0/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderation suggestion

Well, after the last 24 hours of incredible reposts, and pointless threads, it's kind of apparent that something needs a bit of change.

A few gripes I have (no offense to anyone at all, it's just my view)

1) The forums are incredibly disorganized. (Emu server things are being posted in the Bots n Progs section, scams are being posted... well... everywhere... etc)

2) Posts/threads are just deleted, instead of closed. (This makes it impossible for people to see what should, and shouldn't be posted. There's probably been about 40-50 threads in the Bots n Progs section alone about the stat changer program. Every one has been deleted. So nobody can see that it's a fake, and continues to repost the same thing.)

3) Threads are being deleted instead of moved. (Leave the shadow topic in place so people can see WHERE they're supposed to post things. Instead of just deleting it outright and not leaving that little visual hint that some people still can't quite understand)

4) Not much being done offensively to moderate. (I understand the forums are big, and there aren't very many mods to control it all, but working basically solely off of reports alone seems a bit too laid back IMO.)

Yes, it's a bit of an angry post, but I'm in a bit of an angry mood at the moment.

I'm not saying get rid of all the current mods (except for maybe Kuiren, because he stole my cookies...), but I don't see a whole lot of public moderation being done. I know that there is ALOT of moderation going on behind the scenes that people don't see, so don't take this as a "you don't know what we do" type thing.

I think it would benefit more for moderators/admins to make more of a presence on the boards than just being known as "the person who fixes my reported threads". It won't stop the reposts (everyone can agree) or the constant badgering of the leecher usergroup, but it will make people realize that they DO have to think before they post.

/rant

Moderation suggestion
    Verye's Avatar The WoW Lawyer
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree with you on all 4 of those things, but I don't feel that it's really a major issue. So, someone posts an exploit in the bots section. The site isn't going to implode.

It'd be nice if these were dealt with a bit quicker, but really, I don't care too much about it.
    Link to my guide: https://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-g...rd-policy.html | I'm retired, please don't PM me. Thanks.

Apoc's Avatar Angry Penguin
    Thanks G/R
    0/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Verye View Post
    I'd agree with you on all 4 of those things, but I don't feel that it's really a major issue. So, someone posts an exploit in the bots section. The site isn't going to implode.

It'd be nice if these were dealt with a bit quicker, but really, I don't care too much about it.
    Hence why it's in the suggestions forum. It's not an urgent matter, just a suggestion to try and clean some things up (hopefully)

Dark_Angel's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/5
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most the things you said, but does it really matter that we are just 'people who do reports' to the public? Of course we do more then that, or at least try.
    I do think that moderators should show to be a bit more helpful, I rarely see a moderator actually reply to a help thread (Not saying that its a bad thing, since most of the time it gets answered anyway, just saying it shows more of yourself and the rest of the staff). About the moving/deleting/closing, I really think it should be up to the moderator to decide whether it should be moved or closed or deleted, they did get picked for the job, didn't they? Also, after a thread is closed, it means no one can post on it... So even if they did close a thread to show an example, it will be ancient in a matter of days. (Stickying a thread would work, but that would be a LOT of stickies...) The moving of threads, we normally do this, Or at least I do, but I don't normally leave a trace from the original section, so thats why you don't see many of that. The ones that are deleted isn't really a big deal, because it tells you in your profile that it was deleted and tells you the reason, so then the person will just remake it in the correct section.

Well, thats all I have to say. You made an angry thread, and I made a angry reply >=D.

~Dark_Angel

XMOD- Greenies are disgusting! Corrupt 2d was here~

Dragon[Sky]'s Avatar Anti-social Engineer
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apoc for mawd!
    I think it's a leet idea.
    As much as he doesn't want it. :3

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Apoc's Avatar Angry Penguin
    Thanks G/R
    0/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I agree with most the things you said, but does it really matter that we are just 'people who do reports' to the public? Of course we do more then that, or at least try.
    I do think that moderators should show to be a bit more helpful, I rarely see a moderator actually reply to a help thread (Not saying that its a bad thing, since most of the time it gets answered anyway, just saying it shows more of yourself and the rest of the staff). About the moving/deleting/closing, I really think it should be up to the moderator to decide whether it should be moved or closed or deleted, they did get picked for the job, didn't they? Also, after a thread is closed, it means no one can post on it... So even if they did close a thread to show an example, it will be ancient in a matter of days. (Stickying a thread would work, but that would be a LOT of stickies...) The moving of threads, we normally do this, Or at least I do, but I don't normally leave a trace from the original section, so thats why you don't see many of that. The ones that are deleted isn't really a big deal, because it tells you in your profile that it was deleted and tells you the reason, so then the person will just remake it in the correct section.

Well, thats all I have to say. You made an angry thread, and I made a angry reply >=D.

~Dark_Angel
    Very well said. (Leaving the shadow topic is more to direct people to where that thread 'should' be, since only the thread starter sees the info box in the CP)

And closing instead of deleting threads keeps them in the DB. Which let's that neat little 'auto-search before you start a thread' addition work better. The thread may have been started 20 times before, but not being in the DB means it won't show up. Being closed, it will, and people can refer to that instead of making another re-posted thread that just wastes time being deleted... again.

Leaving other threads publicly visible means that not only the person who started the 'bad' thread sees the problem, but everyone else does as well.

P.S, it doesn't really matter how people see the mods/admins. So long as they know who wields the ban<insert weapon of choice>. I may have used a bad analogy, but I think you understood it none the less.

