0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The OP Posting Screenshots of Virus Scans is Stupid

If someone is going to post a piece of software, letting them virus scan it themselves is stupid, even if you do insist on a screenshot. I could just post a virus, and virus scan a random file with the same name, which would therefore turn up nothing. Sure, the MD5 hash is there, but anyone security concious enough to check MD5 hashes of files (such as myself) would virus scan it themselves anyway.

Virus scans should be done by impartial 3rd parties. Letting the poster of the software verify the integrity of the file is a massive security concern and just leads to more people assuming the scan is true and getting infected in the event of someone posting a malicious file.

-----)(Please leave the copyright text intact)(-----
    This post is copyright by the user posting it and MMOwned.com - World of Warcraft Exploits,Hacks, Bots and Guides, where it was posted. You may not copy or reproduce this information on any other site without written permission from both the poster and MMOwned.com

The OP Posting Screenshots of Virus Scans is Stupid
    Flying Piggy's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The OP Posting Screenshots of Virus Scans is Stupid

The virus scan in the main posts request is here for the legit files and not the infected ones .
    Its obvious that if somebody wants to share a trojan or keylogger infected file here , he would surely photoshop his screenshot or not post a virus scan at all . This is why i systematically scan every new program which comes to this section , regardless of the screenshots . But asking for screenshots in the main posts works to stop all the "virus scan plz" or "KEYLOGGERZ !!!" spam that comes after every new posts .

Bokaz's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people are wise an read this it should stop a lot of spam an crying.sticky

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Flying Piggy
    The virus scan in the main posts request is here for the legit files and not the infected ones .
    Its obvious that if somebody wants to share a trojan or keylogger infected file here , he would surely photoshop his screenshot or not post a virus scan at all . This is why i systematically scan every new program which comes to this section , regardless of the screenshots . But asking for screenshots in the main posts works to stop all the "virus scan plz" or "KEYLOGGERZ !!!" spam that comes after every new posts .
    While the posting of screenshots in the main post may stop the spam by the idiots, you are also giving those same idiots a false sense of security. If they see a scan there, they will automatically assume it to be true, and will download the file, and get infected (in the case of a malicious file).

I belive the problem of viruses/trojans being posting and run with a false sense of security is a bigger problem than people spamming the boards with virus scan requests.

The action I would take would be to either:
    1. Turn on moderated attatchments, and stop people from posting offsite download links without approval, that would soulve the problem to a large degree.
    2. Warn people who are spamming the boards with the virus scan requests, and take action if they persist. Sticky a thread about how to virus scan files and screenshot them and upload. And lastly, not allow virus scans by the OP (because it gives a false sense of security).

Both ideas have their flaws (which I will go into if you want me to), but I belive they are both better than what is currently being done. (I'm not trying to attack the way things are being done, just suggest ways it could be done better)

Flying Piggy's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Chazwazza
    1. Turn on moderated attatchments, and stop people from posting offsite download links without approval, that would soulve the problem to a large degree.
    2.Sticky a thread about how to virus scan files and screenshot them and upload. And lastly, not allow virus scans by the OP (because it gives a false sense of security).
    For idea number 1 , i agree 100% although attachments already are moderated . But i think moderated threads in the Bots and Programs section only is a good idea since we don't get more than 2 or 3 threads created here every day and most of those are question threads which get deleted anyway , it could be done too since we always have at least 1 or more Mods online at any given time . For idea number 2 , i already did this : http://www.mmowned.com/forums/bots-p...s-section.html .

PS : Its nice to know you're back .

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Sorry if I came off a little harsh. I was having a bad day.

PS It's good to be back.

Relz's Avatar Feed the trolls
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, it is kindof pointless. But usually another person will scan it anyways, and [hopefully] most people scan files before they run them.

and welcome back chaz! its been forever since you were on.
    "Step right up and shake hands with the devil"

Wesk.'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SS isnt so hard to fake, better to scan ur self =)

Matt's Avatar Legendary Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    2/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

before any file gets hosted on mmowned it must pass virustotal.com
    if someone posts a direct link to their download and the file hasnt been approved yet it's your responsibility to scan it before running it. Don't be an idiot and you won't get a virus. discussion closed.