Centralized GitHub repo for plugins menu

User Tag List

KillerJohn's Avatar TurboHUD HUDmaster CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Centralized GitHub repo for plugins

Hi all!

I will create a GitHub repository which will basically contain the "plugins" and the "interfaces" folder from TurboHUD.

1) All plugins would go there: HUD's defaults plugin, approved plugins, and everybody's plugins
    2) All non-default plugins has to be Enabled = false by default
    3) Before every relese, I'll copy the latest source from that repo to my HUD repo and the release will contain ALL plugins, and I'll make sure it compiles
    4) If I refactor some stuff from in the interfaces then it will be automatically refactored/adjusted in my version of the plugin repo, and when I am done, I'll merge the changes back to the public repo

This way EVERY plugin will be included in ALL releases, but in a disabled state. Users would have to enable the plugins manually.

What do you think?
    Do not send me private messages unless it is absolutely necessary or the content is sensitive or when I ask you to do that...

Centralized GitHub repo for plugins
  2. Thanks Soldong, cherouvim13, itsmylife, ADV2015 (4 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    Crstina's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this would be a great! I just downloaded the new version of TH and none of my plugins will work.. causes TH stop working all together..

prrovoss's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    23/130
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by KillerJohn View Post
    3) Before every relese, I'll copy the latest source from that repo to my HUD repo and the release will contain ALL plugins, and I'll make sure it compiles
    this could be some work. otherwise its a great solution. i guess the plugin threads will still coexist with the repo? otherwise we always have to place a readme file with the plugin for instructions and configurations etc.

SeaDragon's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    140/299
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People will download the latest TurboHUD release from GitHub, no longer zippyshare.com?
    And include all everybody's plugins?
    I'm not sure it will make me more convenient, I usually modify it after downloading people's plugins to suit myself (for example, language etc.):shh:
    Now, I download the new HUD, copy my plugin folder to the new HUD folder. If there is a broken plugin, I just need to find the strings to replace them.

MrOne's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    66/141
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SeaDragon View Post
    People will download the latest TurboHUD release from GitHub, no longer zippyshare.com?
    I'm not sure it will make me more convenient, I usually modify it after downloading people's plugins to suit myself (for example, language etc.):shh:
    Now, I download the new HUD, copy my plugin folder to the new HUD folder. If there is a broken plugin, I just need to find the strings to replace them.
    Same here, this situation can make more problems than profits, but ... we can try if you are 100% sure about that

Thanks G/R
    23/130
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SeaDragon View Post
    im not sure if releases will be hosted on github. but if so, it makes no difference. you just download it and dont extract the user plugins to your folder. i have no idea why this is going to be more work for you than it is now.

KillerJohn's Avatar TurboHUD HUDmaster CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - only plugins would be kept on github
    - plugin devs would send in their updates via pull requests
    - it is an issue if a dev is not familiar with git (imo it is complex as hell)
    - HUD releases would be still on zippyshare, including the latest plugins from the repo
    Do not send me private messages unless it is absolutely necessary or the content is sensitive or when I ask you to do that...

9. Thanks cherouvim13 (1 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also the centralized repo has another downside: plugins would be updates in 'waves' (with every HUD release)

11. Thanks cherouvim13, ADV2015 (2 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    Thanks G/R
    23/130
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also the centralized repo has another downside: plugins would be updates in 'waves' (with every HUD release)
    how about thud performing a git pull each time it runs? this way everybody would have all plugins updated at any time.

Firegone's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    5/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Crstina View Post
    I think this would be a great! I just downloaded the new version of TH and none of my plugins will work.. causes TH stop working all together..
    Would be great if it wouldn't disable itself because its "outdated" which it isn't because no patch happened and it was working a few hours ago... Now plugins stopped working...

JackCeparou's Avatar Savvy ? 🐒
    Thanks G/R
    51/490
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - only plugins would be kept on github
    - plugin devs would send in their updates via pull requests
    - it is an issue if a dev is not familiar with git (imo it is complex as hell)
    Sorry to have to say that, but if I need to make PRs to update MY code, I'll just stop doing it.
    (and I have so much stuff on my repo than include it as a sub-repo is not really possible without a massive refactoring)
    Hide the Rum! --> Default theme customization 101 <--

Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by JackCeparou View Post
    Sorry to have to say that, but if I need to make PRs to update MY code, I'll just stop doing it.
    (and I have so much stuff on my repo than include it as a sub-repo is not really possible without a massive refactoring)
    you could update your code in your repo (which could be a for of the central repo) and make a PR when you are done. Just like all opensource projects.

However as I said the idea has too much downsides anyways...