0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Whisper Scam

This is a technique to help you scam - quite possibly posted elsewhere but i though worthwile highligting here.

This will be a work in progress so I am looking for some suggestions from you expert scammers so we can use this method to come up with a new all singing and dancing scam.

If you /w someone then put spaces into your message until the last letter of your message disappears from view you can then type

[Fred] whispers: Hiya can you send the BOEs we got from Naxx raid today to the new bank character YourAlt. I will send you 300gold to spend on some new kit etc from guild funds cheers

The recipient gets a chat that looks like he just recveived a whisper from your char and another seperate whisper from Fred immediately after your chars whisper

my thoughts are this can be used for allsorts of scams

possibly impersonating a guildleader and trying to trick a member into sending items or gold to your char.

obviously downside is the recipient cant simply click [Fred] and reply to the whisper so it is detectable - but some people will certainly fall for it or dismiss it as a glitch.

You can only have one way conversation - so whatever scams we can think up need to be quick - eg u know the guildleader is offline - you use this method to send a fake message from the guild leader to your target and when he checks he finds the guild leader you are imopersonating is offline but sends you items and gold to the character the fake guild leader requested.

The Whisper Scam
    Carmbas's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Whisper Scam

Will go to dust if they got timestamps, anyway gonna test it out

godlez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's also not the going to work on anyone who has their chat window resized and i think a lot of people do that

Thunderballs's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok cool

scams are all about numbers - or at least the best ones.

anyone can talk themselves out of doing a scam becasue they think noone will fall for it

what you should be thinking is - a lot of people do not resize their chat windows - therfore it can be used on a lot of people

the best scams rely on probability not an indepth analysis of the target and low numbers of attempts

the least successful scammers i know - try a tried and tested scam a couple of times - usually after tweaking it a bit - and then give up.

do not underestimate peoples gullability

Negue2's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, the ´´look like an other person´´ exploit is so funny lol! idid this to my friend and now he thinking that hes a ccount is getting a suspend by a GM idid like this

[Me] whispers:
    <GM> [John] whispers:

lol its very funny thoug this could be a nice thing 2 ++rep
    [NO QUESTIONS HERE]!!
    [NO QUESTIONS HERE]!!
    [NO QUESTIONS HERE]!!

Sovufe's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Thunderballs
    This is a technique to help you scam - quite possibly posted elsewhere but i though worthwile highligting here.

This will be a work in progress so I am looking for some suggestions from you expert scammers so we can use this method to come up with a new all singing and dancing scam.

If you /w someone then put spaces into your message until the last letter of your message disappears from view you can then type

[Fred] whispers: Hiya can you send the BOEs we got from Naxx raid today to the new bank character YourAlt. I will send you 300gold to spend on some new kit etc from guild funds cheers

The recipient gets a chat that looks like he just recveived a whisper from your char and another seperate whisper from Fred immediately after your chars whisper

my thoughts are this can be used for allsorts of scams

possibly impersonating a guildleader and trying to trick a member into sending items or gold to your char.

obviously downside is the recipient cant simply click [Fred] and reply to the whisper so it is detectable - but some people will certainly fall for it or dismiss it as a glitch.

You can only have one way conversation - so whatever scams we can think up need to be quick - eg u know the guildleader is offline - you use this method to send a fake message from the guild leader to your target and when he checks he finds the guild leader you are imopersonating is offline but sends you items and gold to the character the fake guild leader requested.
    There's also one huge flaw, when you ask someone to send something to another character they usually reply with the stand "r" button, and since the person didn't actually whisper him, it would not show up for "targets" he can reply to.

Trustdale's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neuge2... if u want ur account, u better not do.. i got banned 4 doing that >.<

Datonking's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol its the whisper song....This dosent work anymore dudez this is so old thers like 50 ways to tell and since it appears at the same time they always click on the name of the 2nd recipient and they will use R and they have timestamps and it has to be someone they know that they may be talking to or maybe that person has to be on...THE GM VERSION WORKS OCCSINALY
    Daton:Yooooo
    <GM> Megass:This account has been in violation of are no scamming policy please return 300g you have stolen from Character name <Daton> Or we will have to take measures that may lead to Suspension or permanent closure of this account. Thank you and have many adventures in the world of warcraft. Please do not reply to this if you wish to talk to a GM fill out a ticket
    Vote for MMOwned!

Tenshi's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Impersonation is a quick way to get punished.

GM Impersonation while doing a money scam is the quickest way to get banned.

Thunderballs's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed - dont impersonate a gm

i know what everyone is saying about timestamps and /r - but i have never used /r etc so a lot of people wont use it the difficulty is that those that dont will click the name in the chat pane and when it dosnt work think about why it hasnt worked.

If you say you are logging now etc in your /w then the target player may not automatically try to reply and might get on a send you that stuff etc etc . Again yes the text appears immediately - but if you just /w a player you want to scam - why would they definitely be looking at the chat window when it comes up ? most wont be looking at their chat window if you are messaging them out of the blue.

Adosi's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol hehe wierd Scam

lol hehe wierd Scam 1

lol hehe wierd Scam 2
    Last edited by Adosi; 12-30-2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Auto-merged Doublepost

arewin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, its an idea, but im afraid it realy wont work, becuase the victim will undoubtably press r to reply and then immediently wonder why it is going to you and not your alt. If they just blindly sent it w/o even replying then maybe, and there is allways the liklihood that they wont notice (an eyes down typist)

Seeing as it takes like 5 seconds to do i dont see why it shouldnt be attempted :P

EDIT - Why not make an alt? say the GM of <Naxx raiding guild>> i called Pwnerer, make an alt called Pwnèrer (only with a less obvius symbol) then you can have a proper conversation, just pray to god you dont get shift-clicked!

tip, instead of accented letters, try finding a guild /w GMs name with an L in in, becuase as we all know a lowercase L = uppercase I in WoW
    Last edited by arewin; 12-30-2006 at 04:44 PM.