49/57
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bots and How They Affect You

If you're unfamiliar with what a bot is in World of Warcraft, you should take a moment in game to observe players and their actions. Bots can do a wide variety of things, including gathering herbs and ore, participating in Battle Grounds, and even running instances. Many realm's economies are reliant on the players that choose to bot, and it's very likely, in fact almost guaranteed, that at some point in time every World of Warcraft player who's purchased any end-game material such as herbs or ore, has in fact made a transaction with a bot that collected the items.

With the recent closure of the popular World of Warcraft Pirox Bot on January 25th, the effect that bots have in the World of Warcraft are becoming more and more evident. Before the bot officially closed, prices of many materials began rising. Now that one of the major bots on the market is no longer operational, it's very obvious that, although many players may hate botters, the bots certainly help maintain an economy with reasonable prices, and a well-stocked supply of materials to craft with.

While Blizzard continues the legal battles against bots by filing lawsuits on two more popular World of Warcraft bots, HonorBuddy and PocketGnome, one can only wonder what will happen to the economies maintained on the World of Warcraft servers; It's already easy to see that, even with these two bots still operating, there is more demand than supply on many realms, and if PocketGnome and HonorBuddy are ordered to shut down, the results could prove to be truly devastating, especially on highly populated realms. Imagine having to pay 400g for a flask, or 1500g for each Inferno Ruby.

Bots are becoming more and more intelligent and as a result it is becoming increasingly harder to spot a botter in a Battle Ground; even as the bots currently stand, it's not unlikely for a bot to out-perform many other players in the Battle Ground. While many players find it unfair that a person (who is likely tabbed out, sleeping, or even at work) is obtaining the same amount of honor that an actual player is working hard for, the benefits of botting are endless, and many people are simply tired of battling in the same Warsong Gulch they have been playing for roughly 7 years, or do not want to go through the agony of earning the honor needed on a secondary character (or alt, as World of Warcraft players call them), or they simply don't have the time to do these things on their own.

A quick YouTube search can prove that Battle Ground bots can indeed be manipulated to take them off of the "Route" that they are running on, but a question few people ask tends to be "Is `controlling` a botting character worth doing?" By ensuring that a bot runs off track and gets stuck, you're also wasting valuable time to contribute to your Battle Ground group, and the bot will eventually find itself back on track, be it through many bots anti-stuck features, or by another player killing them.

Players may report bots in an attempt to reduce the amount of bots running around, but many popular bots are undetectable by Blizzard, and it can be hard to prove that someone is a bot, and even harder for Blizzard Game Masters to determine whether they are worthy of a ban, or just a completely antisocial player; While being reported is the usual reason behind someone being banned for botting, many bots have aided you in combat in a Battle Ground, beat you to a mining node, or simply flown over-head while you were questing without you ever even noticing that a human isn't actually playing that character.

Love them or hate them, bots play a heavy role in keeping the World of Warcraft market stable and stocked, and can sometimes prove to actually be more help than a nuisance in PVP. They keep your prices low, and create a steady flow of items every end-game player constantly needs.

Happy botting ,
    -Relican
    Last edited by Relican; 06-24-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Bots and How They Affect You
    TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bots affect players in many ways:

1: people to damn lazy to farm mats themselves cause prices on herbs to drop, cutting a source of income out from under a "legitimate" player.

2: People to damn lazy to BG for honor put strain on there team, slowing everyone's honor and experience (if not capped) down, and making the experience overall less fun.

3: People to damn lazy to play the auction house have bots set up to automatically undercut everyone constantly so other players have to sell lower to compete, lowering everyone's income.

4: bots spam us to buy gold to compensate for 1 and 3, which increases spam and clutter in game, as well as increasing the market for stolen gold from hacked accounts, again reducing fun.

so, in closing, botters are nothing but a negative impact on this game.

Just my 2 cents and personal opinion.

(inb4 "WHY ARE YOU ON THIS SITE NOOB": Exploration and Exploits sections kthnxbi)
    Last edited by TehVoyager; 02-08-2012 at 03:13 PM.

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The economy would be ideal if bots never existed in the first place.

In the same way interest rates are used to influence inflation within the real world; game mechanics and drop rates (etc) would be able to be adjusted in real time, without even requiring a server restart. This could be used to solve any economy problems that approach.

However with sudden bots disappearing, it causes a sudden increase in demand with very little of the original supply, leading to high demand-pull inflation. Thus this situation would never have occurred if bots did not exist. And blizzard can still remove bots, and have a ideal world through adjusting the mechanics as required.

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    267/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TehVoyager View Post
    Bots affect players in many ways:

1: people to damn lazy to farm mats themselves cause prices on herbs to drop, cutting a source of income out from under a "legitimate" player.
    It also make it easier for a legitimate player to make money through professions. Even without bots the prices would raise a little but then so would the prices of the things that are crafted by them, so the value of gold would stay the same. You have a bigger number of gold from farming, but things also cost a bigger number of gold, making the value of gold change little, and making gold through manual farming just as hard, although you wont have as much competition, I will give you that.

2: People to damn lazy to BG for honor put strain on there team, slowing everyone's honor and experience (if not capped) down, and making the experience overall less fun.
    I somewhat agree with this. Most bots in bgs that are dpsing are very bad and do low damage and don't do much. However if I bot on my hunter with full pvp gear he normally captures a few bases and is within the top three damage. Bots that are healers also regularly outperform non bot healers, as they can react quickly, however they may not be healing the right person at the right time. So in my opinion if you are going to bot battle grounds at least spend some time buying basic gear off the auction house, or manually farming a bit and then making sure you have a good cc and plugins. The difference between a good bot and a bad bot can make all the difference, many times a good bot is better to have than a bad player.

