0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heroes of Newerth

This Review is going to take you through the "in's" and "out's" of the highly anticipated new RTS release:

General
    Game: Heroes of Newerth
    Genre: Action, Fantasy
    Developer: S2Games
    Cost: $30 USD with no monthly fees

Available on:
    PC

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) is a new take on the classic, the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map called DoTA (Defense of the Ancients). Heroes of Newerth takes on the role of DoTA superbly, taking the famous game with a long history into a new place. HoN is the most similar game too the original DoTA competing against other games such as League of Legends (LoL).

Story
    The story of Heroes of Newerth is an extension too the popular game Savage. Where you the player get taken into a brand new world were you are able to play as the Heroes of the Mystical land called Newerth. Heroes of Newerth uses many of the original heroes in the FPRPS Savage aswell as a vast variety of heroes who have joined the battle of Hellbourne VS Legion.

Code:
    Windows

Minimum:
    Processor - 2.2GHz Pentium 4 / AMD 2400+ or faster
    RAM - 1GB of RAM
    Video Card - GeForce 5 and ATI 9800 w/ 128 MB VRAM
    Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    Network Connection Required

Recommended:
    Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
    RAM - 1.5GB or higher
    Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
    Network Connection Required (Broadband)
    Linux

Minimum:
    Processor - 2.2GHz Pentium 4 / AMD 2400+ or faster
    RAM - 1GB of RAM
    Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon

Recommended:
    Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
    RAM - 1.5GB or higher
    OS X

Minimum:
    Processor - Intel Processor
    RAM - 1GB of RAM
    Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon
    OS X 10.4 or newer

Recommended:
    Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo or faster
    RAM - 1.5GB or higher

Supported video cards:
    OS X 10.4: Geforce 8600, Radeon HD 2400 or higher
    OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher
    Note: Integrated Intel GMA 950/X3100 is not supported

The graphics are very rich with the developers at S2Games always making improvements. Heroes of Newerth's graphics are very stable and in the five months that I have played the game I have yet too see a fault.

The Game has a well developed sound base, with each Hero having his own unique voice and sayings. Every spell has a feel of "epicness" to it with every spell engaging the audience into an action packed fight to the death!

Heroes of Newerth has very few maps at this point in time, with a highly anticipated Map Editor coming out in the future. Along the Dream Hero Creator, Heroes of Newerth is set too overtake the more popular League of Legends. Heroes of Newerth's main map of choice, Forest of Caldavar is taken directly from DoTA. It is a well symmetrically organized map containing two opposing player bases, with three lanes, and several towers guarding each lane along the way. Each base spawn periodically NPC's (Creeps) and patrol each lane toward the opposing team's base. The main objective in the game is based upon killing creeps and enemy players to earn money, and purchase upgradeable weapons and armor. Using combinable items "Item Recipes" your hero has the potential to become powerful enough along side your team to destroy the opposing base, or they concede the match. Naturally the opposing team will object to this notion, and they are also accumulating wealth and equipment. Equipment plays an important role in the game, since a significant portion of your hero's killing power will come from hoarding equipment.

Heroes of Newerth also has a PSR "Public Skill Rating" system, which allows you too gain Rating very similar too the way the Arena System works in World of Warcraft. HoN also provide KDR "Kill to Death Ratio" which shows your average kills, deaths and assists. This allows if your PSR is lower due too losing via playing with your friends, a chance too show that you are truly a skilled player.

Graphics: 9
    Sound: 9
    Replay Value: 8.5
    Value: 8.75

The graphics are suburb, and the sounds take Heroes of Newerth to a whole new level of immersion to enhance competitive play. The booming voice over of the announcer at many important moments during each game, highlights achievements and objectives reached both by an individual and their team. The overall quality of the game is amazing and the immersive environment makes it fell like you are playing live in a competitive cyber sport. With an online community that provides full support, such as Add-Ons, Replays, Tournaments, Ladder stats and much more. Heroes of Newerth will become the new Mainstream replacement for the Classic DoTA.

