0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trouble with my pc

ok so i got someone to put together a pc for me after buying the parts was trying to save money so i got

amd phenom II processor
    16gb gskill ram
    radeon hd 6990
    some asus mobo
    and a tb HD

now my pc doesnt run to this potential i lag in d3 sometimes i cant open d3 and dota 2 without lagging its stupid and shouldnt be like this any ideas? and if i update my gfx card i get nonstop bluescreens

will paypal $50 to anyone who figures right

trouble with my pc
    iFarmer's Avatar Contributor CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    10 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be due to many things.

First of all, you say that you have trouble updating your graphics card drivers. So maybe your graphics card isn't being used for its full potential.

Secondly, you have a major bottleneck on your computer. When your other specs are so great, you have no excuse for not getting an SSD. An SSD will allow for smooth and nearly-instant loading times. If you are feeling lag while opening a game, then an SSD will resolve that.

Thirdly, what is your power supply? It could be insufficient.

Smoogels's Avatar Contributor CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a lot of software running in the background? Software in the background eats up CPU usage and RAM so its important not to put to much on.
    Also, as iFarmer said uninstall your current video drivers and reinstall with the latest (catalyst control center ).

Bluescreens with a graphics card can be indeed not enough power getting to all of the parts or a driver issue. The 6990, which is a beast of a card, requires 750W Watt or greater power supply. Also, a SSD will have no increase in FPS in games at all. They only improve loading times.

My last suggestion is to check the heat. Download HWmointor and check the temperatures of the CPU. Ideally you would want it to be under 60C under load. Also check your GPU temperature using Catalyst Control Center, which you can (and should) get with your graphic cards driver)
    Last edited by Smoogels; 06-06-2012 at 11:11 AM.

dfk's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok what is an ssd? and its not just when opening when picking heros and playing...the latest drivers give me non stop bluescreen errors and its not from over heating my pc is real cool and i have a 1000w coolmaster powersupply

Killsomecero's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by dfk View Post
    ok what is an ssd? and its not just when opening when picking heros and playing...the latest drivers give me non stop bluescreen errors and its not from over heating my pc is real cool and i have a 1000w coolmaster powersupply
    An SSD is a Solid State Drive, pretty much a regular drive but quicker..

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you completely removed the old drivers and installed the new ones? You should remove them using Windows uninstall first. Also, is your 6990 overclocked? Or are any other parts overclocked? If so you could use catalyst control center to remove the overclock and see if you get stable performance again.

If noting else you can think of works its worth a try to reinstall Windows incase that is the cause of it.

If that do not fix it it could be a fault with the card or motherboard slot... Try putting the graphics card into another PCI slot on the motherboard.

Edit: Also, before you go to far, remove the graphics card and boot using integrated graphics. If the blue screens are gone, its most likely a GPU issue. If you get bluescreens, it would be worth looking at your CPU.
    Last edited by Smoogels; 06-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Freefall552's Avatar Former Staff
    Thanks G/R
    16/25
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be due to many things.

First of all, you say that you have trouble updating your graphics card drivers. So maybe your graphics card isn't being used for its full potential.

Secondly, you have a major bottleneck on your computer. When your other specs are so great, you have no excuse for not getting an SSD. An SSD will allow for smooth and nearly-instant loading times. If you are feeling lag while opening a game, then an SSD will resolve that.

Thirdly, what is your power supply? It could be insufficient.

How does a ssd keep his computer from bottlenecking? If the cpu is not strong enough to run both gpus at full speed it still won't cause the issue dfk described.

@dfk. Do you use a greenpower hdd? Many of the new 1tb disks are greenpower 5400rpm disks that's used for saving power. They're not the ideal hdd for gaming and having your OS on. They also go into a sleep mode a while after being inactive and results in a 3-4 seconds freeze when the disk starts up again.
    Also, could you specify what motherboard you have?

@Smoogles. You will not get temperatures under 60c with the 6990 on a reference cooler. He will most likely have temps around 85-90c.
    Last edited by Freefall552; 06-07-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Freefall552 View Post

How does a ssd keep his computer from bottlenecking? If the cpu is not strong enough to run both gpus at full speed it still won't cause the issue dfk described.

@dfk. Do you use a greenpower hdd? Many of the new 1tb disks are greenpower 5400rpm disks that's used for saving power. They're not the ideal hdd for gaming and having your OS on. They also go into a sleep mode a while after being inactive and results in a 3-4 seconds freeze when the disk starts up again.
    Also, could you specify what motherboard you have?

@Smoogles. You will not get temperatures under 60c with the 6990 on a reference cooler. He will most likely have temps around 85-90c.
    I meant the CPU to run under 60C

Freefall552's Avatar Former Staff
    Thanks G/R
    16/25
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Smoogels View Post
    I meant the CPU to run under 60C
    Oh, sorry I misread. By the way, you can run a system with a 6990 on a quality 500w power supply.

dfk's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    m4n98td evo is the motherboard i have ive been thinking of changing my mother board and processor its a amd phenom 2 i want to get a i5 instead and i guess a ssd just for faster load times what you guys think

sssniper86's Avatar Active Member
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might or might not be the reason for this problem (didn't find much information about specified motherboard, but one russian forum where problem was discussed) but the deal might be with motherboard being made with Nvidia cards in mind. Again this might be not it, but I have one such motherboard that causes overheating of ATI card while everything is ok otherwise. Come to think of it accomplice of mine also had heating issues due to this incompatibility.

Killsomecero's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    m4n98td evo is the motherboard i have ive been thinking of changing my mother board and processor its a amd phenom 2 i want to get a i5 instead and i guess a ssd just for faster load times what you guys think
    the SSD won't change your performance in-game, just loading times. The error you're getting might be also because your CPU might not be able to handle it, what kind of AMD Phenom is it? (You can see the type of processor by just going to start and searching "system", it should be under Control Panel) I'd also recommend reinstalling modded drivers or earlier drivers to see if that fixes it. Does this happen only in league or other games?

dfk's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it happens in a few games i get non stop bsod randomly playing dota 2 but its guarentee'd to happen after every game atleast and its AMD phenom II x6 1090T 3.20 ghz