0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] Making Holes with Taliis & Noggit

EDIT - Last but 1 value in the cell value reference picture is incorrect. The correct value for that cell is 16384. Typo ftl. CBA to fix image since the new taliis does indeed offer a better interface for adding holes now. Will leave this post as is for educational purposes. I strongly recommend upgrading your version of Taliis whenever a new version is released. Tigu's magic fingers will not fail your ME needs.

I recently got my hands on Taliis after deciding to go for another wow edit. And it's not hard to notice a lack of guides for the program. I only really want it for adding holes to terrain without having to delete the entire chunk. So after 20 mins or so of spamming random numbers into the values and hoping for the right outcome, I decided to actually use my head and work it out.

Now, I'll try not to turn this into a maths lesson.

Identifying Your Chunk
    First of all, you need to know what chunk you're on. Hit F7 in Noggit to toggle view of Chunk lines.

Once you've Identified your chunks, Click anywhere in the chunk you want to add a hole to. Noggit will display grid coordinates of your chunk, like so:

This is all the information you need from Noggit! Simplez?

Working out the Chunk ID in Taliis

So this is where maths start to kick in. Don't worry! It's easy!

Open up the .ADT you're working on in taliis, double click the file in the left pane to expand the tree and select "Holes".

Now, You'll notice that Chunks arent listed the same way in Taliis as they are in Noggit. Taliis doesn't use grid to identify a chunk, instead they're labeled 0-255 (16x16).

The simplest way to work out what chunk you're working with is to take the grid coordinate from Noggit, multiply the
    second digit by 16, and add the first.

B x 16 + A = ChunkID

- For example, let's say I want to edit "Map Chunk
    4, 8"

We Multiply
    16 by 8 giving us 128 and Add the 4 giving us 132. This means that Map Chunk 4, 8 is Chunk number 132 In Taliis.

NOTE: This equasion will not work for Chunks 0-15 since Noggits grid system start with 0. But in this instance, the first digit is the Chunk ID for taliis.

Hole Values
    Every Chunk within an .ADT is split into 4x4. That's a total of 16 blocks inside a chunk.
    every block has a value equal to *2 the block before it (except the first. duh.) For easy reference, here's a pic:

In this image, the value in taliis is set at 0 (no holes).

So if you wanted to remove the block valued "1", you would put "1" into the field in taliis.

If you wanted to remove Block "2", you would input "2". If you wanted to remove block "4" (the third in) you'd input "4". This is simple enough for any block you want to remove. Just input that value into Taliis and that block will be removed. Easy

Now, let's say you wanted to remove more than 1 block. For arguments sake, let's say, you want to remove block "16" and block "8". All we do is 16 + 8 = 24, and there you have it. inputting 24 into taliis will remove block "16" and block "8". Like seen here:

This will work for any combination you like. Simply add up the block values you want holes in, and slap the total into Taliis.

I hope this is put well enough. If you don't understand or you think it's messy, any suggestions are taken into consideration Will try my best to answer any questions.

Last edited by techniquees; 06-29-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Simplified and fully explained hole values

[Guide] Making Holes with Taliis & Noggit
    techniquees's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simplified and fully explained holes

natfoth's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice guide, nice and simple thanks

turrikasd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.. Making holes? Could it work to fill it with water so you can for example swim in arena thro the walls?

Tigurius's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @turrikads Neither Taliis nor the cmd-hack CreateHoles.exe is an exploiting tool >.<
    Like my work? Support Me! ;D

T@rget's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya, I'm trying to remove 8192+16348=24540
    So, in Taliis I enter that number and this is what I get:

It seems to me that it's removing 4+8+16+64+128+256+512+1024+2048+4096+16348 wich is 24504 in total, it's close to each other but not the same, I checked if I didn't mistype the numbers and I didn't. So what am I doing wrong? Maybe it's because I'm running a 64 bits system? :crap:

schlumpf's Avatar Retired Noggit Developer

Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by T@rget View Post
    8192+16348=24540
    Its 8192 + 16384 = 24576.

Its a typo in the picture.

Didn't a new version of taliis allow to set holes by just checking them instead of this thing?

T@rget's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by schlumpf View Post
    Its 8192 + 16384 = 24576.

Its a typo in the picture.

Didn't a new version of taliis allow to set holes by just checking them instead of this thing?
    Alright thanks schlumpf, I'm using the Taliis that was posted here, from a Filebeam mirror so maybe it's not the newest, don't know

techniquees's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't notice the typo. Schlumpf to the rescue. Pass on the new taliis, updated it just haven't needed to open it yet. Perhaps Thread = Outdated.

schlumpf's Avatar Retired Noggit Developer

Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "new" Taliis should be public as the old versions.

Larrylaffer's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I followed this guide, but this version of taliis, and the last one too, erased all the ocean around the map.
    Someone knows how i can fix that?

Regards