0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] How to make Successful Events

Sometimes, making an event can be abit hard, hopefully after reading this guide, you'll understand how you can make an event more efficiently and as least time consuming as possible.

Things to consider
    1. Location
    2. Objective of the event
    3. How the player can complete the objective
    4. What GO's or possibly NPC's to use
    5. Difficulty
    6. PvE or PvP
    7. How the players can get there (usually a GM summon)
    8. Prizes

1. Location
    The reason this is first, is so you know your limitations. There's no point wanting to spawn SW (Look here) and then going to GM Island!
    So the things you need to look out for are...
    3* Size
    4* Scenery
    Mob Count
    Area Activity (whether players are usually there or not)
    7* Accessibility

#* = Are affected by the corresponding step (3* would be affected by "3. How the players can complete the objective")

Have a good look round first and make a list of possible locations, keep them until the end.
    Here are a few that I picked...
    Emerald Dream - '.recall port EmeraldForest' or '.worldport 169 3118.401855 3096.809326 25.250587'

GM Island - '.recall port GMIsland' or '.worldport 1 16222.6 16265.9 14.2085'

"The Arena" - Somewhere around here, you enter at Silverwing Post and go into the mountains (see right image for a more accurate reference) or '.worldport 1 464.85753 -520.734497 68.750084'

Floating SW ^^ - Spawn it in the abyss in the outlands (past the flying barrier), don't forget to '.recall add' it

Southern Kalimdor GM Islands - '.recall port GM' or '.worldport 1 -11805.5 -4754.13 6.96693'

Modern Mount Hyjal - '.cheat fly' up there, '.recall port Hyjal' or '.worldport 1 4547.896973 -2803.228516 1316.34401'

2. Objective of the event
    For this step, you simply have to think of a "start" and "finish" for the event, ways you can do this would be looking at where the players would enter and where they ARE ABLE to leave (this can be floating tables, not necessarily on the ground)
    For example...
    Emerald Dream, Start - .recall location, Finish - up on the mountains in the circle you recall to
    GM Island, Start - the dock, Finish - top most part of the building (inside ofc)
    "The Arena", Start - one of the edges, Finish - the centre on a floating/high standing GO

3. How the player can complete the objective
    This is, ofc, vital. You have to pretty much think of what the event is, the most common ones are...
    Jumping
    Racing
    2v2
    Dodging
    Stairs
    Global Race (Doesn't require a location as much)
    PvE outdoor instance
    PvP

Now, these will be affected by the location for instance...
    Emerald Dream is starting much lower than the finishing place so this is likely to be a Stair event
    GM Island is a small course and not much room for GO's so this is likely to be a PvE outdoor instance
    "The Arena", going with my start and finish from before, this could be a stair/race event although judging by the name it'd also be good for a PvP event possibly 2v2 (bit big for that but still possible)
    Floating SW is big ofc and on the themed side, so maybe it could be a PvE outdoor instance/race like having to stop onyxia from getting to the king (© that's my friends idea! )

4. What GO's or possibly NPC's to use
    The GO's and/or NPC's you use here will be relying on the type of event. So say you wanted to do a race, you're not likely to stick your players in a cage and tell them to get to the end are you? You have to pick the right GO's and/or NPC's that'll fit. For example...
    A race - Tables (stairs), Cage Bases (track), then various GO's and hostile NPC's that'll get in your way
    Stairs Event - Tables, Chairs, then various objects that are hard to jump onto
    PvP - NO hostile NPC's, possibly a few GO's that'll add effect to an arena-like room

Click Here for an SQL with all possible GO's on (I created the SQL file but I don't know who made the list, I think it may have been Keazain, but I'm not sure) Then when/if I specify a GO DisplayID, like "471" type in 3260471, or "7642", 3267642, or "1", 3260001 etc.

.gobject spawn <ID> 1 IMPORTANT: If you want it to stay DON'T forget the 1 at the end!

185301 Cage Base (Metalic Floor) DisplayID: 6651
    185178 Grass DisplayID: 7284
    185172 Small Tree
    185174 Medium Tree
    185173 Large Tree
    180035 Fence DisplayID: 6157
    181075 Table
    180352 Torch

Gonna get some NPC's aswell soon

5. Difficulty
    Very simple, just think of how hard you want it to be.
    This will determine the prize and vice versa.

6. PvE or PvP
    This is heavily determined by the location, also, the accessibility (next step).
    If you're going to have a small place with a GM summoning, then it's best to have it as controlled PvP environment, if it's big then it's good to have a PvE or normal event.
    The main thing to watch out for is that if it's an event that doesn't involve PvP, and it's in a contested area (if the server's a PvP realm) the players will kill eachother to get an unfair advantage.

7. How the players can get there
    In this step, you can have 3 options. 1, GM Summons, pretty self-explanatory. 2, Path's, you can make some stairs or a path the players can use to get the event (advertise on .announce and .wannounce). 3, A Portal, this can be done in the DB's quite easily but it requires you to restart the realm so I'd only recommend it for permanent events.
    Yet again, this step is dependant on the location. If the location is small and has a low capacity, I'd recommend GM Summons. If the location is mediumish or large and isn't permanent then I'd recommend a path. If the location is mediumish or large and it IS permanent then I'd recommend a portal.

8. Prizes
    Like what was said in step 5, these 2 are dependant on eachother. Just make the prize get better and better as the difficulty gets hard and harder. Back to the examples (sorry forgot about them ^^)...
    An Epic = Low
    Full T7.5 = Medium
    Full T8 = Medium-Hard
    Talent points for an extra talent tree = Easy-Hard
    A Rare Item (not blue item, I meant one that hardly anyone gets) or A Custom Mount = Hard
    Full T8.5 = Very Hard
    1 Wish off a GM = Extremely Hard
    3 Wishes off a GM = So difficult your eyes would fall out like in cartoons ( ...somehow)

Have fun in your new events!

