0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadow Priest 4.0.1

Alright well I figured to make a post on here about the Shadow Priest changes that have gone into the 4.0.1 patch.

Disclaimer
    This is a basic guide about the new features for Shadow Priests in 4.0.1. They will change when Cataclysm comes out, and I will attempt to create a new guide at that time. The layout of this guide is based around PVE content, and not PVP content. Also things will probably be changing, and there is a chance they will change before Cataclysm is released. So be aware some things may be up to date, and some might. I will work my best to keep everything up to date.

Spec
    Currently there is only one spec you really need for raiding. There are 2 "loose" points that can go anywhere you really want them to, however I would highly recommend them going into Phantasm instead of the 2 points into Mental Agility. Mana is not an issue currently, and Phatasm can be used for several different occasions. When Cataclysm is released those points will want to be shifted from Phatasm to Mental Agility, so Evangelism is available at 81.
    Here is the spec (glyphs included, but I will go into more detail for glyphs):
    WoW Talent Calculator - Sigrie

Glyphs
    Our primary glyphs are pretty simple. There are currently only 4 glyphs shadow priests would even use as primary.

Primary glyphs:
    Shadow Word: Death (When the boss is under 25% it allowed a second SW:D before the ability comes on cooldown. Still a great dps glyph, even after the nerf.).
    Shadow Word: Pain (10% increase to damage to SW:P. Pure glyphs are always loved).
    Mind Flay (Mind Flay has a 10% increase of damage as long as SW:P is on the target. Like SW:P glyph, pure dps upgrades are amazing).
    Glyph of Dispersion (This is our floater glyph, this should only be used when a shorter CD of Dispersion is needed [Algalon]. Depending on the fight, choose the other glyphs accordingly to replace).

Major Glyphs: (These are all glyphs that can be rotated depending on the fight.)
    Mass Dispel (1 second off Mass Dispel).
    Fade (9 seconds off the Fade, we use Fade a shit ton now with our increased threat).
    Spirit Tap (If you kill a mob with SW:D you get 12% of your mana over 12 seconds. Can be useful on a fight with adds).
    Fear Ward (1 min off Fear Ward, depending on the fight this can be useful).
    Psychic Scream (Mobs don't flee when feared, this can be useful for future fights).

Minor Glyph: (Top three glyphs are the primary glyphs I will use)
    Fortitude (50% mana cost taken off Fortitude. Shadow priests are the ones who should rebuff those who get battle rezzed, this is a great glyph).
    Levitate (No reagent cost, best glyph in the game).
    Shadowfiend (If Shadowfiend dies you get 5% of your mana).
    Shadow Protection (Adds 10 minutes to the buff).
    Fading (30% mana cost reduction. This can be useful if you find yourself fading frequently).

Gems
    Gems have been dumbed down pretty substantially. Unless the bonus is 7 spellpower or higher it is not worth getting the bonus, and will be a greater upgrade to use straight Intellect gems. Previously it was 5 spellpower bonus was worth picking up, but because of mastery you want to shoot for 7 spellpower.

Red: Cardinal Ruby - 20 Intellect
    Yellow: Reckless Ametrite - 10 Int/10 Haste. Use this gem when there is a bonus of 7 spellpower or more.
    Blue: Purified Dreadstone - 10 Int/10 Spirit. This gem can be great when you are short of hit, as 1 spirit is now 1 hit. Also using two of these for the meta is needed.

Reforging
    First priority is going to be hit cap, which is now 17%. There is no longer a hit buff, so reforging crit into spirit would be first priority in order to get right at hit cap. Then second priority is to be changing crit into haste. Haste is still our 2nd best stat to intellect, and switching crit to haste will be our strongest dps upgrade. Once you hit 1400 haste you will want to stop reforging into haste, and just keep crit as a stand alone stat. NEVER reforge to mastery. Currently mastery is a dead stat to us, and will not become useful at 80 unless you can reach 1400 crit and 1400 haste, which is not going to happen with the new need of 17% hit.

Rotation/Spells
    This is where the new fun part of this patch comes into play. We no longer have Shadow Weaving so building up to a 5 stack before applying SW:P is no longer an issue.

In short our new rotation is VT, DP, SW:P, MB, Shadowfiend*, MF, SW:D*. (* indicates more details at the bottom of this section).

Vampiric Touch is still our strongest dot, so keeping that up is our first priority still. Then keeping Devouring Plague up is our 2nd priority, followed with always keeping SW:P up. SW:P has a chance to fall off now with it not being 100% refresh uptime from Mind Flay, but I haven't had to much of an issue. Just keep an eye out for it. SW:D is now our 2nd strongest nuke, and should always be used after Mind Blast now. If we have 3 shadow orbs activated, you need to make sure you use Mind Blast as soon as possible. SW:D is going to be priority over Mind Blast unless those 3 orbs are active. Shadowfiend should be used on CD now. Mind Flay is back to being our filler spell. Use it as it when our other abilities are on CD or not currently needing to be refreshed.

Any instant cast we have which activates the GCD needs to be used while giving yourself a stutter step. SW:D, DP, and Shadowfiend are all instant casts, and when used you need to be moving your character around. Give yourself a quick strafe off to the left or right while casting, all to increase the chance of activating another Shadowy Aspiration. When moving you have a 60% chance of spawning one, compared to the 12% chance to spawn one when stationary.

All dots now can be refreshed early, and will not overright the dot. So it is wanted to recast your dots if you are about to move, and have SW:D on cd. Not being able to overright your dots means there should be as close to 100% uptime as possible. Clipping is no longer an issue, so refresh them around 1 second instead of right before they fall off to maximize dps (unless you can get the dot to go on the target exactly when the dot falls off, which I guarantee you can't).

*Shadow Word: Death was nerfed and should only be used while moving, until the boss reaches 25%. If moving make sure to always get that SW:D out there, but as soon as the boss reaches 25% it should be used instantly. The new change to the SW:D glyph makes it so after using SW:D twice it now has its cooldown again. However, it is our strongest dps when the boss is under 25% so make sure to use it on cooldown when the boss hits that point.

**Shadowfiend is now a dps cooldown, not a mana cooldown. Everytime you crit you get 10 seconds taken off the cooldown of your shadowfiend. I have found myself using Shadowfiend every 30-45 seconds, now I understand my gear is top 5% of shadow priests out there, but even with 20% crit you will have enough crit to use Shadowfiend as a dps ability.

I believe this is everything I can think of off the top of head. If there are any questions, comments, concerns please post it up here. I will gladly answer any questions about Shadow Priests.
    Last edited by dallascowboys0000; 10-24-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Shadow Priest 4.0.1
    Carnage2202's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Guide

oslofreak's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good guide, yeah... Enjoyed it to refresh my memory on shadowpriests + learn what the new rotation / talents / spells are up to... +rep

Edit: I've been giving out too much rep recently, you'll have to wait... I'll try not to forget... :P

fauxsho's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is shadowfiend cooldown refreshed with all spell crits or only mind flay?
    Last edited by fauxsho; 10-14-2010 at 04:23 PM.

dallascowboys0000's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only mind flay. If you have 4pc t10 you will see a ton of crits in a quick amount of time.

Also I will update this guide tonight when I can test the numbers on shadow word: death, since it was nerfed today.[IMGL][/IMGL]

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated, Shadow Word: Death just drops under Mind Blast on the rotation now, unless the boss is under 25%.

Almost 4k views, no rep? /sad panda

Pain21's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait, spriest don't just spam SW: Death? :P jk

I don't even have a priest, but this is a very good, well thought out guide, covers a ton of information, +rep from me.

Any chance at a lock/rogue/pally/dk guide?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Pain21 View Post

I don't even have a priest, but this is a very good, well thought out guide, covers a ton of information, +rep from me.

I can see if any of my guildies have a guide up for those classes, and I will post them for ya.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Pain21 View Post

Here is one for warlocks. I asked one of our warlocks if I could use his guide and post it; he had no issues.
    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-...ml#post1966890

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any questions/concerns about shadow priests this last patch?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated again, to reflect the new rotation and priority of spells. Along with the change to SW glyph.

Let me know if you have any questions.

AnebethPriest's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel goofy for asking but well here goes......where does the 1400 score for Crit and Haste come from? My spec says that my SPELL haste is 280 (+8.54%), CRIT 424 (+20.65), HIT 758(+28.9). I have not regemmed or reforged..BUT nothing close to 1400.

BTW I have been looking for some guidance since the new patch went in. This is the first thread that has really helped. Nicely outlined with each releVant area. THANKS

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the 1400 mark comes in with top of the line heroic gear. By the sounds of your levels of haste,crit, hit you are not quite there yet. 1400 haste gives you a 1 second GCD, and is really all you need for crit rating. With the nerf to shadow word: death, crit dipped a little lower in how strong it was, but it has never been higher then haste.