0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scam Prevention.

Ok everyone, with all the halloween items, and all the money that must being traded because of brooms for sale, I think it is important to have a quality guide on how to prevent scams.
    Just a few days ago, I myself got scammed out of 10 gold. It was a good tactic, that I may put in a different thread some other time. Noone wants to lose money, but scamming is a growing community based off of mostly those who do not and will not make their own money, and will do a lot to get some. Just thought before I started the guide, I may as well tell you who we are dealing with here.

The Guide

First of all, it is very important to realize that not everyone selling or buying items out in the World of Warcraft is a scammer. you have to be very careful about who you trust and who you don't.
    For determining who is a scammer and who isn't a scammer, I have devised a very simple way to figure this out, and it has worked nine out of ten times for me. Most of the time, if the object you are trying to sell is rare or hard to obtain, the likelyness of being scammed is very low, despite what most of you may think.
    Here is why. If you are trying to sell an item that took you weeks of grinding and finally you obtained this item under some mean of hard work, you are usually going to charge more for this item, so it would be easy to tell if you did not recieve the big sum of money, or not even most of it.
    Most of the time I have found, if you are selling but a green that is not very hard to obtain, but is usually wanted by a large group of people, you are going to charge a medium price for this object, true, yes? For this type of item, someong might try to pull some sort of a backspace scam on you, and you may not notice if your eyes are not that great. An easy way to make sure this doesn't happen is as soon as you see them place the money in the slot, immediatly press trade, that way you will notice if they take the money out.

Other scams:

Always be sure that you are extra careful from who you buy from. If it is a higher level, it is most likely not a scammer, for fear of losing there account, and there gold. Here are a lot of the good tactics I use to prevent myself from being scammed.

~Try not to be known as a scammer on your server, for this may be cause for revenge.

~if you are purchasing a seasonal item, manage your whispers well, so that you are always taking the best price.

~Do NOT purchase or sell to or from a person that has a name as a scammer on your server, ask your guild if you are unsure.

~Always check their money slot before hitting trade, to make sure you actually get the money.

~From any begging scams, ask other people in your group / guild if they have already given to the person asking for money.

~Never give people money for repairs / to fly anywhere / or to learn from the class trainer.

~Just to be safe, don't buy any computer software or real life objects in-game as they may not be legit.

If you have not found this guide usefull, please do not post how useless it is. Just positive comments please, and flamers will be flamed. Other than that, have a safe, scam free halloween. (Unless you are the scammer, then good luck.)
    Last edited by Hallowsend; 01-11-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Scam Prevention.
    jolle_103's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Scam Prevention.

Great guide for guys with IQ below 20!

JMan806's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by jolle_103 View Post
    Great guide for guys with IQ below 20!
    You'ld be surprised at how many people fall for scams, although...

scamming is a growing community based off of mostly those who do not and will not make their own money
    ...not entirely, some of us do it for entertainment purposes and some scams require more work then doing dailies ^_^ lol. I like your guide though, and I hope some learn from it though I hope those in MMOwned would be a bit smarter then some wow players.

:wave:

panyagua's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya nice guide but i never buy anything from other characters directly unless i know them, i just use AH