0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is an MMOwned Helper?

Hello again everyone! Today I bring to you a very short article & interview related to one of the big changes here at MMOwned: the new MMOwned Helper position.

You may have noticed some members with a fancy new usertitle around the forum? These members are basically mini-moderators and help with things like reports, spam, trolling etc. (basically what the other moderators do-except for a couple of limitations). In the end though, they are to be respected as you would any other staff member.

So far two members have been appointed to this position:

Unholy[S]haman & maclone.

If you are interested in this position and think you would not only be a suitable candidate but also share the same passion for the website that the other moderators do then please follow what was stated in KuRIoS' post here:

Originally Posted by KuRIoS
    "We're looking for ACTIVE staff members! So if you think you have what it takes, then write an application to KuRIoS and say why we should chose you."
    The following is an interview with the one of the first ever members to be granted this new rank and I have devised a couple of questions to describe what exactly he does for other members who might be interested in learning a little more.

[BREAK=Interview with UnholyShaman]

Interview with: Unholy[S]haman
    Conducted via: Private Message

Glynbeard:
    1. Would you be able to briefly explain to us what an MMOwned Helper actually is?

Unholy[S]haman:
    An MMOwned helper is essentially a mini-moderator. Our job is to assist the current Moderators and Administrators in keeping the forums clean and orderly. We can do most of the tasks that Moderators perform.

Glynbeard:
    2. How would another user go about becoming a Helper like you?

Unholy[S]haman:
    I believe that the first real step to becoming a Helper or even a Moderator is to show a strong inclination to helping people and helping MMOwned as a whole. Before I even dreamed of being a Helper or Moderator, I always made an effort to report posts, guides new users, try mediate arguments and contribute as much as I could to the community that I had grown so fond of over these years since I joined back in 2007.

Recently after the MMOwned open staff meeting that happened on mIRC the other day, KuRIoS posted a report on the home page http://www.mmowned.com/forums/site-n...1th-march.html . In the report he wrote that MMOwned were looking for more Active staff members, and I thought that this is just the position for me. I had managed to maintain a legitimate over 50% activity level simply because I have a lot of time that I can spend browsing and helping MMOwned. So I sent him a rather lengthy PM on why I thought they should choose me, how I had been helping in the past and how I would like to continue helping in the future. At the time it really was not about ranking, I just wanted to find out how I could help and contribute more than what I was already doing.

Glynbeard:
    3. What sort of jobs would you be expected to complete as an MMOwned Helper?

Unholy[S]haman:
    Our job description reads "Your job is to keep MMOwned clean, friendly, safe and organized". Essentially our main job is dealing with reports sent in my users, taking care of reposts, questions/requests in wrong forums, necro-posting, begging, inappropriate language, flaming, trolling, spam and advertising. We are always an extra hand waiting to help at any moment.

Glynbeard:
    4. What sections do you overlook? Do you get any choice in which you want to oversee during your time in this position?

Unholy[S]haman:
    I was asked which section I would prefer if I had a choice in it, and I replied World of Warcraft Guides, as well as offering my assistance anywhere else that I am needed. As a result, I was assigned to the main World of Warcraft section World of Warcraft - MMOwned - World of Warcraft Exploits, Hacks, Bots and Guides . You can find a list of the moderators and which forum they moderate in the Usergroups menu MMOwned - World of Warcraft Exploits, Hacks, Bots and Guides - Show Groups.

Glynbeard:
    5. Other than that feeling you get after a good days work, what other aspects of the job make it appealing for you?

Unholy[S]haman:
    It has always been in my nature both in-game and in real life to assist others the best I can. I get my satisfaction from knowing that I managed to make a difference in someone else's life, no matter how small it was. MMOwned has been like a second family to me over these years, and I enjoy nothing more than offering my free assistance to help make it the best that it can be.

Glynbeard:
    6. Do you get to participate in official staff decisions?

Unholy[S]haman:
    MMOwned helpers do not have access to the Moderator and Administration forums (I'm guessing because they enjoy discussing us hehe) however they have been kind enough to create us our own MMOwned Helper Forum section where we may raise any questions or concerns as well as put forward suggestions and contribute to each others ideas. When they wish to have our input, we get contacted via PM or on MSN/Skype.

Glynbeard:
    7. Why that specific usercolor? Was it chosen randomly or is there a method to the madness?

Unholy[S]haman:
    Actually originally we weren't going to have our own usercolor, it would just stay the same color as our current rank was (Contrib, Elite, Legendary etc). They had a legitimate reason behind it though because it could create potential conflicting problems with the new MMOwned VB4 when we transition across.

I did put forward some suggestions though on how they could implement a new colorscheme without causing too much confusion. I suggested that they look into making us a light/faded green color so show we belong to the moderator section but are not full moderators. Thankfully Apoc came and saved the day and seemed to convince KuRIoS to let us have our own color - personally I am very grateful because pink is SO not my color! Hehe.

Glynbeard:
    8. I know you have only been in this position for a couple of days, but you could describe what the experience is like thus far?

Unholy[S]haman:
    At first it was a very interesting learning experience. KuRIoS posted two monster guides for me to read through on how to represent myself on MMOwned as well as what my job entitled. I am really enjoying my job now because instead of simply reposting a post and waiting, I get to immediately take action and that's what I love. My experience overall has been very positive, I have been accepted very warmly by the rest of the community and they have given me a lot of support. Other members of the staff have always been on MSN or Skype at the ready to assist me or answer my questions when ever needed. Last night I stayed up until 5am simply because I was enjoying myself waaaay too much to go to bed.

Glynbeard:
    9. Do you have any comments you would like to share with us related to the position before the interview comes to a close?

Unholy[S]haman:
    I actually do, I want to remind others that just because you are not yet or have not been chosen to become a Helper or Moderator, does not mean that you cannot still contribute and make an effort to making MMOwned a better place. Every bit helps, so when you see something out of line, report it or do your best to coach the misguided user into the correct direction. If you really want to be a Helper or Moderator, contributing and assisting should come naturally and you really do need to have plenty of time to spare on the forums.

Also remember, we are also human beings and we get lonely if everyone gets too intimidated to talk to us, so if you bored and looking for a chat feel free to drop me a line anytime <3.

Glynbeard:
    Thank you U[S] for taking the time to fill this out.

[BREAK=Conclusion]

I do hope that after reading that you have a better understanding of what an MMOwned Helper really is and does. If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or PM me on the forum and I'll try to reply as soon as I possibly can.

If any other Helpers appear or if I can persuade maclone into the interview (<3), I will update this with their answers to the questions for comparison.

Thanks for reading MMOwned!

Glynbeard
    MMOwned News Team
    Last edited by Glynbeard; 03-14-2010 at 11:14 AM.

What is an MMOwned Helper?
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xel was a MMOwned helper before becoming a full mod as well - although there wasn't a custom colour at the time. I don't know if it was the same for any other mods, but point being unholy isn't the first one.
    Also activity is biased towards quantity over quality, a person could help someone in one huge post, rather than 10 small posts, and the 10 small posts would count as a higher activity. Just a point I wanted to make from reading a part.
    Good article, will solve the FAQ on the new colour for a lot of people.
    Last edited by stoneharry; 03-14-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Missed a word in the last sentance

Glynbeard's Avatar Mawd Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    Xel was a MMOwned helper before becoming a full mod as well - although there wasn't a custom colour at the time. I don't know if it was the same for any other mods, but point being unholy isn't the first one.
    Also activity is biased towards quantity over quality, a person could help someone in one huge post, rather than 10 small posts, and the 10 small posts would count as a higher activity. Just a point I wanted to make from reading a part.
    Good article, will the FAQ on the new colour to a lot of people.
    Thanks for the input. I edited the first ever part to accommodate Xel .

Zoidberg's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to Unholy[S]haman and maclone with the MMOwned Helper title.

And grats to whoever the next member to join the group is.

Abra su mente a la realidad.
    Do NOT contact me about trading section stuff. Contact a section MOD instead.

Relexx1's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to uhmm.. Flame or anything, but the banner-thing.. Wouldn't it be 'AN MMOwned article' instead of a? Considering that you'd say 'World of Warcraft is an MMORPG'.. Uhmm.. Yeeaah.
    Ow yeah, and congratulations to

I BE EPIX

JD's Avatar Fedora Potato Johnson V
    Thanks G/R
    12/89
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Relexx1 View Post
    Not to uhmm.. Flame or anything, but the banner-thing.. Wouldn't it be 'AN MMOwned article' instead of a? Considering that you'd say 'World of Warcraft is an MMORPG'.. Uhmm.. Yeeaah.
    Ow yeah, and congratulations to

EXACTLY! Haha, I so agree, we actually had a thread about this in the newsteam section xP

Glynbeard's Avatar Mawd Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    EXACTLY! Haha, I so agree, we actually had a thread about this in the newsteam section xP
    Yea you were right :P. Grammar continues to a cold hearted.. Well you know where I was going haha.

ReidE96's Avatar Archer Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the original "helper mod" idea, just someone modding one section without joining the usergroup pretty much. This is a way better thing, I'd say