple patch versions.
    Last edited by stoneharry; 10-21-2019 at 12:48 PM.

  10. #9
    Method's Avatar Contributor Modding Enthusiast CoreCoins Purchaser
    Reputation
    115
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    89
    Thanks G/R
    2/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post

    When you say modules require a recompile, do you mean the game project also needs to be compiled?


    do you think there would be the demand, uptake, and support for this? It would be an enormous task to do this with multiple patch versions.
    1) It's not as simple as say installing an addon would be. (i.e. drag, drop, relaunch) You need to have all of the modules you intend to use BEFORE you undergo the process of initial compilation of your server, given that these modules tend to be C++ they must be in your directories during cmake/visual studio compilation of your core.

    2) If AzerothCore did basically a full stripping-down of the game and making it run as bare-bones as possible (1 grey-box zone, db structure but no contents) and offered a system to either include or exclude certain modules, that could be incredibly interesting for the modding scene, to have a framework like that. It would mean someone could make a module with their own tool, or their own zone complete with respective quests/items. Would be incredibly nice to see something like this in the WoW modding scene. Also yeah I think it should stick mostly to 3.3.5 or live.
    Last edited by Method; 11-07-2019 at 03:14 PM.

  11. #10
    Mitradis's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    13
    Thanks G/R
    4/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trinity: 40,592 commits.
    Azeroth: 9,784 commits.
    Last edited by Mitradis; 12-03-2022 at 09:15 AM.

  12. #11
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

    Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1613
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,554
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Mitradis View Post
    Trinity: 40,592 commits.
    Azeroth: 9,784 commits.
    This thread is from 2019 so a lot of the information is out of date. But the number of commits does not mean a lot, like lines of code cannot be use as a measurement for anything.

    AC forked from TC and at that point likely didn't retain commit history.

  13. #12
    Mitradis's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    13
    Thanks G/R
    4/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AC team disconnected from the main community and decided to create "their" own project. They were guided by the architecture and plan of Trinity. They did not come up with anything new, but only did double work, transferring corrections from Trinity to "their" project.
    Over time, "their" project acquired its own bugs and errors that no one knows how to fix, because there are not enough good specialists in their team.
    They're porting the Trinity fixes very late. Most often, they do not transfer because they do not know or do not have the time and energy to build these corrections into "their" project.
    it would be good for everyone (and for them too) if they all worked for Trinity. And don't do double stupid work.

  14. #13
    DewmGuy's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    1
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    8
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Method View Post
    So from my own personal experience. (and what I have been told, directly) AzerothCore is a branch of TrinityCore, the reason for it's existence is that TrinityCore isn't really intended for rolling-out of servers to the public as-is. (TrinityCore has NEVER seriously been intended for 1000's of players simultaneously playing World of Warcraft)

    AzerothCore therefore contains A LOT of the improvements from SunwellCore to facilitate publically available servers to resolve this problem. So, If you want the core difference (between the cores, pardon the pun), it's that.

    As for AIO and stuff, both have the same or similar modules. A lot of the tool developers seem to be shifting their focus to AzerothCore OR they are working on BOTH TrinityCore AND AzerothCore simultaneously.

    Just because something is new and active right now in 2019 doesn't mean it's standard or has longevity like TrinityCore does, so keep that in mind.

    Earlier this year. AzerothCore CHANGED it's database-structure to resemble TrinityCore to remove issues with tool compatibility, and ease development of additional tools, basically standardisation so that we aren't working on two completely different server options, with two completely different sets of tools.

    With that major change recently happening: AzerothCore essentially IS Trinitycore. And AzerothCore are extremely careful NOT to distance themselves from existing tools and resources offered by or that exist for TrinityCore. It is already a fork of an older version of TrinityCore, with some major server improvements, and as this is the case, long-term support is perhaps NOT a guarantee and is tenuous. Less-so now with the database-restructuring.

    if TrinityCore does add SIGNIFICANT changes in the future, AzerothCore will be forced to essentially fork that TrinityCore version. If AzerothCore does add SIGNIFICANT improvements then AzerothCore might become an active alternative. similar to how C++ was a fork of C. But make no mistake that TrinityCore is the standardised WoW server option.

    AzerothCore's main "selling point" is "modules". what you'd think when you hear modules is chunks of code or content that can be dragged and dropped and are activated upon a server restart just like an addon would be. however, This isn't the case.

    For now: the modules AzerothCore DOES have are very basic "FunServer" modules.

    ..I think if AzerothCore/It's community are serious it needs to offer far better, user-submitted, unity-style modules.

    It's also worthwhile to point out that "Modules" in this case must be COMPILED and CANNOT simply be added to an existing server WITHOUT recompilation. Although this isn't awful, "modules" would imply a system similar to "addons" where a simple restart would be required. This is currently NOT the case.

    --

    I am interested in the future of AzerothCore, as it does seem to have a few talented people interested in the project. I personally hope for it to go in the direction of removing all existing content from the client, stripping down the client to the core essentials of the engine of World of Warcraft, and offering ALL existing-content and custom-content as optional modules. This means entire new games could be implemented upon the bare-bones engine via unity-style module options. This is something I believe the developers should seriously consider moving forwards.

    As for now, I'm sticking with TrinityCore because:
    1. I see no real reason to switch unless appealing modules begin to exist.
    2. I don't think the module system as-is is currently superior to TrinityCore.
    2. I do not plan to roll out a server to 1000+ players and my development is personal-use.
    3. Eluna and Rochet2 work for both TrinityCore and AzerothCore, with better support for TrinityCore. (I had to ask for a bug to be resolved for AzerothCore compilation, lol)
    4. C++ modules are cool, but again, require a recompile. Big setback.
    Found this thread digging through results on Google. This is conversation I what I wish was front and center in the warcraft emulation community. It's been a few years since you made this comment Method, where do you stand on these opinions now? I've been running a TC server privately for almost 10 years but I have never made enough time to really learn how the coding works -- just enough to get by and maybe fix some inconveniences. The TC community at least in publishing issues to the repo has become very terse and unfriendly. I used to submit dozens of fixes and always felt welcome to do so by the devs who accepted my tickets. Now it seems like a lot of people have left and have been replaced. It doesn't feel the same, and this makes me feel like it isn't developed as actively or with the same amount of enthusiasm as it was a few years back. I'm considering switching to AC if they have continued to improve their fork in the ways that TC has not, but I'm looking for more high-level advice.

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] TrinityCore Compiling - Building in VS 2015 Issue when complete
    By prospectunknown in forum WoW EMU Questions & Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2017, 06:30 AM
  2. [Core] AzerothCore: new project based on SunwellCore/TrinityCore
    By Lellon in forum World of Warcraft Emulator Servers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 05:30 AM
  3. Mac vs. Windows
    By Tenche in forum Community Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
  4. Warlock vs.-=Classes=-
    By B7huff in forum World of Warcraft Guides
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 01:15 PM
  5. Bg faction vs faction idea
    By Quake in forum World of Warcraft General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2024 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search