Credits:
    Me, My friend, Danceelf - Zenedar, Metafez

Please feel free to help with the guide, I'll be more than happy to allow other members to help out with the sections and give credit +Rep
    On holiday for 2 weeks but please feel free to leave any additions

Things that need working on...
    Section 2
    • Needs a few more examples, I'll work on the description (too vague)

Section 4
    • GO list needs re-doing, I don't know why Danceelf put the tents in
    • NPC list, still needs creating and, surprisingly, I don't have enough to to list stuff right now

Section 5
    • Two lines? We Needz Moar!

Section 6
    • Needs examples
    • It's missing something else but I can't quite tell what it is please feel free to have a shot ^^

Section 7
    • Needs links to a few other guides which teach you how to create portals and good paths (not just loads of cage bases )

Last edited by TelepathicIndian; 07-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Barely on MMOwned anymore sorry :/ Can't find anything to post about.

[Guide] How to make a Successful Event
    Metafez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to spawn SW then you have to make a custom object with the display id 471

warsheep's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Metafez View Post
    if you want to spawn SW then you have to make a custom object with the display id 471
    I'm pretty sure you also have to set the flag to 14.
    I was one of the first to post it here on MMOwned, after it was found on Emupedia. ^_____^

Anyway, more on topic..
    I've never had much use of a tutorial like this, but from skimming through it, it's very well written and detailed.
    +Rep

Edit:
    Oh, and are you sure about having to restart the server before adding the portal? I am pretty sure that you didn't need to restart.. at least that was before.
    Last edited by warsheep; 02-19-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    FOR A MOMENT, NOTHING HAPPENED. THEN, AFTER A SECOND OR SO, NOTHING CONTINUED TO HAPPEN.

TelepathicIndian's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by warsheep View Post
    I'm pretty sure you also have to set the flag to 14.
    I was one of the first to post it here on MMOwned, after it was found on Emupedia. ^_____^

Anyway, more on topic..
    I've never had much use of a tutorial like this, but from skimming through it, it's very well written and detailed.
    +Rep

Edit:
    Oh, and are you sure about having to restart the server before adding the portal? I am pretty sure that you didn't need to restart.. at least that was before.

I recognise your name, I think it was your guide I found, give me the link and I'll give you credit

also, the realm I'm currently running (Keazain's arcemu fun realm no spawned) has about 100-200 of the custom objects so I can easily stick that into an SQL and upload it (obviously giving credit to Keazain aswell )

and about the portal thing, I believe you can reload the tables for the object itself, but the teleporting spell that the object uses you doesn't really reload on ascent or arcemu, it's only if the spell was initially what it is (e.g. Teleport Goldshire), I'll try it now. Maybe it works on mangos

EDIT: nvm, found your thread and I've given you credit :D
    Last edited by TelepathicIndian; 02-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Camgrow's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Good Guide +Rep

3xploit's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I will save this guide for later use. +Rep when I can.

ooberstan's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good guide, will use for my server, +Rep tomorrow when I can!

Metafez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its gonna make it easier for some people if you give the worldport coords for the areas that arent in all of everyones databases, so heres the ones you have that most databases dont have in recal list:

Emerald Forest -
    .worldport 169 3118.401855 3096.809326 25.250587

Hyjal -
    .worldport 1 4547.896973 -2803.228516 1316.34401

"The Arena" Place -
    .worldport 1 464.85753 -520.734497 68.750084

Great guide btw +Rep
    Last edited by Metafez; 02-20-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update

Just added the coordinates and given Metafez some credit (and +Rep ), thanks (I'll get the other ones soon)

EDIT: Hhhmm, my server has stopped working -.- meaning I can't get anymore screenshots or coords untill I get it working /sigh, I'll start getting some images off wowmodelview in the mean time
    Last edited by TelepathicIndian; 02-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.

cello1993's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey anyone knows how do I make an "talentpoint add" item or quest?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by cello1993 View Post
    Hey anyone knows how do I make an "talentpoint add" item or quest?
    Give me a min, I'll search through my database to see how you can make it

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, under quests, you make a quest, and when you get to the column "rewardtalents" you just insert how many you want to give the player, I'll make one soon and release it in a new thread

btw, try to stay on topic please ^^

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right, I need some help to do with my server now :S
    it was working earlier today, I havn't changed anything since, yet when I went to restart the server, a problem started occuring, now it keeps getting stuck at 'Success!' and/or 'Logging into game server'
    without being able to connect to the server, I can't continue the guide which is of course, rather bad :S

oh, and the realms do show up, it just won't connect to them (I've tried going on localhost but my computer can't even connect to itself -.-)

EDIT: Got the localhost working (which is great, now I can continue with the guide :D) although now it's fully private :S
    Last edited by TelepathicIndian; 02-22-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Mitron's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe nice good locations. didnt know all of them. great GOs to well written too

----------------------------------------------------------------

cello1993's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TelepathicIndian View Post
    right, I need some help to do with my server now :S
    it was working earlier today, I havn't changed anything since, yet when I went to restart the server, a problem started occuring, now it keeps getting stuck at 'Success!' and/or 'Logging into game server'
    without being able to connect to the server, I can't continue the guide which is of course, rather bad :S

oh, and the realms do show up, it just won't connect to them (I've tried going on localhost but my computer can't even connect to itself -.-)

EDIT: Got the localhost working (which is great, now I can continue with the guide ) although now it's fully private :S
    I'm not an "expert", btu ... ^^ => If you use a DNS host, are you sure your extenal IP did not change? Or something happened to your DNS adress... you might also check your "host" file under C:\Windos\System\System32\drivers\etc" =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast