0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mage raid DPS guide

There are a few reasons why should one take a mage to his raid group.
    The average mage can

1. Buff the raid
    2. Provide the raid with unlimited units of meals (Now that food/water is combined in one)
    3. Deal insane amounts of damage withing a perfect time, i.e. have have an awesome DPS count.
    Most mages can probably do number 1 & 2, yet number 3 requires a bit more of experience, tactical thinking and preparation.

• Gear
    The main thing about your mage which makes him gear dependent is his specialization. (His spec)

1. Frostfirebolt Specialization
    Up until 1880 spellpower, I suggest you to raid with a solid 0/53/18 Frostfirebolt specialization. The spec

Assuming that you're hit capped (Or that you have a draenei, shadow priest, whatever else helps you lowering the required number of hit), the stats you should be looking forward to max out go in this way:
    Spellpower > Crit > Haste
    With a higher crit chance, you have a bigger possibility with achieving two consecutive Hot streak proccs. (Additional instant pyroblast -> Free dps)

If you are the only Frostfirebolt mage in your raidgroup, then I suggest you to take Imp. scorch glyph instead of Living bomb glyph, however if you aren't you should make a deal with your fellow mage(s) about stacking up improved scorch on your target for additional DPS on the Living bomb crits.

1. Arcane Specialization
    From 1881+ I would highly recommend you to switch to a 57/3/11 Arcane specialization. The spec

Assuming that you're hit capped (Or that you have a draenei, shadow priest, whatever else helps you lowering the required number of hit), the stats you should be looking forward to max out go in this way:
    Spellpower > Haste > Crit
    I prefer haste with this spec. Not only faster casting time, the bonus which lowers your Global Cooldown (GCD) is very helpful after starting a new set of attacks after an arcane barrage.

• Talents and glyphes.
    As linked above already, the FFB I used to use before is this Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Arcane spec as follows is url=http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0Vfk0IzxGuMtedcZbGc0o:iNw

Luckily, WoWhead has now glyphes integrated into their talent calculator, so you see my choices when checking the links, if you do so. (If you're not sure for the imp. scorch glyph, check my explanation from above)

The choice of your trinkets: (Haven't raided since Ulduar)

FFB:
    Sundial of the Exiled - Item - World of Warcraft
    Dying Curse - Item - World of Warcraft (since you have a hit deficit here in comparison with arcane, if you're raid's optimized, use the Embrace of the Spider - Item - World of Warcraft)

Arcane:
    Embrace of the Spider - Item - World of Warcraft
    Sundial of the Exiled - Item - World of Warcraft

• Spell rotations
    FFB: Scorch, scorch (or 3 more times; depending on the other Fire mages in your raid), Living Bomb, Frostfire bolt until LB blows, apply again, frostfirebolt all until Imp. scorch is about to fade, then repeat the whole thing. (Keep applying Living Bomb! Since 3.0.8/9, IDK exactly which, if the BOOM of the bomb crits it refunds mana!)
    Cooldowns: Icy veins: I used to pop that whenever it is available, for a longer fight or if you're in that condition, try to combine it in that way, that when it is about to end you use evocation -> shorter time to regain mana.
    Combustion: I activate it directly after the second scorch, if I'm "lucky" it won't crit -> it works just as the shatter combo. (Same goes for not blowing your Hot streak if the second scorch crits and the first frostfirebolt does - without launching off a pyro from the second frostfirebolt.)

Arcane: Arcane blast x3, if Missile barrage proc then arcane missiles if not then arcane barrage, repeat.
    Cooldowns: Presence of Mind - I used to activate it to get the third arcane blast off instantly. (Since it will trigger a GCD effect I have more time to realise if the third one launched a missile barrage proc)
    Arcane power: Automatically after the third arcane blast if it triggered a missile barrage, if not I wait for the first proc.

• Mana management
    First off, I almost never use mana potions, in fact, there was one single time when doing OS3D that I have used one (Was a mistake from my side, bad positioning with the blizzard, the fire wall CAME)

As Frostfire specialized you shouldn't have any mana issues at all, just make sure you have your three charges on your mana gem and if needed use evocation.

As arcane you will probably have some minor issues since it costs a lot of money to do all the spells (Third ablast is about 1k mana, missiles about 1k). The golden rule is to first use a mana gem and then afterwards evocation. (I'm going with the guess that your raid druids won't give you the mana regen buff)

!! One important thing to remember, don't ever wait for your mana to drop to zero. Get an addon that shows you your exact percentage, as well as your mana deficit so you can accurely determine when to use a mana gem and when to evocate.

If any part isn't explained enough, tell me/ask I'll try to make it clearer.
    19/5/2013

Mage raid DPS guide
    Sonic Waffle's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nice guide, helps a lot.
    +rep

Remahlól's Avatar !!jeULyJf8ld1
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dark Soul!
    19/5/2013

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont know if Arcane would be good for the longer DPs fights of Ulduar, Deep fire is on par with dps as arcane ppl claim now , maybe 3% less dps , but that is outweighed by the mana sufficient arcane. I personally dont have the HIT for DEEP fire so i chose FFB. arcane wouldnt be good for our ulduar raids either as fights are longer than mana can hold atm.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I wrote this from a POV of a person who hasn't raided Ulduar (Neither I won't in roughly the next 4 months)
    19/5/2013

Trollin's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why won't you be raiding for 4 months?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I won't play the game until the end of September. And not even sure if then.
    19/5/2013

Odd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide!! Like it
    Svaka cast, valjda ce mi poboljsati dps :P
    +2rep od komsije

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Odd, hehe, hvala burazeru
    19/5/2013

bobleeswagger's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide !
    Thats what I needed.
    I havent played any content of Bc and Wotlk
    I played hardcore when blackwing lair and Anh quiraj was out.
    Damn I miss these day's !!

And my main mage
    But I'm lvling another one

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, yeah.. Do you remember these very old days when Ignite used to stack? hehe, 10k ticks in MC ..

Good luck with your new choice!
    19/5/2013

comppapa's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the guide!

oblivion912's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guide is quite good

Mekks's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as it stands right now...

#1 DPS = FB/TTW
    #2 DPS = Arcane
    #3 DPS = FFB

Fb/Ttw requires alot of hit to cap, and has so/so mana usage but does the best DPS by far in ulda

Arcane requires the lowest amount of hit too cap, has teribad mana usage but does crazy burst damage on trash or if you just wana blow your hole mana bar on last 10% of a boss.

FFB is the middle spec for hit requirment, has really good mana usage but is now, and has been the sub par dps spec for a raid mage. in naxx it did fine (i was ffb thew naxx and untill 3.1) but in ulda it really seems to lack imo

if you are learning the fights i would go with FFB untill you get your first kills and can afford some mistakes.