0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counter-Strike: Source Review

Counter-Strike: Source (Referred to as 'CS:S' or 'CSS' inside this article, and around the interweb.) is a highly popular FPS game. This game could even be considered the most played online FPS for the PC.
    However, it has never exactly... 'Gripped' me. Sure, it is a great Source-engine powered game that delivers what it preaches - hardcore FPS action - but over 90% of the players that play CS:S are 'Professionals'. I personally suck at CS:S, and whenever I attempt to play a decent game, It's 'BANG' Headshot a few moments after I spawn. The only way to get any skill is if you find an empty game and maybe bring along a nice friend or so. But still, the game itself lacks lustre - the settings and maps it ships with are mediocre at best, and there is almost TOO MUCH custom stuff to deal with. At the slowest time in the day, there can be over 20,000 servers in the available listing. Peak time? Double or triple that. Servers are hosted on dedicated computers, and are very cheap to be rented on websites like Counter-Strike.com - as a result, there are loads of servers.
    CS:S, like Day of Defeat Source and Team Fortress 2, are completely customizable - the maps hold all the variables, and it is very easy for a server or map designer to completely change the way the game is played. In the end, you get a sloppy mess of customizability that just does not work for me. I will most likely be making enemies with this review, but I don't care. I have been playing this game steadily for over a year now, and I can still stand by that even though I am now considered a 'Professional' and am great at the game, it's still just... Blahh. If you really want to hear my personal opinion, this game sucks.

Game: Counter-Strike: Source [imgr]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3228/css2bb3.png[/imgr]
    Genre: First Person Shooter
    Developer: Valve

• Processor: 2.4 Ghz Processor is my suggestion - Valve says 1.2 Ghz processor minimum, but many custom additions (and CS:S is build on customizability) will require a better processor.
    • Memory:
      • Minimum: 256 mb RAM
      • Recommended: 512 mb RAM
      • Performance: 2gb RAM

• Video:

• Minimum: DirectX 7 level Graphics Card
      • Recommended: DirectX9 level Graphics Card
      • Performance: Radeon X800 or Geforce 6800

• Sound: Any DirectX-compatible sound card
    • Notice: Most of the minimum requirements for running this game only qualify for the shipped content. Much of the customized content in this game is higher resolution and quality, and can put a higher strain on your computer. My personal 'Minimum' suggestion: Recommended. I have the recommended settings, and even I don't get very good FPS on most maps. If you want to play Counter-Strike:Source professionally, go for the Performance settings or you will not be able to score those insane headshots quite as easily.

• The software that CS:S (and other Source games) run on is not compatible with Macintosh systems as of this date.

This game, even though is uses the same Source engine that high end games like Team Fortress Two and Portal use, and even though it has just as high system requirements as those two games, the graphics aren't so fantastic that you jump out of your shorts. Sure, they are good and realistic. But, there are more realistic graphics out there, by a longshot. For example, Team Fortress Two has a very UNIQUE graphics setup - and because of that, it looks a hella lot better than the graphics of CS:S, which is just Counter Strike 1.6 with shiny cars and windows.
    All together, the graphics didn't exactly cut it with me.

More ranting at Counter-Strike Source! Yes, I have more bad stuff to say!
    Counter-Strike Source has sound. If I could, I would leave it there.
    There is absolutely nothing special about the audio in CS:S, except the horrendous voice overs that can give kids nightmares. The only decent thing here, and what saved it from getting it a much, MUCH lower mark, is the same effects that the other Source games do well - the ammo. Every single possible surface and ammo type has it's own unique sound when they make contact. There is hundreds of possibilities, and there is a specific sound for each one.

The exact gameplay of Counter Strike: Source is hard to pin down. Due to the fact that every single variable is customizable, and almost every game has at least one variable customized. There is no console versions either, giving me no 'Standard Ground' for reviewing the gameplay. So, I will go over the REALLY STANDARD basics of Counter-Strike quickly.

The Tools of Destruction.
    [imgr]http://www.pro-hl.com/pro_pics/css_weap_9x19mm_sidearm.jpg[/imgr]
    Counter-Strike Source has a nice, large variety of weapons. While not exactly as balanced nor as polished as some of the other Source games, it still gives it a great personal feel.

There are three grenades, a variety of pistols, some SMGs, rifles, and heavy machine guns. All the usual suspects of a general FPS. You can also purchase things like armor so you can withstand that crucial extra bullet. In the end, it is still very limited and 100% based on skill, but you can at least have the authority over your own weapon.

Exploitation - FPSOwned Style.
    Counter-Strike: Source is widely known as a highly popular FPS title - but what about exploiting it, or perhaps hacking it?
    Check these forums over on FPSOwned for many CS:S exploits, hacks, and other such 'underhanded' techniques.
    I have never personally hacked CS:S, so I would not be one to judge or review, or even guide you on the hacking or exploiting processes. I suggest you head on over to FPSOwned, where the real pros await you!

(Screenshots Resized To Fit Page)

A player equipped with a pistol walks down the alley on 'De_Dust 2'.

The lovely smell of killing in the morning greets the player on 'Cs_Office'.

Lined up perfectly! That enemy is toast as soon as the trigger gets pulled!

Sure, compared to other games on the market, this game still does have a load going for it. However, then you compare it to games such as TF2, Bioshock, COD4, and the other blockbusters and you think - why even bother looking at CS:S? So, in the end, it's your decision whether or not to buy this game, but I personally think you should save your 20$ and purchase some other FPS.
    Result: 'Fanboys Only' Game.

