0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] Warlock / Rogue

So as I was asked in another thread, I decided to write a guide for Rogue/Lock in 2v2 arena.

Personally I ran this comp to gladiator in s3 and s4 (finished 2nd in battlegroup ) and I must say it is incredible fun to play.

It is, of course, a 2 DPS combo, but not as popular as Rogue/Mage is nowadays.

In my opinion it is by far the strongest of the 2 DPS combos and, if played perfectly, doesnt have too much counter-comps.

1. Specs & Gear

1.1 Speccs:

As for speccs I would highly recommend Shadowstep for the rogue and SL/SL for the Lock, altough affliction can be ok also if you play it well.

Rogue: 20/0/41

Warlock: 27/34/0

1.2 Gear:

Rogue:

If your rogue has PvE gear (has to be atleast sunwell niveau to be worth it), you CAN go for it but personally I feel like getting focused more and more often as a rogue recently, so I stick with full arena gear.

The rogue should gem for full DPS (=16 AP or 8 Agility Gems, your choice), for orange sockets I prefer 4AP/8crit but of course you can put in 16AP and loose the socket bonus wich isnt really essential nevertheless.

As meta I use the +24 AP and movement speed increase, but this is really personally favour.

Warlock:

I would recommend going for max health and resilence, since you're going to be focused 90% of the fights.

Stack Stamina gems and use the +18Stamina 5% stun resist meta.

Battlemaster trinket is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! especially against other 2DPS, without it your Lock is just going to drop too quickly.

2. General Information

Rogue/Lock is all about getting an enemy use his trinket and then chain cc'ing him.

Rogue should use Wound/crippling poison, in the upper brackets a second offhand with mind numbing to shiv is really helpfull too.

CC chain mostly looks somewhat like this (it is of course situation variable):

DC-Fear-Fear (most likely a trinket here)-Blind-Sap-Fear-Fear

You see, if you get the enemy use his trinket you have about 30-40 secs CC if done correctly, which is of course enough to kill the cc'd person's partner.
    Last edited by hugmepls; 07-29-2008 at 06:07 AM.

[Guide] Warlock / Rogue
    hugmepls's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. Matchups

vs. Druid/Hunter:

This is written for a MM Hunter because in the upper brackets you wont find any BM Hunter/Healer times.

We generally don't lose against druid / hunters. Dot and run away out of LOS. Drink maybe if he stung you. Rogue locks down hunter allowing you to fear druid. Druid either has to eat a full fear (and more if need be) or trinket and go into a blind / sap. During this time you can kill hunter. Another advantage by going for the hunter is you can feel even safer leaving a felhunter out. Put it on the hunter to eat HOTs. With a rogue lockig him down, you shouldn't take too much damage as the hunter will have to concentrate getting away from the rogue first.

If you feel like killing the Druid, which is more risky because the Hunter may Scatter shot and LOS you which makes you unable to fear him. I would suggest going with a voidwalker because with a felhunter you wil ltake too much damage from the hunter because the rogue is not on top of him.

AND: Always Curse of Weakness the pet. ALWAYS.

vs. Druid/Warrior

There are many different opinions on strats against Druid/Warrior but we like to use this one:
    Me and my rogue start on the warrior, DPSing him but not using any cooldowns or stuns apart from evasion. The rogue gets a 5 point SnD off and when the druid pops, he ShS blinds him. The druid trinkets (most likely), the rogue vanish CS's him, I dot him up, right when CS is about to fade he KS's, right when KS is about to fade I Deathcoil + Spell Lock. During the 2 stuns and the Deathcoil, rogue pops prep, refreshes evasion, and right after the spell lock he vanish CS's again. By the time the last stun wears off the druid should be nearly dead if we manage to lock him down in caster form. I fearspam after the CS to finish him off.

This does work incredible well against Warrior/Druids around ~2,1k rating, if you get higher you have to be really flexible and may consider going for the druid.

vs. Druid/Warlock

I find this matchup easier than Warrior/Druid, but REALLY good Warlock/Druids can be a pain in the ass. This is how we play them:

Have rogue open on opposing lock, have your lock rush in and (pop dmg trinket if you need) and fully dot lock. juke a CS with a fake fear, spellstone outa the silence and CoS/banish pet. deathcoil druid so you can fear him, and start casting fear right after, because he should break it because his lock is taking loads of damage w/o SL. You should hit him with second fear, or atleast notice if druid trinkets, this is when you blind-sap-fear with a CS in there somewhere.
    Lock then just goes down with his druid getting chain cc'd.

vs. Mage/Rogue

If they are alliance, your rogue should prevanish to get a sap on the opposing rogue (with paranoia that shouldnt be a big issue).

The lock starts 1v1ing the Mage and your rogue waits closely nearby you.
    Keep devour magic off auto cast so you can dispell polymorphs on your rogue
    When the rogue opens on the lock, have your rogue jump on him instantly
    Nuke the enemy rogue down as fast as possible.

if the rogue trinkets out of the kidney shot then go for the blind (meaning.. don't start casting dots until stuns are completely gone.. aka searing pain spam

I wouldnt recommend going after the mage, because if you go after the mage.. he can sit in iceblock all day while his rogue just annihilates you and then the game is lost.

vs. Priest/Rogue

This is a really tough fight, if they are undead its pretty much your counter comp.

Get your rogue to sap the priest,
    Fear the Priest IF he has fear ward during sap.
    Make sure your rogue is always beside you, once the rogue jumps you get your rogue to 5point stun the rogue so that you can get a fear on this rogue.
    Get your rogue on priest the whole fight with warlock pet on priest.
    Kite the Rogue with CoEx or fear spams. ITS ALL ABOUT TRINKETS. once the rogue has used his trinket get your rogue to blind the other rogue while you bandage. re sap rogue if u can.
    Priest should still be in combat since you have your pet on him both you and your rogue got to town on this priest, when fear DR is back up re fear the rogue CoEx kite again.
    Priest should be dead.

REMEMBER. its all about those trinkets BUT if you happen to get the jump on that rogue and a sap on the priest just DPS rogue down cc priest. trinket blind sap DR fear re fear etc..

hugmepls's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vs. Shadowpriest/Rogue

Many wl/rogue teams like to go for the Shadowpriest and cc the rogue, personally I think
    ccing the rogue is not viable at all. all this team has for cc is fear, other than 1 blind, which you wont be able to use unless rogue trinkets, which will proly be hard against good priests cause of DISPEL.
    Start with a sap on the rogue if you can, and open up very fast on him with CS, and chain with KS. lock starts with immo and then the rest of his dots. the more dots on the rogue, the sooner he will CloS, and the sooner you can reapply them. rupture is a must to have up, so you can chase a rogue down after a clos/vanish, and possibly sprint to get away.

the lock better have his spellstone equiped, caue it is SOOOOO useful vs spriest. save it for silence, cause it will proly remove about 3-4 dots anyways with it. try and burn fearward off spriest early if its on him. use deathcoil at a proper time: if priest is undead, you can use it during wotf if rogue is going down, if rogue has a KS on lock, a trinket deathcoil will help to get a fear on priest.

________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________

vs. Warlock/Priest

This is a really difficult fight. It is difficult because unless you play rogue lock with the lock as UA, any good priest will just be spam dispelling dots and for the most part mitigating the warlock's damage. Our usual strat is to get a sap off on the warlock, and open on priest. The enemy Warlock will be controlling your warlock with tongues / fears however you do not want your pet actually attacking him because of PoM bouncing.

Sap the Priest and get on the Warlock ASAP, IF the Priest hast fearward up, fear him once while he is in sap to remove it.
    when sap is about to wear of, fear him again and afterwards blind -> sap him.
    If the warlock isnt dead by this time, the game is lost.

________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________

vs. Shaman/Warrior

use
    /petattack [target=Healing Stream Totem]
    /petattack [target=Windfury Totem]
    /petattack [target=Mana]
    /petattack [target=Tremor Totem]
    /petattack [target=Grounding Totem]

to get rid of the totems!

Dot up the warrior forcing the shaman to get out and heal the warrior.
    Who will be at like 80% try to sap when the shaman gets out of ghost wolf, then full dps the warrior cot and fear the shaman silence him if he uses his NS try to remove it with your pet.
    Most annoying thing here are grounding totems, use the makro above to destroy them before fearing !

________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________

I apologize for my poor english

If there are any Questions and Requests for other Matchups, feel free to post in this Thread.

greetings,
    hugmepls
    Last edited by hugmepls; 07-29-2008 at 06:08 AM.