5/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altdorf is burning already!

Well I not playing this game yet I was just about to buy it till I read this...

Wizards & Wenches » Altdorf is burning

It was only last week that I did a post stating my concern with the Destruction popularity on most servers. Now we are one and a half week into WAR since release, and apparently Destruction has already captured the Order Capital. This fact not only somewhat confirm that the balance is seriously skewed, it also give me a bad feeling in the gut over the epicness of WAR’s endgame. I had the impression that waging a campaign and finally lay siege to a capital would be something monumental that would take the effort of a entire realm over a long period of time - “months” is the word that has been used from Mythic.

Are we just seeing some minor flaw in the system in that small groups can work without opposition during night time, or are we looking at some badly miscalculated and untested endgame?

A Order eyewitness reports:

I dont know how many of you have seen reikwald fortress or the dest equivalent, but it is a massive and imposing place. A true fortress. A large keep occupies the centre of the map, complete with terraces, battlements, pads for siege weaponary. Outside of the keep there is a town, with buildings, guards, and a fair old walk to the large outside wall encompassing the area. It is on this wall that I stood as I counted the forces of destruction approach. There were around 30. It’s okay I thought to myself, they have no ram, they are mostly sub-40, they are not a particularly large group. Despite the lack of player defence, there is no way they will get through this place. And if they can, it will take so long that we will have a sufficient defence force ready by the time they get to the lord. Five minutes later they were through the wall’s door. I thought that was quick considering the lack of ram, but nevermind, they’ve a whole town to fight through now. Twenty seconds later they were at the main keep, having had to fight no guards that I could see, guard patrols being too spaced out. The door on the keep should hold them back a bit, and maybe last longer than the outside doors. Surprisingly, they ran around to the back of the keep and clicked through the rear door to enter the keep in the same way that order do. No need to bash down the front door at all. Makes you wonder why it’s there and why they bothered to put a ram pad infront of it. Anyway, they strolled up to the keep lord and took him down in another 5 minutes.

And I’m in no way exaggerating. The whole thing, for a small group of sub level 40s with probably very poor gear compared to end game, took 15 minutes tops.

I mean, it’s obvious that some people will rush to max rank and try to get the first Capital sieges. And it’s also obvious that some will try to do it during weird times when there are no defenders, but you shouldn’t be able to do pull it all off in one day. Blitzkrieg might be a good way to wage a war, but it’s not really fun in a game. I want slow progress, not a Blitz in my war!

Age of Conan promised things of the same epic proportions, and we all know how that turned out. I’m not going to compare WAR to AoC - the developers actually played this game - but it does make you wonder if they didn’t promise more than they delivered. They cut out the other four capitals and I assumed that meant the last two would be pretty epic. And not just questing in them, but to burn them.

As Destruction is burning their way across all servers, Syp is calling from reinforcements to Order, and I think I will join them. If I was a animal in my last life, I probably was a salmon.

Also on Altdorf is burning (Warhammer city siege endgame begun) - Massively

They say this flub brings to mind the "buggy lagfest" of Age of Conan's launch endgame. Lag doesn't seem to have been the culprit in WAR, though. Instead, the final Fortress protecting Altdorf just didn't do its job. Destruction was able to gain entry and kill the final keep lord with almost no issues, with a (comparatively) tiny group of sub-40 players in not-so-hot gear. This entire thing just further exacerbates player concerns over faction balance, on top of obvious concerns about the game's extremely experimental endgame experience.

Altdorf is burning already!
    shazarn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :whythis:
    WARNING WALL OF COLOURED TEXT

Ah Ha
    Yes they may have taken the keep, But have they taken Altdolf??
    From what i have read, they have only met the parameters to gain entry to Altdolf, not sacked the bloody thing

2ndly,
    This was one of the problems I saw with the game, Keep sieges end game would not pickup until there were heaps of Tier 4 players
    do not let this get you down
    WAR is still a great game imo,

That article states it has huge balance issues, well i say, where were the order whilst all this was happening?? They were either asleep or leveling up i assume.
    This means that some destruction players decided to pull a late night and take a keep
    GOOD FOR THEM!
    The order could have defended, they didn't, boo hoo
    and once again, this still doesn't mean that the capital city is burning
    It just means that if they wanted to go and attack it, they could
    And besides, the order will wake up or get to lvl 30 and go WTF, they have out keep, quickly boys, lets go get it!

I hate blogs for this reason, very opinionated
    Not saying that free speech is wrong or anything, its just that people need to think before they post stuff like that, especially massively, thought they were smarter than that!!
    i thought they would be good enough and smart enough gamers to realize that its not a huge problem and that it can be easily solved by the order
    ill bet that the next few installments go something like this: (not exactly this but something like it)
    Either:
    1#
    Destruction has advanced on Altdolf, they have breached the outer walls
    Destruction were pushed back by the Altdolf defenders to day and the keeps retaken
    OR
    2#
    The order has rallied and has taken back the keep, destruction can no-longer attack

on my 2 servers (Darklands and Ironclaw, (Aussie WAR FTW)), is see endless ques some nights, i see Darklands, my destro server, backed up to 400 with destruction, and 200 with Order, this means that there is a big enough population on that server to defend, people just aren't high enough level yet
    On Ironclaw *My order* i see Destro ques of max 100 and Order ques of 10-20 max, This still means that the population is there
    This is why Mythic put a cap of 1000 on the servers, to prevent the population imbalance from getting out of hand

Closing Words,
    To the bloggers of the world, PLEASE think about all aspects of a topic before posting!!
    To Dassaace, plz dont let a dumb blog like this ruin what is a great game. It just needs that population to hit 40
    IMO, this article is like saying "There's too many alliance, we always lose battle grounds and they always kill bosses first, boo hoo"
    Yeh and why, because their population leveled up and got smarter
    But look what happened here, On my server Dalaran (yes i played wow b4 oceanic servers and haven't moved, 'ant i a dumb arse :P)
    The horde, pre that patch that they edited AV, kick the Alliances ARSE at absolutely everything, the alliance started bitching and, actually, lets not start this debate.

On topic again, You just need to wait for the population to level, im lucky enough to have picked a class that i like, it happens to be a magus, one of the most broken 1-20 classes in the game, but it gets better so ill keep trying and they'll get love soon hopefully :P
    I never played Age of Conan, but i hope that Mythic are smart enough to fix bugs, and balance the end game and hopefully make it just that little bit harder for my chosen to kill Karl Franz (god i hate that guy!6):6):6)

Open your minds people and think of all the possibilities

Was gunna say just my 2 cents but it seems more like $20 atm but hay
    Last edited by shazarn; 10-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.

TheFreak's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very funny because on the server my character is on, there are but two zones left that haven't been taken by the Order. So for me it's the other way around and I don't care, it's fun to keep fighting them every day.

Thanks to BreakDown for the above signature
    Become a donator today and get access to the awesomeness OwnedCore.com has to offer!

DonJohnson415's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TheFreak View Post
    This is very funny because on the server my character is on, there are but two zones left that haven't been taken by the Order. So for me it's the other way around and I don't care, it's fun to keep fighting them every day.
    Lol, when I was lvl 14 Sorc, we had an 18 chosen, 14 shaman, and 21 WE, and couldn't take Fangbeaka in a night. The next day 40 lvl 20s showed up and sacked it in like hour.

JoeThePlumber's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    5/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you much all I am on my way to finally get it! lucky its just a small issue noting really big