Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To make a Ascent Server

Do not take full credit.

STEP ONE:
    Getting the Ascent Core and Compiling.

PROGRAMS NEEDED:
    Tortoise SVN
    Visual C++ Studio (scroll down to Visual C++ 2005 and choose your language)
    .NET Framework (Just click download)

First, download and install all the programs listed above. You should have to restart a few times as well. When all that's finished, go to the place you want your ascent core to be located in (I just used the Desktop) and make a new folder called Ascent. Right click on the the folder and select "SVN Checkout" from the menu. A box will pop up, and you need to edit the first blank to read "http://projects.emupedia.com/svn/ascent/branches". Click okay. The username for the SVN is anonymous, and leave the password blank. This could take a little while. When it's finished, press okay. Go into your Ascent folder, and you should notice one or more folders. For now, use 1_7 stable, as the 2.0 doesn't work very well.

Now we have to configure Visual C++. First, you need to register your Visual C++ to get and install the SDK pack. (I recommend registering, but if you don't want to you can just download the SDK here) Click Help > Register Product and follow all the instructions to get your SDK pack. Now install it (I'm not going to give you detailed instructions for this). Then Use the search function on your computer to find "corewin_express.vsprops". When it's been found, open it in Notepad and find the line that says "AdditionalDependencies="..."" and change it to
    CODE
    AdditionalDependencies="kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib"

Now open up Visual C++ Studio and go to Tools > Options. In the dialog that pops up click the plus sign next to Projects and Solutions and then click VC++ Directories. The drop down menu should say Executable Files. Click the button that looks like a folder and type*
    CODE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin

Then click the drop down menu and select Include Files. Click the folder button again and type in
    CODE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include

Then click the drop down menu again and select Library Files. Click the folder button and type in
    CODE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib

Click okay and VC++ should be fully configured for ascent.

*This part is only for Windows Vista users. Instead of the three directories I listed above, if you have Vista they should be

CODE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\include

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\bin

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\lib

In the same order they appeared above. But again, only if you're running Windows Vista.

Now we need to compile Ascent. Open VC++ and go to File > Open > Project/Solution and navigate to the folder in your Ascent folder we talked about earlier. Go into the win folder and there should be a file called VC80. Open it. Then go to Build > Configuration Manager and make the drop down menu at the top read release. Click okay. Go to Build > Clean Solution (just to be safe), and then Build > Build Solution. This will take a while. At the end, it SHOULD say 6 completed, 0 errors, 1 skipped. If it has any errors, you did something wrong , but warnings are okay. The one skipped is okay, you don't need it.

Now we will compile the scripts. Open up the scripts2005 file in the src > scripts folder. Make it release, clean, and build it like in the VC80 file. When it finishes, you should have 4 completed 0 errors 0 skipped. Again, warnings are fine.

You have now fully compiled the ascent core! Yay!

STEP TWO:
    The .conf files and your SQL database

PROGRAMS NEEDED:
    WAMP Server
    SQLyog. Make sure it's the enterprise edition.
    A Database for your server. This guide will be written for NCDB 0.2

After you've downloaded and installed those two programs, start up WAMP Server. Click on the icon in the system tray (by your clock) and select PHP My Admin. Scroll down and click on Privileges and then click on Add New User. Set the username to localhost and use a password. Scroll down to Global Privileges and click Select All. Click OK.

If you have an error at this point, it may be because you have MySQL and WAMP installed at the same time. This won't work. You can use MySQL for the server, but I prefer wamp. Your choice.

Now open SQLyog. You need to tell it to connect to the server you've already set up with WAMP server. Click New to open up the connection dialog box. In the MySQL Host Address, put localhost. The Username and password are both the ones you just put into WAMP server, the port should already be 3306, and leave database blank. Click save and then connect. Click okay. Right click on the white space on the left of your screen and select create database. Name it ascent. Make another one named characters. Now go into the folder where you downloaded NCDB and navigate do the Database folder and find tool.bat. Right click on it and select edit. Near the top, there should be a place that looks like this:
    CODE
    set user=(put in your username from Wamp Server)
    set pass=(put in your password from Wamp Server
    REM WorldDB - is the World Database
    REM CharDB - is the Character Database
    REM If you do not have them separated then set them to the same values
    set WorldDB=ascent
    set CharDB=character

Edit yours to look like the one above with the same user you just put into WAMP server. Also check to make sure the character database is set to character and the world database is set to ascent. Save and close. Then, run tools.bat. Run both the world (type w) and the character (type c), and then close the file (type x). Your world and character databases are now loaded. Open up SQLyog and click the plus next to character (if you didn't close it and you don't see anything, click refresh) and find the acount table. Click it. Over to the right under the blank white box, click 3 Table Data. Create a new account by double clicking on Null twice to make a new row, then input the values id 1, GM az and flags 8. The username and pass are up to you. Now, to get NCDB to work with revisions 1730 and higher (I guarantee you that's what you've got) you need to enter the following into the big white window in the upper right portion of your screen:
    CODE
    alter table creature_spawns add column channel_spell int(30) not null default 0;
    alter table creature_spawns add column channel_target_sqlid int(30) not null default 0;
    alter table creature_spawns add column channel_target_sqlid_creature int(30) not null default 0;

and then click the little green arrow button (Execute Current Query) at the upper left of the screen. You should then see something like

CODE
    (85731 row(s)affected)
    (0 ms taken)

(85731 row(s)affected)
    (0 ms taken)

(85731 row(s)affected)
    (0 ms taken)

In the 1) Messages window.

