542/299
    Trade Feedback
    217 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diablo 3 Beta Leaks, Explained

With all these screenshots leaking from early Beta testers, there is understandable confusion and excitement. To paraphrase our forums and comments: “Where are the leaks coming from? Who is playing now? And why the hell ain’t it me?”
    I can’t answer the last one, but the first two are known. Well, kinda. It’s funny, but we don’t know if this stuff is actually “leaking.” We know there will not be an NDA on the public beta test, but there might be one on just the F&F Beta, in which case the screens and stuff were leaked. Not that it really matters.
    Here’s the important thing. Earlier tonight I heard from a guy who is (allegedly) in a top WoW guild, who knows some Blizzard employees through it. The word from them is that the Friends and Family Beta test has just begun. It’s fairly limited in number, no more than 5 invites per Blizzard employee, and it’s meant to break in the B.net servers in preparation for the full beta test, when vastly more testers will be invited in. (I don’t have any numbers on the F&F Beta, but since there are thousands of Blizzard employees, 5 invites each could be quite a few people.)
    That rumor got some backup just this morning, thanks to some posts on the Russian language B.net forum. (In Soviet Russia, Blizzard CMs actually answer questions?) Big thanks to the site reader who wished to remain anonymous, but who sent in links and translations of the news.
    Question #1:

Blizzard Quote:
    Question: I would like to learn if this one with beta key is from media,press, friends and family or invites already started for all “normal” users.
    Blizzard’s Answer: Beta testing is NOT started. I would like to remind you that you should be careful to all the information you receive. With the beta on the edge there are always a lot of thieves around. At this point of time we are getting prepared to start the internal beta testing (employee, friends and family), and for this period keys will not be sent. As soon as we will be able to open the closed beta for all who registered for it at the battle.net we will officially announce it. Invites will go out ONLY after an official announcement.

Where did the Beta downloader screenshot come from?

Blizzard Quote:
    Question: Where that guy got that screenshots/client downloader?
    Blizzard’s Answer: He could get it from anywhere. For years now we are showing out different builds on multiple gaming events, where anyone can try the game out.

What’s happening next?

Blizzard Quote:
    Official reply states that they had 2 internal testing periods until now and currently refreshing their mailboxes every few minutes in anticipation of new info.

From this info it seems unlikely that we’ll get the full Beta rolling this week. It’s just for Blizzard peeps and friends for now, and they get the holiday weekend to enjoy, while the rest of us can only look on in envy. Hopefully next week, after Bliz gets some rest and relaxation, they’ll be ready to scale up to the full test? It should be soon™, at any rate.
    As for the people testing now, if any of you guys want to send in additional screenshots or info, fire them at that Submit News address up on top of this page. You can remain entirely anonymous if you wish.

Diablo 3 Beta Leaks, Explained