0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64bit support?

As the topic says any plan for the 64bit version?
    (Or could I actually use the 32bit version with the 64bit? I assume not, so I didn't even try it yet)...
    Would be great, I use only 64bit stuff for ages, so I was really happy when they released 64bit d3.
    Thanks in advance!

64bit support?
    SeaDragon's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    140/299
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May never support 64bit
    32 and 64 bit Memory address is completely different

davelikestacos's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any plans for 64-bit support though? I love TurboHUD. Brings many advances to the game that are very hard to play without once you adjust to them. However, the performance and visual improvements in the 64-bit exe are very noticable. I get constant FPS drops when playing on the 32-bit client when the screen gets incredibly busy, but those drops don't exist on 64-bit.

I have no idea just how hard it would be to convert TH to a 64-bit application as I have no programming knowledge what so ever, but I was just curious if there were any plans to make a 64-bit version since the game clearly runs A LOT better when using the 64-bit option.

SeaDragon's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    140/299
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is much difference between the 32bit and the 64bit, which is terrible compared to the cost of supporting the 64bit

run32.dll's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wish would be to drop the 32bit support completly and go 64bit only. The Diablo 3 32bit Client has always been bad in performance.

Ever since the PTR 2.4.3 64bit client rolled people drooled over its much better performance on reddit. They just did not have these annoying fps-drops anymore. The only downsite would be that a couple of old graphic-card users may not be able to use it. Because the D3 32bit client is DX9 and the D3 64bit client is DX11. And to all those people that use a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU machine - f*ck them - these are the kind of people that want to save 5 bucks on a cheaper OS. With the Earth population now being over 7.5 billion people, that is still not enough facepalms to show how stup*d this is. And no: having only <=4GB of RAM in a machine is not a reason to buy an only 32bit OS. Virtual Memory Management and Swapping to disc allows to run 64bit programs even on a low memory machine. That is still better than not being able to run them at all!

To support 64bit KillerJohn has to recheck/reverse-engineer ALL structures/objects/pointers/whatever and then fix the code to match for it. Thats ALOT of work obviously. My suggestion would be to get people from the forum to help.

performace-note: I did tests on PTR2.4.3 32/64bit clients and in town the actual fps is may even be somewhat lower due to better graphics being used in 64bit. BUT is critical situations when doing the big pulls in high greater rifts the 64bit client performed MUCH better.

davelikestacos's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by run32.dll View Post
    My wish would be to drop the 32bit support completly and go 64bit only. The Diablo 3 32bit Client has always been bad in performance.

Ever since the PTR 2.4.3 64bit client rolled people drooled over its much better performance on reddit. They just did not have these annoying fps-drops anymore. The only downsite would be that a couple of old graphic-card users may not be able to use it. Because the D3 32bit client is DX9 and the D3 64bit client is DX11. And to all those people that use a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU machine - f*ck them - these are the kind of people that want to save 5 bucks on a cheaper OS. With the Earth population now being over 7.5 billion people, that is still not enough facepalms to show how stup*d this is. And no: having only <=4GB of RAM in a machine is not a reason to buy an only 32bit OS. Virtual Memory Management and Swapping to disc allows to run 64bit programs even on a low memory machine. That is still better than not being able to run them at all!

To support 64bit KillerJohn has to recheck/reverse-engineer ALL structures/objects/pointers/whatever and then fix the code to match for it. Thats ALOT of work obviously. My suggestion would be to get people from the forum to help.

performace-note: I did tests on PTR2.4.3 32/64bit clients and in town the actual fps is may even be somewhat lower due to better graphics being used in 64bit. BUT is critical situations when doing the big pulls in high greater rifts the 64bit client performed MUCH better.
    Yeah I cranked up the settings on the 64-bit client and while the FPS was noticablely a few frames lower in the city, they didn't drop when the rifts became incredibly busy.

I figured the procedure of making TH 64-bit would be an arduous one. In any case, if anyone from the community does decide to get together and convert TH to 64-bit, I'd gladly donate to the cause. A 64-bit TurboHUD would be the best thing that could happen to Diablo 3. Even better than Necromancers coming in Season 11!