0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diablo 3: Pretty Much the Worst of What Everyone Was Expecting

So, I recently got into the Diablo 3 EU beta and wow. Seriously, wow. This game is BAD. I'm shocked it managed to get past even the new Blizzard's QA team.

I'm getting 200ms ping and having that registered as "good" (ie. in the green in terms of latency) by the game, with random 500ms lagspikes. It's entirely possible that the EU beta's servers are set up in the US, but I get at least 160ms from US servers in every other game, and god only knows. This leads to a shit tonne of artificial difficulty and near death experiences.

The CoD-esque levelling mechanics are laughable, as are the ways abilities work. Every level, you get a new ability or a new upgrade for one of your abilities, and you will ALWAYS have every ability at max level. You have no choice in what order you get them. The only thing that distinguises you from other players is gear.

Switching out abilities gives you a 10 second (or thereabouts, not sure on the exact figure) cooldown on that ability, which means switching out abilities or having more than six active abilities is unfeasible, which can lead to situations where you get attacked and don't have the right ability for the situation.

All this just feeds into having the easiest general loadout and spamming the attack until everything is dead, regardless of the situation. You approach everything in the same way, deal with it in the same way and the like. You won't vary from other player's experiences either, as they're ALSO doing it in the same way.

Don't get me started on how horribly the classes are in general. They're not archetypal, they're not very balanced (heavy armoured barbarian / monk more easily kills stuff than the flimsy wizard?) and they're just not very fun. Witch Doctor is a bad necromancer clone, Demon Hunter is like a crappy D2 assassin, Wizard is just a poor man's sorceress, Monk is actually alright in terms of overall design and Barbarian is just a straight rip from D2 and therefore the best class in the game.

The healing potion / healing orb issue just shows how schizophrenic the design team is. On the one hand, you have healing potions which allow you to decide when you need healing and use them when you need them. On the other hand, you have healing orbs which drop randomly off mobs and heal you when you walk over them. Of course, due to this, healing orbs are utterly useless, or at least could be better replaced by healing potion drops, and is a fine example of "lol wut are we meant to be doing again???".

Graphically, the game is horrible. It reminds me of Icewind Dale 2 in terms of looks. You could say it has a certain style to it, if you thought style could mean "looks like it's from early 21st century". Low polygon models, ugly arse textures and a general bad colour scheme just makes the game seem faded and already aged. Compare it with, say, Diablo or Diablo 2 in modern resolutions and they don't look nearly as aged as this game.

Controls-wise, the game's okay-ish. Everything's pretty much the same as Diablo 2 (shift to stay still whilst you attack, ctrl to view thingies, alt to view items etc), and everything is therefore okay.

I just fail to see how this is a Diablo game. To me, it feels like a poor Korean Diablo-wannabe that made a bunch of bad design decisions because they had a massive budget, a lot of time and no idea how to improve on the original.

The graphical changes, gameplay changes, EVERYTHING changes have just ruined the overall experience and turned it into a game worthy of nothing more than the award of "Worst AAA Game of 2012".

Diablo 3: Pretty Much the Worst of What Everyone Was Expecting
    xcrossover25x's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    8/1
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aprl folszz

KOS0937's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I pretty much have to agree with him. I think d3 will suck. Everything they changed sinde d2 was for the worse.
    - no full screen map (there is, but there was the definite decision to not let you move while looking at it....)
    - no pvp, of any form. At least "not at release" (remember how long it took them to add it in wow?)
    - you now have to play the whole game 3 times before finally the fourth time does actually count. I for one have NEVER player nightmare in d2. Always found someone to pull me through and then continued famring the bosses. Don't expect anything else in d3 nightmare and hell! (first playthrough has a justification and the last one does as well, so why not patch them together directly? get rid of nightmare and hell)
    - classes feel unbalanced right now, but knowing blizzard that will change
    - everythings screems "you are too stupid to play anything more complex!". The new matchmaking system sucks (a similar mistake killed sc2 custom maps). Quest system as well. interface too. All just because they wanted to dumb it down as far as possible.

wetwlly's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April Fools!!

KOS0937's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody not trolling or stupid can tell me why d3 should be fun to play? (except being new)

sakimi's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Because it's a game
    2) You've played a very small part of the game from the very first Act, it's like eating a crumb from a cake and saying the whole cake is horrible; when clearly it's delicious because it's cake.

KOS0937's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, but it this one bite I had was rotten and covered with mold I might consider throwing away the cake without eating any more of it...

xynoman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we are not retailers, so we are not gonna convince you

phantom325's Avatar Turtle Nation
    Thanks G/R
    81/162
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xynoman View Post
    we are not retailers, so we are not gonna convince you
    This. If you don't want to play, just move on. There's millions of others who do.

sakimi's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said you had a crumb, not a bite!
    Either way, we all know you will end up buying it, playing through it, and then keep playing it for at least a few months. You're clearly in denial (and by denying this, you'll just be proving it!)

Remus3's Avatar Hobby 3D Character Artist Ex-Super Mod CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    3/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the opinion of the op is absurd in my book... do you even play games aside from one's that aren't all the same? really? reallllly?

I won't even waste my time explaining things to you because you have already jumped into the deep end and are so closed minded it's unbelievable.

I hope to no end your idiocy is just april fools.
    Last edited by Remus3; 04-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Think before you post. You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Castseven's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April fools or not, the OP clearly has no idea what QA does.

Phoen!x's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    6/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is WoW fun during lvl 1-12?
    No?
    Well.

Shadowsteppa's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Phoen!x View Post
    Is WoW fun during lvl 1-12?
    No?
    Well.
    quoted for emphasis
    SIG TOO BIG!

KOS0937's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by sakimi View Post
    I said you had a crumb, not a bite!
    Either way, we all know you will end up buying it, playing through it, and then keep playing it for at least a few months. You're clearly in denial (and by denying this, you'll just be proving it!)
    ok, you got me there ^^ I will buy it, finish it, complain how they ruined it all the time and start botting for a few weeks until reality catches up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast