0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borderlands

In Borderlands your goal is to find the vault on the planet Pandora, which is said to contain vast stories of alien technology and secrets. There are four characters you are able to play as, with the level cap being 50. There are three ways to play this game. Single player, split-screen, or over Xbox live. All three work very well, which I will go into in more depth later on in this review.

Game: Borderlands
    Genre: 1st person shooter / rpg
    Developer: Gearbox Software

Xbox 360, Windows, and Playstation 3.

In the future, colonization ships journey to Pandora to discover a new life, and to get rich of the large sums of minerals. Once arrived many colonists discover that the planet is a barren land, with not much significant value. Those who are wealthy enough leave the planet, while the rest remain revolving around chaos, and lawlesness. Some seek to get rich by discovering alien technology, but most are just looking to survive. After seven years, the planets seasons shift from Winter to Spring and many horrific monsters appear from hibernation. The vault, a beacon of hope to many, emerges carved into the side of a mountain. However the people who discovered the vault were obliterated by some "defensive" force, and only their radio signal of such a majestic place remains.

1GB system RAM
    2.4 GHz Pentium 4 Processor
    NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GS
    ATI Radeon X850 Series
    Dual Layered DVD-ROM drive
    8 GB of hard disk space

The graphics for this game are stylized and cel-shaded, similar to those in the upcoming Red Steel Two. The graphic are very cartoony, and bring out the game's dark subject matter in a unique way. There are a lot of guns and every gun has its own appearance. This is due to the random generation of guns in the game. All of them are fun to look at, and great for killing monsters and people. The planet Pandora is a desert wasteland, and looks the part. There are quite a few dungeons and each one is different in size and looks.

The audio in this game is alright, with a few really cool things that haven't been done all that much, such as full dialog for each quest. There is also a mini story within an audio journal that you find throughout Pandora. Although the guns are very satisfying when shot, the characters don't have much to say.

Lets start off with who you can play in Borderlands. There are four different characters, all with their own unique abilities and skills. There are talent trees in this game, as well as skill specific items.
    Beserker: Brick (the Beserker) is a burly man who comes to Pandora looking for his sister. His specific attack is to become enraged, gaining more health and making his melee kills very destructable.
    Siren: Lilith comes to Pandora in search of another siren, with only five others in the universe. Her special ability is to go into a parallel universe, becoming invisible, and increasing amounts of speed. Upon revealing herself she does a massive amount of shock damage aoe.
    HunterMordecai came to Pandora in search of a man from his past named Demosthenes. His special ability is to release a flying pet named bloodwing, that can be trained to kill multiple people at a time.
    Soldier:Roland's class specific skill is a turret. It can be specialized to deal damage, heal teammates, or spawn ammo.

The game is built very similar to wow. There are quests that you do to get guns, money, and experience. This game is great online because the more people you play with (up to 3 others) the harder the npc's are, but the better the loot there is. There are "dungeons" in Borderlands, with quests within them, as well as out. There is PvP, being either duels or arenas with free for all or 2v2 set-ups. The game play of Borderlands is really fun, because there is so much for you to do while leveling. The only thing that I dont find all that fun is driving a vehicle. It has Halo 3 warthog controls on the xbox, and it is really glitchy and this stage, and VERY hard to drive.

This game is great for MMO players, as well as fps players. The amount of things that you can do within the game makes up for its slight faults / glitches. If your looking to take a break from wow, or to not play a competitive game play this. You can relax while still having loads of fun.

I hope you like my review, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Borderlands
    Saedusii's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, the story section was a direct copy pasta from Wikipedia.

And driving isn't that hard to control for me, although it is VERY glitchy and you will get stuck on objects often and be forced to run back to the vehicle spawning location.

Great game, though.

Edit: Well, not a direct copy pasta, some words are changed. aaaand probably not from Wikipedia as the source, maybe the game manual, which I do not have since I bought from steam.
    Last edited by Saedusii; 11-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Forgiving's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah some of it was from the manual, some of it was from wikipedia. Peacing things together. I havent fully beaten the game yet so I didnt know for sure.

da_bizkit's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played the PC version a bit, but the glitches made me uninstall it. Why ?
    1st. Problems with the latest Nvidia drivers - ok, i uninstalled them and installed earlier version. I thought that it fixed it for a while, but the glitches returned with full force.
    2nd. At the first mission, the retarded Claptrap didn't talked to the doctor npc so the game just "stucked". Whatever i did he wouldn't talk. I had to reload my save and start over again. This time it worked.
    3rd. Random crash and i uninstalled xD
    -Rogues Do It From Behind-

Pragma's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by da_bizkit View Post
    I played the PC version a bit, but the glitches made me uninstall it. Why ?
    1st. Problems with the latest Nvidia drivers - ok, i uninstalled them and installed earlier version. I thought that it fixed it for a while, but the glitches returned with full force.
    2nd. At the first mission, the retarded Claptrap didn't talked to the doctor npc so the game just "stucked". Whatever i did he wouldn't talk. I had to reload my save and start over again. This time it worked.
    3rd. Random crash and i uninstalled xD
    Can I have your copy then =)?

Saedusii's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just beat the game and I am on my second playthrough.

Second playthrough has different mobs (names at least, not sure if they are slightly different looking), badass mobs are changed to BadMutha mobs, and appear very early on in the game, you start the second playthrough with everything you had from playthrough one, money and weapon drops are better too. I've only gotten up to killing Nine-Toes before my brother wanted to get off to do his homework so ima have to wait a bit to see if there are any other changes.

tantos's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's a fine game. But it's very easy to cheat there. No anti hack system and everything is hackable in the case. These hacking guys just destroy the game feeling. Imagine the hardest boss killed with one shot -.-

Mirror's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother has it for the PS3, and he beat it in like 1 week.
    Has a level 50, and a level 37, and a level 21? But yeah... wtf..
    THIS SIGNATURE IS IN VIALOATION OF SITE RULES, PLEASE FIX ME!
    -Fault

r3deemer's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    7/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i found the game to be enjoyable. One of the only games i didnt mind rolling every class and playing the game through with.

Sadly though, the game, as with all games that are released now, was made with console intentions first. Vehicle controls would be the first example, DLC the second.

I do have a few questions about your experiences. Are you playing this on a console or pc? What do you think of the co-operative mode?(If you have tried it). And from what you have done so far, do you feel you could play the game through a second time with harder enemies or even as a different character?

Would like to hear more about what you thought about it :P and less of what wikipedia and 2K thought

--- Thanks Enfeebleness

Dombo's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed this game very much together with my friends and my brother.

I also have all the DLC expansions, which is fun too!