Congratz, you have now made a custom server!

JUST KIDDING!

Now we need to...

STEP 3:
    The .conf, map and DBC files.

PROGRAMS NEEDED:
    Ascent's map extractor (scroll down to where it says Extracting Maps and click the AD link)
    MyWarcraftStudio

Download both of the programs above and extract them. Find the Map extractor and move the ad.exe and the maps folder into your World of Warcraft directory. Run AD.exe. This will take a VERY LONG TIME. When it's done, move the maps folder into the same folder as ascent.exe (-your ascent directory-\bin\release). Then, run MyWarcraftStudio and navigate to the enUS (or enGB depending on your location) inside the Data folder in your WoW directory. Open up locale-enUS.mpq (or enGB, depending on your location). Right click on the DBFiles Client folder and select Extract Folder. Navagate to the same folder that you just put the maps folder into and name it something. Click okay. Now find the patch-enUS (you know what else it could be...) and again, right click on DBFiles Client and extract it to the same folder as before. Then find the DBFiles Client folder in your -your ascent directory-\bin\release and rename it to DBC. In that same folder (not the DBC folder, but the folder it's in) there should be three .conf files. Open up ascent.conf in Notepad. At the top, there should be something that looks like this:
    CODE
    WorldDatabase Hostname = "localhost" Username = "" Password = "" Name = "" Port = "3306" Type = "1">
    <CharacterDatabase Hostname = "localhost" Username = "" Password = "" Name = "" Port = "3306" Type = "1">

And change the password to the password you put into Wamp Server, same with the username. For the name values, change the first one to ascent and the second to character. Scroll through and edit the settings to the ones you want, deleting the die directives along the way. I'm not sure exactly what these do as when I first set up my server I made sure to delete them and I've never bothered to find out, but I do know they are bad and won't let your server work. There are two of them, one near the middle and one at the end, and they will say Die Directive. Delete the whole line. Somewhere in there there should be something with the minimum and maximum builds. Change the maximum build to 8000. At the bottom change the code that reads:

CODE
    RemotePassword = "change_me_world">

To the password you want. Remember this as you'll need it for the logonserver.conf latter.

Now for the logonserver.conf. At the top, it should read:

CODE
    <LogonDatabase Hostname = "localhost"
    Username = ""
    Password = ""
    Name = "database"
    Port = "3306"
    Type = "1">

Change the username and password to the ones you used in Wamp Server, and the database name to character.

Again, scroll through editing the values and at the bottom there should be:

CODE
    "<Logonserver RemotePassword = "change_me_logon">"

and edit it to the same password you used for ascent.conf.

Now for the realms.conf. Nothing much here needs editing, but you can name your realm.

When you're finished, find your realmlist.wtf in your WoW directory and open it up. Change it to say "set realmlist localhost" and save and close, then run logonserver.exe in your -your ascent directory-\bin\release folder. It should freeze at Hooking signals..., this is fine. Then run ascent.exe. If it closes before you can see anything, you did something wrong*. It should run for a little while, and when it's finished run WoW and your server should be up.

*To see the error from ascent.exe, open the start menu and click run. Enter cmd into the box and click okay. Then, open up the folder with ascent.exe in it. Look at the address at the top of the window. In the dos prompt that appears, type in "cd -the address in the other window-" (without the quotes of course) and hit enter. Then, type in ascent.exe and hit enter. This will run ascent.exe without it closing when it crashes so you can search for the error and post it here.

At this point, I would go to the GM Commands List in the Ascent Wiki and familiarize yourself with the various commands. After that, try your hand at custom items, NPCs, and quests using the tools found on this forum.

If you can't figure something out, first . If that doesn't work, then make a new topic for your problem.

QUOTE (Partha @ Oct 19 2007, 01:46 PM)
    The only replies to this thread should be comments on the tutorial, or suggestions about how to make it better.

This is not a thread to post all your general help and support questions in.

DO NOT POST YOUR TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTIONS HERE OR PM ME WITH THEM.

Feel free to give me some constructive criticism and ideas on how to make my tutorial better. I.E., "(blank) part of your tutorial is pretty vague, try rephrasing it," or "(blank) has changed, you might wanna update it." Comments like
    QUOTE (Valaria Arkonia)
    This tut freakign fails..

are not needed.

If you're having problems anywhere with entering data that I posted here, you probably left in the quotation marks. DON'T DO THAT. Those are there to show that "what's in here is what you put in, not" what's out here. Now delete the quotes and hit yourself.

Hope this helped someone

How To make a Ascent Server
    RyeRye1's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How To make a Ascent Server

Bring
    up
    my
    *TraPStaR*'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How To make a Ascent Server

"DO NOT POST YOUR TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTIONS HERE OR PM ME WITH THEM."
    why not you wrote this whole guide ? but you cant help people that follow this guide and run into trouble ?? maby you should menchin if you got this from somewere els so people can get help cause you dont want people to ask you

and i dont think your suppose to bump your post
    Last edited by *TraPStaR*; 11-14-2007 at 07:47 AM.