3: People to damn lazy to play the auction house have bots set up to automatically undercut everyone constantly so other players have to sell lower to compete, lowering everyone's income.
    This point I definitely agree with, auction house bots are the bane of every money maker's existence, unless of course you break them for profit.

4: bots spam us to buy gold to compensate for 1 and 3, which increases spam and clutter in game, as well as increasing the market for stolen gold from hacked accounts, again reducing fun.
    Yeah, but those are not the same bots that most people use. Gold spamming is very annoying, however of course most of the gold isn't stolen from accounts, considering how easy it is to write a ticket and get all the gold back.

so, in closing, botters are nothing but a negative impact on this game.
    I don't really agree with that, they do have some positive effects, I tend to think of the bots as the over sea workers in terms of the American economy. The bots farm and do all the manual labor, while it's up to the legit players to turn those mats into something useful and come up with new ideas on how to make a lot of profit.

Just my 2 cents and personal opinion.

(inb4 "WHY ARE YOU ON THIS SITE NOOB": Exploration and Exploits sections kthnxbi)
    Mine as well :P

Relican's Avatar Elite User Creepy in a good way CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    49/57
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    auction house bots are the bane of every money maker's existence, unless of course you break them for profit.
    I left auction house bots out of the article essentially for that reason, and because I don't see nearly as many Auction House bots as I do gathering bots and Battle Ground bots. I mentioned in this thread (Abuse Auction House Botters) that it can be very profitable, and funny, to "mess" with Auction House bots. I've found it can be very easy to manipulate an Auction House bot for your own gain, it just involves a bit of work.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

Nyarly's Avatar ★ Elder ★ Lorekeeper of Exploration
    Thanks G/R
    367/314
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the article
    I don't know really much about bot, i would like to try it but i'm a paranoiac and i'm already doing explorations on my account and sharing it so i don't want to make any more suspicions.

But i never report bot for the same reason i don't do it for names against the rules on rp server and multiboxing, we are all player and so we can all play the game the way we like. I would be sad if all botters get banned. Some could argue that without bots people will actually farm more because there would be more money to make but you can easily make thousands of gold by farming a little and you don't need it that much so it's fair for anyone the way it is. Non farmers can still play without having the pain to gather ressources when they have a little amount of time to play.

They are awesome guides here on ownedcore on about to beat a bot with simple addons and some basic rules. If you can beat bots by their own rules why should they be treated like something bad ?
    My 2 cents
    Last edited by Nyarly; 02-09-2012 at 07:08 AM.

WizardTrokair's Avatar <Walks Through Walls>
    Thanks G/R
    192/148
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article! Really enjoyed this, +3 rep for sharing it with us.

Originally Posted by Relican View Post
    With the recent closure of the popular World of Warcraft Pirox Bot on January 25th, the effect that bots have in the World of Warcraft are becoming more and more evident. Before the bot officially closed, prices of many materials began rising. ... It's already easy to see that, even with these two bots still operating, there is more demand than supply on many realms, and if PocketGnome and HonorBuddy are ordered to shut down, the results could prove to be truly devastating, especially on highly populated realms. Imagine having to pay 400g for a flask, or 1500g for each Inferno Ruby.Relican
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    However with sudden bots disappearing, it causes a sudden increase in demand with very little of the original supply, leading to high demand-pull inflation.
    On the points above... I would just like to add the obvious....

With bots shutting down, it offers a huge financial opportunity to sellers that want to put in a little work and effort. Find those items that you're into selling and start FARMING THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. As you said, imagine PAYING 400g for a flask or 1500g for an Inferno Ruby? Hell... I imagine SELLING them for that.

Relican's Avatar Elite User Creepy in a good way CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    49/57
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by WizardTrokair View Post
    With bots shutting down, it offers a huge financial opportunity to sellers that want to put in a little work and effort. Find those items that you're into selling and start FARMING THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. As you said, imagine PAYING 400g for a flask or 1500g for an Inferno Ruby? Hell... I imagine SELLING them for that.
    I completely agree. As I posted on the PocketGnome forum when they announced the lawsuit:
    Needless to say, I'm stockpiling like someone preparing for nuclear disaster at the moment.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks G/R
    267/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by WizardTrokair View Post
    Great article! Really enjoyed this, +3 rep for sharing it with us.

On the points above... I would just like to add the obvious....

In my opinion I don't really think that if bots went down that prices would have a sudden increase. Most botters stock pile at least some of their goods, so even after bots went down they would still be selling off the rest of their stock. Then comes the manual farmers, seeing auction house prices haven't changed, they also post their stock but at same price, and circle continues.

However I'm sure eventually the prices would go up, maybe even my the botters themselves increasing them to get their last bit of gold.

systematiclol's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "They keep your prices low" -Relican
    1 Sided view of the situation mate
    They also keep the price you can get for what you farm yourself low.
    Hence reduceing the actualy gold can make if you dont bot

Thanks G/R
    267/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by systematiclol View Post
    "They keep your prices low" -Relican
    1 Sided view of the situation mate
    They also keep the price you can get for what you farm yourself low.
    Hence reduceing the actualy gold can make if you dont bot
    Farming is not a job for the legit player! Just like here in US factory jobs are going away, bots will do the farming then you do the crafting, I like it best this way, but then again if you like to farm and not deal with spreadsheets ect then I guess you would hate bots.