Review by
    Jackie Moon
    Last edited by Jackie Moon; 05-17-2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Check out my YouTube: SkeetzGaming

Heroes of Newerth
    Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like LoL (League of Legends) more tho. Same idea, less graphics, but way more fun gameplay and its free.
    www.leagueoflegends.com
    League of Legends

Viter's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    I like LoL (League of Legends) more tho. Same idea, less graphics, but way more fun gameplay and its free.
    www.leagueoflegends.com
    League of Legends

yup to me the engine works alot better.

Hate the HoN engine.

Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloading LoL as I can't bother buying HoN. I'll see how it is as I like HoN

Great review!

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

The Maffyx's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remus's Avatar Banned

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That guy's review is better >.> mini articles are mini and provide little information to stuff; reviews are reviews about all aspects and detailed looks at everything. Albeit most reviews will be similar verbatim should not be done.

If you are going to take the time to write one up, do the above in excruciating detail, otherwise you are having others go to Google(to get more information) instead of making them stay here to get the information.(which btw is the way to generate users and interest beyond stop and drop.

Chrommie's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt really like HoN, I prefer LoL as its more unique.

LJN's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind LoL but I like HoN better since its a lot more like dota. I think HoN as a lot potential with the map editor/sdk, dream (Make your own hero), and there full scale competitive support. But both games are great I just the competitive seen better :P

Also if your going to show a Hammerstorm replay use this: YouTube - Heroes of Newerth - Hammerstorm Gameplay
    ahhhh

Jackie Moon's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make some extension's i'm currently playing Ladder. Will report how that mode is.
    Check out my YouTube: SkeetzGaming

b1ink's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just downloaded LoL but my keyboard broke so I can't play yet

Slickzz's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been playing since closed beta. The game is actually enough interesting to buy it.

Greedy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dota > HoN > LoL from a 5y Dota player.
    On topic: I think HoN is a great game, didn't succeed to take over Dota but got a lot of attention and is growing rapidly in popularity. 1/10 Long-time dota players went for this game instead of Dota. If you haven't played dota, i suggest you to start playing HoN since it's very similiar, a bit more attractive, simplified compared to dota and lots of fun.

Forever's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this game too and it's really a lot of fun to play together with friends. I had a beta-invite a few months ago so I've played a couple hundred games by now I think. Never played dota or anything like that (first time I joined the game I asked how I could build structures ). As I got to understand the game better it became a lot of fun though.

You can play as several roles like
    - initiator (almost always the one starting battles with an ability)
    - carry (usually weak in the beginning but has (often passive) abilities that increase dmg/atk speed/whatever with a certain % so you basically get more benefit out of items than other heroes. These will be the strongest later on.
    - support, well these are mostly healers and stuff but also heroes with a good stun/slow can be considered support
    - ganker, these are really a lot of fun to play imo as you basically run around the map for most of the time killing enemy heroes

There are some subroles too but not really too important for a noob

If you have this game you should add me to friends my nick is Reverof, I live in CET timezone though and only play NL-EU-FR-DE-UK servers.

It's too bad there isn't a "free trial" anymore for this game because a lot of people never played a game like this. But I introduced this to a lot of friends and they all like it so I suggest you try it too

Slickzz's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really prefer the ganker, as it is a fun role to play. Also for that you get so damn many kills XD

tolana's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, HoN is NOT a RTS game. It's a MMOBA ( Massive Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) A new genre just for theese type of games.

When thats stated, I would say your review is very decent, but you miss some very important stuff.
    The Basic Elements in HoN. as forever says it, The Initiator, carrier, Supporter and Ganker.

When we have the 4 types of Heroes / playstyle, ( thats very important too, There are alot of heroes that can be played as both supporter or Carry.)
    We can move on to the very unique part of HoN, The Tactics, And Teamplay, When theese 2 things are combined you have a very strong team,

HoN is a game you can play for fun, together with friends.

But, it can be played on a very high skill niveua aswell.

with the Teamplay, and tactics combined, it gives a unique exsperience.

//Tolana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast