0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOTR Online

So, I play WoW every night. I enjoy it, despite it's flaws, because I view all of its problems as fixable over time. But a couple of weeks ago I started playing Lord of the Rings Online.

I started a Dwarf Guardian, then put him on hold at level 6 for awhile. In the meantime I played a Race of Man Captain (hehe "Man-Captain") up to level 9 as an alt. Now I'm back to the dwarf who has achieved level 12. I think I've played enough of the game's early portion to offer up my opinions.

I really like it.

First of all, as much as I love WoW, it's really difficult not to notice the stark contrast in polish between the two relatively new MMOs. Granted WoW seems like it has a much larger world, and some of the game systems (crafting, etc) are more intricate, but LOTRO just... glides. It's clean, it's shiny. It's pretty impressive, really.

First of all, I'm a texture nut. I always prefer games that use textures on the models instead of trying to use polygons and lighting to do most of the work. High quality textures by a talented artist always have far more personality, and are far more detailed and fun to look at. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that LOTRO had such crisp and detailed textures on things like faces, armor, environments, etc.

I certainly never thought I'd enjoy an MMO based on a license. It always seemed to me like there would be too many limitations. And there are limitations, of course. I mean they can't make up new playable races, really. We'll never get a wyvern or a griffin as a ridable mount. But I must say, Turbine seems to really be making it work so far. I haven't really felt confined in the game.

The game has it's share of "Go kill X number of N" quests, but one of the first things to hook me was the epic line of quests in the game. While you have a literal butt-ton of quests available to you at any given time, there is a main, epic storyline that everyone can follow. It seems to start off differently based on race, and then I guess it merges. The story is divided into "books", and each book has a number of "chapters". Fitting, no?

There are 8 books in the game, with book 9 coming this week with the Shores of Evendim update. And as far as I know, that doesn't even take the events in the world as far as the end of the first Lord of the Rings book. So I guess they can keep this going for a while. What their long term plan is, I don't know. I mean eventually the story has to end. Maybe they'll be able to make up some stuff at that point.

Some of the quests, particularly the epic storyline, have a lot of scripted events that really set them apart of standard collection quests. It's almost like playing a single player game, but with other people. I always tell myself I'm going to read the quest lore in an MMO, and it rarely holds out for long. But I've been reading it for LOTRO. Even the run-of-the-mill quests. They're just really well written.

I've seen deeper crafting systems, but I think LOTRO's system fits really well with the overall style of the game. Lots of inter-dependancy, not terribly difficult, but it can be challenging at times. It does take some effort and dedication to get anywhere notable with it.

Haven't tried PVMP yet, but now that our little troupe is past level 10, we'll be making our monster characters any time now.

But yeah, it's a fun little game, that LOTRO. I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely changed my opinions from the beta test.

LOTR Online
    Glynbeard's Avatar Mawd Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: LOTR Online

LOTRO was one game i was considering to buy, i had leard mayne pros and many cons. But after this i think i might take a look at it. Thanks for the share Mejere..sounds fun.

Shanaar's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have LotRO as well, I won't go into as much detail as Majere, but I have a level 19, nearly 20 Elf Champion.

I have had different opinions of the game so far, mainly about the zones. My Elf started out in Thorin's Gate, a Dwarf Stronghold in the Blue Mountains, built by, surprise surprise, Thorin Oakenshield. In this snowy area, my character got to know the basics and leveled to 6. As in all the areas, the final quest there is a part of the epic quest, whihc is always in a solo instance (like a dungeon for one man ).

After the dungeon, in which *plot spolier* a Vampire Demon and a memebr of the Carzûl (the Mortal servants of Angmar) raise Skorgrim, and evil Dourhand dwarf who has sworn to serve Angmar *End Spoiler* your Elf is blasted forward 2 years and placed southeast of Thorin's Gate, into the city of Celendim, an Elven port. From here you head north helping elves and sometimes dwarves, and even Dunedain with quests.

After Ered Luin has been finished, the main quest sends you to Bree, and on the way there you pass through the Hobbit inhabited Shire, which will contain a few quests that are quite easy for the level (around 12) Elf you would be. After the Shire, you enter Breeland, which is the equivalent of the Barrens in WoW. Breelands is a MONSTER of a zone, ranging from level 1 (men start here) all the way to level 25, in Orongoroth (the Great Barrow). In Bree, the main quest has you clear out brigands and driving off Black Riders, and culminates in having you fight a Barrow Lord with the aid of Tom Bombadil.

The main quest then jumps many levels, up to 26, and sends you to the Lone Lands. However, while the main quest will be way too high for you; the Lone Lands are ideal for level 15+, and are, in my opinion, the best of the zones I have visited so far. The lore here is strongest, and the quests more interesting. Also, with Ultra High graphic settings, the terrain is amazing

All in all, it is a great buy, although sometimes quests can be unusually hard; one quest that looks to be several levels below you cna turn out into an extremely hard challenge. Also, there are no functions to tell you the recommended group size for the quest you are about to undertake.

The game world is huge; and while having less zones than WoW these zones are more populated and much larger than the ones in World of Warcraft, oh, and make sure you always have the best weapon you can get, you need it for the signature quests; the signature mobs can be hard
    If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of Progress?

Saint-Pasdoy's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont like the game lol, because a bot isnt ready for it :P, if someone want an account, tell me. i can share it

kalish's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every night?!?!

Notahax's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    7/24
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played it I thought it was fun if you play with a parrner. If you play by yourself it gets boring fast! trust me! anyone agrees?
    -

Koliho's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got a trial account cd key from one of my friends, leveled to 10 but eventually i had to remove it :/ You better have a decent computer to play this.

Alkhara Majere's Avatar Account not activated by Email
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me tell you what I love about Lord of the Rings Online.

Almost everything.

Let me tell you what I hate about Lord of the Rings Online.

Hobbits.

I have grown to absolutely despise those little ****ers. I am resolved to never group with one of the furry little shits, and if I have to carry out a quest for one of them, you had better believe I am going to do so with the most disdain I can muster. Hobbits irritate me on every level.

I think it was Adso that pushed me over the edge. The Hobbits of Staddle were obnoxiously laze, to be sure, running me back and forth delivering messages when they're all standing within spitting distance of each other, if they'd just roll off their fat asses for a moment. Listening to Eldo Swatmidge pine over that widow a couple of farms down didn't help either. Sweet monkey christ dude, just go to eHarmony dot com. Shut your trap.

But then we get to Adso's camp, and lo and behold the little hairy nut is the worst one yet. Heaven forbid you move a few steps, Adso. Sure, I'll go collect ten bear pelts and ten boar pelts for you. Here you go. What's that? Oh, you also want fifteen wolf pelts? Well why didn't you mention that when I went out there before, since bears, boars and wolves are all in the same ****ing place.

Fine, Adso, there. Are we all done? No, of course not. You need more boar pelts now. And you also need them delivered to Bree-town. You're the one with the cart, but hey, I've got legs, I'll do it. **** you, Adso.

Oh good, next stop is the Shire. Chock full of moppy-headed rat ****ers. I'll be sure to give them as much as my wrath as possible, with your regards, Adso.

Oh yes, there is wrath.

MLT's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Majere

Almost everything.

Hobbits.

I have grown to absolutely despise those little ****ers. I am resolved to never group with one of the furry little shits, and if I have to carry out a quest for one of them, you had better believe I am going to do so with the most disdain I can muster. Hobbits irritate me on every level.

I think it was Adso that pushed me over the edge. The Hobbits of Staddle were obnoxiously laze, to be sure, running me back and forth delivering messages when they're all standing within spitting distance of each other, if they'd just roll off their fat asses for a moment. Listening to Eldo Swatmidge pine over that widow a couple of farms down didn't help either. Sweet monkey christ dude, just go to eHarmony dot com. Shut your trap.

But then we get to Adso's camp, and lo and behold the little hairy nut is the worst one yet. Heaven forbid you move a few steps, Adso. Sure, I'll go collect ten bear pelts and ten boar pelts for you. Here you go. What's that? Oh, you also want fifteen wolf pelts? Well why didn't you mention that when I went out there before, since bears, boars and wolves are all in the same ****ing place.

Fine, Adso, there. Are we all done? No, of course not. You need more boar pelts now. And you also need them delivered to Bree-town. You're the one with the cart, but hey, I've got legs, I'll do it. **** you, Adso.

Oh good, next stop is the Shire. Chock full of moppy-headed rat ****ers. I'll be sure to give them as much as my wrath as possible, with your regards, Adso.

Oh yes, there is wrath.
    It's Ok Alk, let it all out. I'm sure everything is going to be allright. Everyone hates hobbits! Cheer up

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..the Hobbits Stole My......

MLT's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, have some rep. That'll make you feel better

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes, there is wrath.

MLT's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways. THANK YOU!!! YOU JUST MADE ME CONTRIBUTOR. !

Can't wait to see my name in blue. ^^
    Last edited by MLT; 06-16-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Koliho's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Majere

Almost everything.

Hobbits.

Oh yes, there is wrath.

Copyed Straigth from Ctrl+Alt+Del

Right Majere?

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)