Last edited by KuRIoS; 09-02-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Counter-Strike: Source Review
    Notahax's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    7/24
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very resonable review!
    The Graphics definitly deserve a 7-8
    The Audio sucks and deserves a 6
    I thought the gameplay could of been higher since its very addictive.
    Overall should of been atleast a 7 imo
    -

Sprackle's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gameplay is a 10. Why do you expect that there are lots of professionals playing it, and 20,000 odd servers?:P

olemortenm's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! First HONEST review I've ever seen on CSS.

Everything said here is completely true. There's nothing special about Counter Strike Source. In fact, compared to (like you said) COD4, TF2 and the likes it's actually a game way below par when there is so much better out.

Thanks for a great review!

EDIT: Oh, and yes - CSS does run on mac, through a program called Crossover. It's actually one of the few games this program can run lag free with decent FPS (Nothing big, but you can include it if you want)

EDIT 2: When editing, a "member review" came up. No, I don't think this game is a 1/10. Please ignore that, I can't seem to edit it again.
    Last edited by KuRIoS; 09-02-2008 at 06:30 AM.

~OddBall~'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    4/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.o "It sucks" ? but...but....I love this game!

anyways I suggest people play it themself before judging it, IMO it's a really nice game that's very fun to play.
    https://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/guides/278302-selecting-bot-you.html - SELECTING THE BOT FOR YOU

PHWOOOOAAAAAR - Parog was here. <3 <----Wtf's a Parog?

Chenquie's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first, the screenshots is either googled or taken about a year ago since source don't have that skin on the characters anymore.

The first screenshot is really "Middle on the map de_dust2" not alley on de_dust.

EDIT: If you are not a geek in this game and have played it for some years I really think you should not review it.

Viter's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Review

Fat Spliffs's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't CS:S released in 2004? It came out with HL2.

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/296
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is infact the Alley in de_dust2 ... a small typo and yes someone who has not played the game for ages meaning "not a blind fanboy" is better at doing reviews than one who has.

This review is written out of how you would feel if it was made or came out today. Let's be honest. If the game came out today, with no fanbase stolen from cs1.6 then it would suck tremendously, just like CS : CZ did.

Opirity1's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really like cs1.6 more then cs:s , well good review Hellgawd!

ReidE96's Avatar Archer Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KuRIoS, I feel the need to point out that if it was released today it wouldn't look the same as it does. The graphics are dated through age. Most of the issues raised in the review are due to the game being over FOUR YEARS OLD.

I'd rate this game much higher, and no, I'm not a fanboy. I suck at it.

-The graphics, though a little dated, look pretty damn good for 4 years old.
    -I honestly can't see where someone can find fault with sound, myself o.0 There's no music in the game, which I feel adds an edge of tension. Sound packs, such as Quake Sound Pack, are great, only bad audio are those whiney 12 year olds who can't stand getting killed even though they suck majorly. I'm pretty bad, and I can knife them. Mute is a wonderful tool.
    -Multiplayer is great fun, and if you want a server where it's not all pros just try a few. A friend of mine is seriously good, plays CSS all the time, so I just ask him which servers are the fun ones when I'm going to play XD
    -At just $20, or free if you got HL2 when it came out, this game is a bargain IMO.

*ChAoS*'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that this is a very fair review. In my opinion CS:S doesn't have very much depth at all. Valve has made so many great games, but I just don't like CS:S.

Hellgawd's Avatar Account not activated by Email
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ReidE96 View Post
    KuRIoS, I feel the need to point out that if it was released today it wouldn't look the same as it does. The graphics are dated through age. Most of the issues raised in the review are due to the game being over FOUR YEARS OLD.

I'd rate this game much higher, and no, I'm not a fanboy. I suck at it.

-The graphics, though a little dated, look pretty damn good for 4 years old.
    -I honestly can't see where someone can find fault with sound, myself o.0 There's no music in the game, which I feel adds an edge of tension. Sound packs, such as Quake Sound Pack, are great, only bad audio are those whiney 12 year olds who can't stand getting killed even though they suck majorly. I'm pretty bad, and I can knife them. Mute is a wonderful tool.
    -Multiplayer is great fun, and if you want a server where it's not all pros just try a few. A friend of mine is seriously good, plays CSS all the time, so I just ask him which servers are the fun ones when I'm going to play XD
    -At just $20, or free if you got HL2 when it came out, this game is a bargain IMO.
    I rated the game for what it was shipped with - not extra sound packs, extra maps, ect. That's like reviewing World of Warcraft based on Emulation and Model Editing - an entirely different view.

Verye's Avatar The WoW Lawyer
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give this review a 7/10.

I agree with your rating, though. It'd be better if you went into more detail to how the game could be improved, or rather, what games like TF2 have over it, to help your point, but the basis is still good.
    Link to my guide: https://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-g...rd-policy.html | I'm retired, please don't PM me. Thanks.

ReidE96's Avatar Archer Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Hellgawd View Post
    I rated the game for what it was shipped with - not extra sound packs, extra maps, ect. That's like reviewing World of Warcraft based on Emulation and Model Editing - an entirely different view.
    I didn't give it more for having those. I just mentioned them in passing as nice customisations. I really can't find any reasons to mark something down on audio, unless it sounds crap. Which is hard when you don't have music. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion, and I mine. I think we'll need to agree to differ here (though I think we can agree that TF2 is better )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast