0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Role of Music in World of Warcraft

You never really get to appreciate the music in World of Warcraft. Most people I've spoken to play with the game music off, though that does not account for the entirety of players. I just find the music repetitive and distracting, as I spend most of my time in battlegrounds where the music isn't absolutely stellar.

Storm Peaks is absolutely breathtaking. You can't really enjoy the immense, overwhelming feel of the zone without listening to the titanic orchestra that accompanies it. I wasn't too impressed with the Icecrown music, but it certainly did have a very nefarious feel to it. Howling Fjord has a collection of some of the arguably best instrumental pieces in the game. Nothing stands out in regards to Borean Tundra, and I can't even conjure up a memory of that zone's music.

The looming orchestrals of Ulduar were absolutely brillaint. "Titan Orchestra", or the theme of the Iron Dwarves, got its own reprisal in the new Cataclysm theme, "The Shattering". This new version of the theme is packed with beautiful, harmonized choirs and blaring brass; come to think of it, I'd love to see some video recordings of the "Making Of" or World of Warcraft's soundtrack.

Mentioning World of Warcraft music, we can't forget the epic track "Invincible" that was released with Blizzard's Battlecry Mosaic. With some beautiful psuedo-Icelandic vocals and amazing female choirs, this invoked visions of wind-kissed peaks and bloodied Vrykul hunters nestled amongst the frozen mountains of Northrend.

Playing through the wastelands of Northrend with the music on was how the game designers intended. By turning off the music, you miss part of the experience of immersion in the game. I know for sure that I'll be playing WoW's music during my baby steps into the fog of Cataclysm.

I will conclude this short entry with a question for our readers. Please answer it in the comments section, or in the actual original forum post.

"What is your favorite song in the entire game, and why? Do you have any in-game experiences or memories connected with this specific piece of music?"
    Leecher -> Active -> News Team -> Contrib -> News Team Leader -> Moderator -> Former Mod
    Proud Ownedcore Member 2007-2012

The Role of Music in World of Warcraft
    Garry__'s Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howling Fjord definitely had the best music in the whole game. I love it in there.

Jeremiah's Avatar Former Mod
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howling Fjord had amazing music. I have it on my MP3 player as well.
    Leecher -> Active -> News Team -> Contrib -> News Team Leader -> Moderator -> Former Mod

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite music in the whole of WoW has to be the vanilla login screen music. I remember starting up the game for the first time ever and being met with that, such an epic moment. Brilliant music. The TBC and WOTLK login screen music didn't really feel anywhere near as good, although the Cataclysm one sounds good and has themes from the entire game creating an amazing semantic field that I love. <3 Although I have yet to listen to it properly and can't comment appropriately.

I think people should appreciate the WoW music and just listen to it while questing every now and then - it's amazing what Blizzard do for each zone and how well the music fits... There's not many games with such good music.

I Hypnotoad I's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW Music is good for certain occasions, but when you want to get the job done, pop out your favorite house/tech/trance songs.

Dragon[Sky] can get into our signatures, AND our pants.

LJN's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Storm Peaks

1:52 is the best.
    ahhhh

Bolleno's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldshire, it has some nice memories when i came there for the first time

Forgiving's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stormwind is suuuuuper beast for me at least. also like sholazar.. btw aphel I love how well you are contributing tot he news team, its really fun reading some of your articles.

Jeremiah's Avatar Former Mod
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Forgiving View Post
    Stormwind is suuuuuper beast for me at least. also like sholazar.. btw aphel I love how well you are contributing tot he news team, its really fun reading some of your articles.
    Thanks dude! It means a lot to hear that people enjoy my articles Stormwind's suite is also amazing.

Zantas's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by I Hypnotoad I View Post
    WoW Music is good for certain occasions, but when you want to get the job done, pop out your favorite house/tech/trance songs.
    Amen
    filleer
    https://i45.tinypic.com/157df7r.jpg

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    My favourite music in the whole of WoW has to be the vanilla login screen music. I remember starting up the game for the first time ever and being met with that, such an epic moment. Brilliant music. The TBC and WOTLK login screen music didn't really feel anywhere near as good, although the Cataclysm one sounds good and has themes from the entire game creating an amazing semantic field that I love. <3 Although I have yet to listen to it properly and can't comment appropriately.

I think people should appreciate the WoW music and just listen to it while questing every now and then - it's amazing what Blizzard do for each zone and how well the music fits... There's not many games with such good music.
    This. To me, the classic login music is iconic of the series, and expresses something the game seems to have lost: Warcraft.
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein