0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaming Headphone Questions

So, a bit of background. I am a big WoW player but also play a lot of DayZ and steam games with my guild buddies. Just recently i have been in the market for a new headset, i wanted to go wireless due to my hatred of wires but decided to go down the wired route to ensure quality eventually. At the moment i have been using a pair of Turtlebeach x12's for around a year and have had no problems with them, however i would like to upgrade to something with surround sounds etc for my setup.

Whilst for a long time I had settled on upgrading to the Turtlebeach z300's for the PC I have discovered there is a large amount of people who say buying a set of headphones + detached mic rather than a gaming headset will net you far higher sound quality for your money. Is this statement true? Which brands are known for the best headphones?

I also looked into upgrading my sound card from my integrated motherboard sound, but was made aware that with a headset/headphones this will have very very little influence on the quality of sound, only really being an advantage in that it will give me more options for sound manipulation.

Whilst i did a lot of research into the best headsets i have done limited research into headphones, what should i be looking out for? Is it still driver size, surround sound etc?

My price range is between £80-170

Any suggestions/ info is much appreciated, thanks.

Gaming Headphone Questions
    Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    267/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is true that buying headphones and a microphone cheaper will net you better sound quality for a much cheaper price. Gaming headsets tend to be very, very overpriced and are not known for their sound quality. I recommend you check out Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles if you want to see some good reviews for lots of different headphones.

Here are some I can name off the top of my head that won't require additional amplification.

Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 32 ohms
    Audiotechnia m50s
    Senheiser HD 598

There are obviously a lot more options, I really suggest you go over to Introductions, Help and Recommendations and ask for some help where people more knowledgeable than me can help you out.

Eryx's Avatar Former Staff ✲ B26354 ✲ CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    574/277
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% agree with what Confucius said. Also recommending you to take a look at Sennheiser Momentum and AKG K272 and K142.

DonnyBoostingBV's Avatar Private CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the same situation as you about 6 months ago. I found out about the website that confucius linked, and that really helped me a lot! I got the audiotechnica m50s and it's the best sound that i've ever heard. The first time that I heard it my brains actually got confused and I got a headache for a few days. In that time my brother lend it and got a headache to lol.. I decided to not wear them for a week, but after that weak i was used to the sound. It's just a different world i'm not kidding. I can hear things that I've never heard before. I tested the Sennheiser HD598 in the store as wel. Was not really impressed, but that is mainly because you don't have any good test material in a shop. I don't think that you can go wrong with either headphones. I suggest that you take a look into that website and test the headphones ( if possible ) in a shop with your own music/sound.

Freefall552's Avatar Former Staff
    Thanks G/R
    16/25
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to get quality headphones for around 50-60€? Mainly for music.
    Molested myself and got convicted.

DarkStopDying's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend steel series. Had the first set that made for 10 years. Still work great. Just bought an updated set with an awesome Mic for 65$ on Amazon. Steel series Siberia I believe it's called.

Freefall552's Avatar Former Staff
    Thanks G/R
    16/25
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by DarkStopDying View Post
    I recommend steel series. Had the first set that made for 10 years. Still work great. Just bought an updated set with an awesome Mic for 65$ on Amazon. Steel series Siberia I believe it's called.
    From now on I'm avoiding all the "gaming brands" since they are usually trash for music.
    Molested myself and got convicted.

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    267/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Freefall552 View Post
    From now on I'm avoiding all the "gaming brands" since they are usually trash for music.
    I'd check out Amazon.com : AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones : Musical Instruments for that price range. There are more options though, the best way to look around for headphones in that price range is to google $80 headphones head fi and read the threads then compare reviews until you find the set that fits your music taste best. Sorry for the late reply.

Zathan's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fan of the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. Doesn't include a mic but you can get modmic : AntLion Audio ? Welcome
    Much better than the clip-on Zalman (I really hate it).