0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you

This thread, I just wanted to say thank you. I've been browsing around here for a couple days, and there is a wealth of information available. I've been writing software for more than a decade, but always in RAD languages, Java, .Net, etc. I've often wondered what it would take to do these tasks, but never had the inclination to look.

I've been at it for a few days, and my own framework is coming together nicely - thanks to all of the authors here, I've been scavenging your samples and materials. WoWBasic (pulled out the source from the DLL), the event framework, etc. etc.

And Cypher - you came across as an unapologetic dick at first, but upon closer inspection I realized that you're simply calling things as they are. Thank you for your contributions, I think your posts have been the most helpful (I ordered a copy of Reversing as well).

Thats it though - I'm just pleased to have found this resource When I get my own framework "finished" I'll happily post the solution here (Writing it in C#).

Peace

Thank you
    Shynd's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This place needs more people like you.

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by djvoid View Post
    This thread, I just wanted to say thank you. I've been browsing around here for a couple days, and there is a wealth of information available. I've been writing software for more than a decade, but always in RAD languages, Java, .Net, etc. I've often wondered what it would take to do these tasks, but never had the inclination to look.

I've been at it for a few days, and my own framework is coming together nicely - thanks to all of the authors here, I've been scavenging your samples and materials. WoWBasic (pulled out the source from the DLL), the event framework, etc. etc.

And Cypher - you came across as an unapologetic dick at first, but upon closer inspection I realized that you're simply calling things as they are. Thank you for your contributions, I think your posts have been the most helpful (I ordered a copy of Reversing as well).

Thats it though - I'm just pleased to have found this resource When I get my own framework "finished" I'll happily post the solution here (Writing it in C#).

Peace
    Heh. Good luck with what you're doing, if you have any questions feel free to ask. You'll find I'm only an "unapologetic dick" (fair summary) to people who aren't willing to help themselves or who ask really stupid questions that could be answered with the stickies or other threads. You obviously are willing to actually do some work so kudos to you.

Originally Posted by Shynd View Post
    This place needs more people like you.

/sign

djvoid's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, and I'll do my best to not ask dumb questions (or at least not many at all, since finding the answer is half the fun!).

I'm pleased with my framework so far - I can fetch all local objects, and read them - I'm comfortable working with pointers and lists so far - recursing through linked lists etc.

What IS bothering me is I am presently relying on the pointer dump you posted Cypher (see sticky above), I'm not clear on how you acquired those addresses yet. Someone mentioned IDA in some thread (I'm bouncing all over), and after a quick google, I have it (IDA Pro) installed and I spent some time disassembling the wow exe.

I installed CheatEngine first as per a different suggestion - and after getting the Warcraft Warning Freakout when I launched, I just ditched it altogether (Yes I saw you can run CE in stealth mode, just figured it wasn't worth the risk).

I'll just need to exercise a little patience while Amazon ships my book

I do have a question that I'll throw out to those in the know:

I intend to simply read memory from out of process, and send keystrokes via PostMessage - this feels to me to be the least intrusive method of interaction. Given this strategy - do you think I should have to worry about Warden *at all*? From what I've read, it sounds like there's no real way for their detection mechanism to identify what I'm doing. (Disclaimer: I understand that it is impossible to avoid detection completely, I'm just speaking generally)

I'm primarily aiming at automating group members (healers and dps) and then running as a tank on my primary toon - so I'm not worried about looting and such. If and when I ever pull it off, I'll fraps an instance run The sole motivation is 'to see if I can'

djvoid's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't resist - I didn't see another way to get the object name, so I ended up using the VMT function 47. Is it known whether Warden can detect injected function calls from out of process?
    Last edited by djvoid; 11-11-2008 at 02:56 AM.

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, warden does not "detect" injected dlls in a generic fashion (it would be impossible to differentiate between the legit and hacking dlls). Nor does it detect function calls, whether you're in our out of process doesn't matter as the method of detection is the same, a stack trace would catch both of these but Warden does not do that so you're fine.

RoKFenris's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by djvoid View Post
    I do have a question that I'll throw out to those in the know:

I intend to simply read memory from out of process, and send keystrokes via PostMessage - this feels to me to be the least intrusive method of interaction. Given this strategy - do you think I should have to worry about Warden *at all*? From what I've read, it sounds like there's no real way for their detection mechanism to identify what I'm doing. (Disclaimer: I understand that it is impossible to avoid detection completely, I'm just speaking generally)
    You should be quite safe from Warden, as long as your bot is not a popular one, but Warden is not the only way of detecting bots. If the characters behave in a way that looks like a bot you will be reported as a bot by other players. Unless your bot behaves in a really natural way, or behaves so similar to a conventional multiboxer that you can claim to be one, doing a multiple character bot is almost like painting a target sign on your toons, since multiboxers by their very nature are constantly reported and seem to get way more GM attention than conventional players.

BTW, if you are going to disguise yourself as a multiboxer, having all your accounts registered to the same person might be safer. Blizzard do search for powerlevellers.

djvoid's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good then - since I AM a multi-boxer, I generally will play three toons at a time on my machine (all of my accounts are registered to me)- just running them in windowed mode, tabbing and using predefined macros. Thats what really got me interested in memory editting - most of the game play feels very mechanical - why not automate it?

Thanks for the responses!