0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unable to connect to b.net?

i've already posted about this on d2jsp and the b.net tech support forum, but i never got a response since jsp moves faster than /b/ and tech support is a barren wasteland. so, hopefully someone here can help. (:

a couple weeks ago or so i decided to take a break from wow and maybe play something else instead. my boyfriend really wanted me to play d2 and had spare cd keys for d2/lod laying around, so i gave that a try. however, whenever i go to log on to b.net, i get this message:

unable to connect to b.net.

if using a modem, you may need to connect to your isp before connecting to b.net. for more information, please visit www.blizzard.com/support/errormessages/.

but i'm obviously connected to the internet!

it's not a firewall issue - i added d2 to my exceptions list, and even disabled my firewall. i've reset my router and restarted my computer plenty of times. i've also reinstalled the game twice. and no, the cd keys aren't already in use, nor am i restricted.

anyone have any ideas, or am i just stuck playing solo campaigns? :(

unable to connect to b.net?
    MindChild's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first thing i would do is try to connect to a friend via LAN. that would establish connection outside your computer. Then you should try to connect to a friend via the internet (2 diff internet connections) using their WAN IP. That would establish D2 is able to connect outside your LAN. If the first fails, D2 cannot "see" your network connection (maybe running windows vista/7 and it doesnt have permissions?). if the second fails, i would look to openning the ports diablo 2 uses to connect to the internet (or just route all traffic to your computer temporarily for trouble shooting)

gamerchic's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by MindChild View Post
    first thing i would do is try to connect to a friend via LAN. that would establish connection outside your computer. Then you should try to connect to a friend via the internet (2 diff internet connections) using their WAN IP. That would establish D2 is able to connect outside your LAN. If the first fails, D2 cannot "see" your network connection (maybe running windows vista/7 and it doesnt have permissions?). if the second fails, i would look to openning the ports diablo 2 uses to connect to the internet (or just route all traffic to your computer temporarily for trouble shooting)
    tried connecting to my boyfriend via lan/ip - didn't work. added ports too - didn't work either. ):

i thought about running it as admin, but apparently windoze xp doesn't have that option (at least as far as i can tell).

Valmere's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    16/31
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running shit as admin is only for Vista/7 users.

Has your realmlist by chance been messed with at all? Shitty bots (like AObot) and programs like redvex tamper with your D2's realmlist in order to proxy a connection so they can "safely" inject dlls and such.

Before anyone attempts to shoot me down, yes, I read that the OP has reinstalled twice. OP should still check her D2 registry keys and make sure they're pointing to the right place.
    wat

gamerchic's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Valmere View Post
    Has your realmlist by chance been messed with at all? Shitty bots (like AObot) and programs like redvex tamper with your D2's realmlist in order to proxy a connection so they can "safely" inject dlls and such.

Before anyone attempts to shoot me down, yes, I read that the OP has reinstalled twice. OP should still check her D2 registry keys and make sure they're pointing to the right place.
    i've no idea what either of those things are, so i doubt that's the issue.

mind elaborating on how to check my registry keys? i'm not exactly windoze savvy, and google isn't really coming up with anything relevant.