Originally Posted by Dragon[Sky] View Post
    Apoc for mawd!
    I think it's a leet idea.
    As much as he doesn't want it. :3

KILL IT WITH FIRE
    Bolded the important part.

Ket's Avatar Legendary
    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    600/313
    Trade Feedback
    29 (93%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the constructive feedback on how we can do better. I'll put this in our staff section to kick around. The shadow topic does make sense to as it gives rhyme and reason behind bans/moves/deletions.

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1: disorganized, no... members with IQ lower than a brick who cant post in right sections, Yes.

2: taking your example of stat changer, we even had a sticky "STAT changers do not work, DONT post about them" <- comes back to the IQ of a brick

3. so if the thread is a repost, how the hell would it help to just have more of the threads, meaning closing them instead of deleting them, yes it would be easier to see that it is a repost, but ppl really just dont care m8.

Just look in Suggestions forum, the same 3-4 suggestions OVER and over and over and over and over and over... Eventho no threads in this section are deleted, just closed. Perhaps if closed threads from all other sections than suggestion were moved to a "DEAD PLACE" part of the forum automaticly.

Shadowposts when moving could be a good idea, that is correct. infractions points, we move the thread and say in the thread that it has been moved and user given infractionpoints for it, we can do that, just takes a lot more time than what we do atm.

4: you have no idea what you are talking about Apoc, no offense but a lot of modding is done, besides from Reposts. We delete threads instead of closing them, when in public forums, since closed threads are just annoying to look at. Therefore you might not see it, but believe me, on my screen there are a lot of deleted threads and you dont want them all to be visable on the forums.

ANY /agreed /signed /not signed or whatever in this thread results in 3 infractionpoints, if you post something in suggestions forums, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM or dont post, quite frankly we dont care if 2000 users say /signed, it doesnt mean that we think the suggestion is good, nor does it give it any higher chance of being accepted.
    Last edited by KuRIoS; 08-07-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Eski's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure how many mod's/admin's there are on these forums, but as the number of visitor's increase and the number of threads increase per day, I would say promote more moderators. Or make a rank under Moderator's that are mainly for dealing with cleaning up the forums and make them look better (more organized/dealing with reposts/deleteing flaming threads etc).

Im not sure if my opinion counts, but I know I report a lot of threads (I havn't recently) but I got extremely sick of looking at leechers spam/flame the living day lights out of someone trying to contribute, and I would report them. Somthing being done about that is a different matter. But, Im not sure how many people you guys would even consider promoting, but I believe more moderator's is a plus plus, especially with how big the forums are getting and additions are being added (Diablo 2 section)

In short:

Promote more mods, or create a rank lower then mod's for cleaning up the forums.

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by [Eski] View Post
    I am not sure how many mod's/admin's there are on these forums, but as the number of visitor's increase and the number of threads increase per day, I would say promote more moderators. Or make a rank under Moderator's that are mainly for dealing with cleaning up the forums and make them look better (more organized/dealing with reposts/deleteing flaming threads etc).

Im not sure if my opinion counts, but I know I report a lot of threads (I havn't recently) but I got extremely sick of looking at leechers spam/flame the living day lights out of someone trying to contribute, and I would report them. Somthing being done about that is a different matter. But, Im not sure how many people you guys would even consider promoting, but I believe more moderator's is a plus plus, especially with how big the forums are getting and additions are being added (Diablo 2 section)

In short:

Promote more mods, or create a rank lower then mod's for cleaning up the forums.
    To be honest with you, I havent noticed anyone that I find suitable, but then again i havent thought that we need more, i still dont think so..... Also we started with 3 mods... now we are quite some more, so yes we do increase our numbers...

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think promoting 1 or 2 more "clean up mods" (just for searching the forums a few times a day and looking for off-topic threads/questions in non-question sections/etc. would be a good idea, if you could find some worthy candidates.
    Link to my guide: https://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-g...rd-policy.html | I'm retired, please don't PM me. Thanks.

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Verye View Post
    I think promoting 1 or 2 more "clean up mods" (just for searching the forums a few times a day and looking for off-topic threads/questions in non-question sections/etc. would be a good idea, if you could find some worthy candidates.
    The thing is, we have tried, but it has backfired on last few occasations so we are a bit worried about it again.
    Demonkunga look how that turned out - hailey period and shit like that.
    Edge - turned out to be the biggest liar on mmowned.
    and we have more ppl on that list. There is another option, persuade Dragonsky to become a mod again...

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I understand.

Maybe you should create a sort of application process for those who want to become entry-level mods? They'd have to fill out a lengthy and detailed application, and you could look into their posting/infraction history and pick a good one.

Enfeebleness's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually just report them, then move along. The only real gripe i have is when i try and report a single post. On every occasion I've reported someone spamming (ex: lol (filler) ), it ALWAYS gets the entire thread deleted.

I didn't want to have the entire thread deleted, i just wanted something done about the one (or few) spammer(s). Simply deleting the post (if you even can, i honestly have no idea) would have been nice, not the entire thread.

That's my only real peeve.

2dgreengiant's Avatar ★ Elder ★

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To point out for [Eski] MMOwned - World of Warcraft Exploits, Hacks, Bots and Guides - Show Groups Will tell you who are the current mods etc.
    If you need me you have my skype, if you don't have my skype then you don't need me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast