210/462
    Trade Feedback
    247 (100%)
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

[Guide] Protecting Yourself From PayPal Chargebacks As A Seller

PayPal purchase protection changes (Updated 1/01/2017)

PayPal now provides purchase protection for buyers on intangible & virtual goods and services. This means that sellers are now required to provide "compelling" evidence showing that the service or virtual item was delivered. If you do not provide any proof then PayPal will almost always rule the case in the buyer's favor.

Proof of delivery examples:

1) Transaction details / receipt
    2) In-game screenshots of the trade
    3) E-mails between the buyer and seller
    4) Screenshots of the character you've boosted

I am reposting this guide I wrote a while ago in the contributor section in hopes to help others due to the huge amount of scams occurring when selling WoW gold / accounts or any other game related services.

This guide strictly concerns [SELLERS] who use PayPal to accept payments.

The misconception many sellers seem to have is that they simply have no protection when receiving money through PayPal.

This is ONLY true if the buyer sends you the money as gift (although possible but extremely hard to win disputes).

However, the majority of sellers don't really understand the [REQUEST MONEY] option or don't think there is a difference between having the buyer send you money or sending a money request to the buyer and then have him pay it.

Well there is a huge difference between both options.

Case #1: Buyer sends you money

When the [BUYER] sends you money, you as a seller have no protection at all. Meaning the buyer can simply file a dispute after purchasing something from you and he is guaranteed to win the dispute and claim his money back simply because you have no protection if you are selling an intangible good / service.

Case #2: You send a money request to the buyer

When the [SELLER] sends a money request to the buyer and then the buyer pays it, it shifts the protection around. The seller has full protection while the buyer has no protection at all. And on top of that, you are able to see the buyer's registered address on his PayPal and various other useful information to make sure you are not dealing with a scammer.

How to send a money request

1. Log in your PayPal and click on [SEND & REQUEST] https://i.imgur.com/f1WHPRO.png

2. Then click on [REQUEST MONEY]
    https://i.imgur.com/lFJlZCa.png

3. Now you need to put the buyer's PayPal email (ask the buyer for his PayPal email) and put in the amount of money requested
    https://i.imgur.com/WToaCjH.png

4. Finally click on [REQUEST MONEY]. It's not necessary to write any note
    https://i.imgur.com/K8vNuNg.png

This takes less than a minute to complete, once this is done - you simply tell the buyer to check his PayPal account. The money request will appear in the summary page of his PayPal account.

Does this really protect me as a seller?

It does in 95% of cases. The only way you will lose a dispute is ONLY if the buyer used a Credit Card to make the payment and then initiates a chargeback in which case you are guaranteed to lose the dispute. In fact, you can't protect yourself against disputes made through a Credit Card, you are guaranteed to lose those regardless of which method you use.

I have personally used this method for almost 4 years now and all disputes were ruled in my favor within 10 minutes after being filed.

I have only lost 2 disputes in the last 4 years and those chargebacks were filed through a Credit Card company.

I used your method and the buyer filed a dispute, now what?

Stay calm! Don't panick, you need to keep in mind that the probability of the dispute being ruled in your favor is huge. It isn't common to see people use Credit Cards, at least in my case (almost 4 years) it wasn't unless you are selling services through a website.

1. Log into your PayPal account and reply to the dispute. Write something along the lines of (The "item" sold to the buyer was an intantible service that I delivered).

2. Call PayPal ! I can't stress enough about this. Do NOT wait for PayPal to answer the dispute as that will take days and up to a week. Instead, call PayPal and tell them you want to resolve the dispute on your account and explain that you sold an intangible online service.

3. If the PayPal agent tells you to just wait for their response within the next few days, just end the call nicely and call again. You might have to talk to 2-3 agents before they resolve your dispute.

Why do people always want money sent to them as gift?

It's really just a misconception that sellers have. They believe if money is sent as gift then it can't be disputed which is entirely wrong.

Keep in mind, there's a fee of 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. But it's often if not always better than getting scammed because of your greed.

Good luck!
    Last edited by D3Boost; 10-07-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    βœ… CONTACT DETAILS βœ…

βœ… DISCORD: D3Boost#2193 βœ… SKYPE: d3pleveling βœ…

[Guide] Protecting Yourself From PayPal Chargebacks As A Seller
  2. Thanks AhriTheFox, KrespoG, hackerlol, ProfessionalHedy, IGG, Dartexx, Eryx, Ket, Parog, Kenneth, xxspokiixx, Vcertno, Laykith, Cosmos4141, roeebs, The-gamerD, M8rate, ~Z~, mpslayer (19 members gave Thanks to D3Boost for this useful post)
    AhriTheFox's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    7/14
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent guide, it should get marked as "Sticky" at MMO Trading - General Trade Talk

What is your opinion about Skrill?
    As far as I know they favor the sellers when chargebacks happen.
    Last edited by AhriTheFox; 05-23-2016 at 04:43 PM.

4. Thanks D3Boost (1 members gave Thanks to AhriTheFox for this useful post)
    D3Boost's Avatar πŸ”₯ www.D3Boost.com πŸ”₯ PROFESSIONAL BOOSTING SERVICES

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    210/462
    Trade Feedback
    247 (100%)
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Lovely Eu View Post
    Excellent guide, it should get marked as "Sticky" at World of Warcraft Buy Sell Trade Forum

What is your opinion about Skrill?
    As far as I know they favor the sellers when chargebacks happen.
    Skrill is good because they accept proofs for intangible goods / services such as selling accounts, in-game currency, etc..

The only downside of Skrill is that the amount of people who use it is very limited from what I have noticed.

And PayPal only considers a proof if it's related to a shipping / tracking number.
    βœ… CONTACT DETAILS βœ…

6. Thanks ProfessionalHedy (1 members gave Thanks to D3Boost for this useful post)
    KrespoG's Avatar Contributor
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    24/58
    Trade Feedback
    27 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the guide, might use this method in future.

matisyahu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    11/35
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more misconception : the chance to lose the dispute is not only if a credit card was used : a person can use a vpn/socks while using his own pc or phone to pay using his paypal balance and then the unauthorised access dispute will still hold and the seller will lose

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

Thanks G/R
    265/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does this compare to creating an invoice and sending it to them?

Thanks G/R
    210/462
    Trade Feedback
    247 (100%)
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by matisyahu View Post
    one more misconception : the chance to lose the dispute is not only if a credit card was used : a person can use a vpn/socks while using his own pc or phone to pay using his paypal balance and then the unauthorised access dispute will still hold and the seller will lose
    It's very hard to pull off a vpn unauthorized transaction claim if as a seller you know what you're doing. We have done well over 3,000 transactions through PayPal to date and that was never an issue. The only ones we lost so far were disputes through a Credit Card company. Not saying it's impossible, just extremely hard.

Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    How does this compare to creating an invoice and sending it to them?
    Creating invoices is similar to sending money requests. The only difference is that you can put additional details inside an invoice which you can't when requesting money.
    βœ… CONTACT DETAILS βœ…

11. Thanks ProfessionalHedy (1 members gave Thanks to D3Boost for this useful post)
    markons's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/40
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the reason why I used PayPal accounts created using VCCs. Create one, use it, withdraw money, scrap that account... sadly they removed plastic CC from the service but it was amazing while it lasted.....

But anyway, nice guide.

matisyahu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    11/35
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by D3Pleveling View Post
    It's very hard to pull off a vpn unauthorized transaction claim if as a seller you know what you're doing. We have done well over 3,000 transactions through PayPal to date and that was never an issue. The only ones we lost so far were disputes through a Credit Card company. Not saying it's impossible, just extremely hard.
    paypal's "awesome" security system kinda whitelists a computer or a device even if its a different ip address/location. had to discover it by coincidence when i paid some guild for a boost when i was connected to a work vpn in the other side of the world and then when that guild didnt hold their side of the deal i figured ill try an unauthorised access claim (dick move i know) and i won with paypal saying they found evidence to support the claim it wasnt me who initiated the payment.
    all in all ye it might not be so common but only because not many scammers have the technical knowlege to make the perfect vpn i guess

p.s : dont take my words as if im underestimating your guide , to the contrary its very helpfull and educating for those starting up with paypal

Parog's Avatar Kitsune Da-O! M.L.G. CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    540/266
    Trade Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to General Trade talk and stickied.
    Last edited by Parog; 03-01-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    What's a Parog?
    Looking for competitive Valorant team!

MistiServices's Avatar Contributor Top Quality - Low Price !
    Thanks G/R
    79/78
    Trade Feedback
    347 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few weeks ago i had 2 disputes on paypal,one was typical pp dispute and one was bank chargeback.Sadly i lose on bank chargeback,thats out of paypal controll.But typical pp dispute , on that one i won.I used invoice method,and proofs i gave to paypal was only skype chat , tho i asked customer for his email for invoice and i asked him to paste me on skype transaction ID.After i gave him nostalrius account , he confirmed me on skype chat that everything is ok with account.I dont know much how pp resolve disputes or which kind of proofs they take but i got my money back with skype chat screenshoots.

Thanks G/R
    210/462
    Trade Feedback
    247 (100%)
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by sylvanaseu View Post
    Few weeks ago i had 2 disputes on paypal,one was typical pp dispute and one was bank chargeback.Sadly i lose on bank chargeback,thats out of paypal controll.But typical pp dispute , on that one i won.I used invoice method,and proofs i gave to paypal was only skype chat , tho i asked customer for his email for invoice and i asked him to paste me on skype transaction ID.After i gave him nostalrius account , he confirmed me on skype chat that everything is ok with account.I dont know much how pp resolve disputes or which kind of proofs they take but i got my money back with skype chat screenshoots.
    Glad this guide helped you out.

For charge backs through Credit Card companies, PayPal will always side with the buyer. Although they will do exceptions to PayPal members who have a very high amount of transactions and to those who have been dealing with PayPal for many years.

Earlier this month, a buyer filed a charge back through his Credit Card company for two transactions that we did 3 months ago. I called PayPal and they said they would do an exception for my case because I have been with them for over 10 years (they ruled the case in the buyer's favor but refunded me both transactions).
    βœ… CONTACT DETAILS βœ…

MistiServices's Avatar Contributor Top Quality - Low Price !
    Thanks G/R
    79/78
    Trade Feedback
    347 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and... PayPal Purchase Protection is now being extended to intangible or virtual items and services.

atoj's Avatar Corporal
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    17 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long anyone can chargeback since do a payment ? I read 180 days but read also it can be more

Thanks G/R
    210/462
    Trade Feedback
    247 (100%)
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by atoj View Post
    How long anyone can chargeback since do a payment ? I read 180 days but read also it can be more
    With Credit Card, I think it can be longer than the 180 day time frame.
    βœ… CONTACT DETAILS βœ…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast