0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking Lessons for Horror Video Game Design from Real Life

If you've never played titles like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you're missing out on one of the best gaming experiences in the last decade. I'm a huge fan of horror-themed video games, but I've only found very few that have scared the pants off me. While fear is triggered differently for each individual, I get scared with a lot of atmospheric buildup and suspense. I wouldn't mind if the protagonist never laid eyes on the "monster" haunting the halls of the building, and this is highly-effective, as it allows each individual to interpret the distant threat different than others and juxtapose our own greatest fears onto the situation.

The above video is one in a series of fantastic YouTube videos from the "Lost and Abandoned" online show from SmashTV Canada. The series features a party of urban explorers who break and enter into abandoned factories, mental hospitals, and abandoned mines, braving these locations in the dead of night. It's real life horror, and this asylum episode is by far the scariest of them all. I'd also like to mention that these guys don't get enough views, so throw some their way and subscribe to the channel.

What can we learn from these videos about horror video game design? It certainly teaches us that we can deviate from the traditional model where gore is splattered all over the ruins of an abandoned building. The scariness in this asylum is much more subtle, and the video showcases small pieces of history like old broadcast systems, informational books, and clogged sinks and tubs. It allows the viewer to draw their own conclusions about what may have happened in that environment, and that only magnifies the scariness.

To our loyal readers, what scares you the most in horror video games? Do you think that it's much scarier to wander through an abandoned building with only a flashlight and your wits, or do you prefer to bravely face monsters head-on with a weapon in hand?
    Leecher -> Active -> News Team -> Contrib -> News Team Leader -> Moderator -> Former Mod
    Proud Ownedcore Member 2007-2012

Taking Lessons for Horror Video Game Design from Real Life
    Wetop's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    15/22
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's WAY scarier to play games like Amnesia where you have no real means to fight the enemy... Games where they give you weapons to shoot the monsters with instantly lose a few levels of scariness, or i haven't played the right horror-shooters.

Jeremiah's Avatar Former Mod
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you on that one. I'd prefer to have very few options to defend myself.
    Leecher -> Active -> News Team -> Contrib -> News Team Leader -> Moderator -> Former Mod

ev1's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched the entire thing, as well as i will be watching the rest of the videos. Very intrigued by this kind of footage, thanks for bringing it to my attention

Jeremiah's Avatar Former Mod
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're amazing videos.

Maccer's Avatar gay secks CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    40/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ****, It scared the shit out of me on 10:18.

This seems cool, I may watch some other videos from these guys...
    Leecher --> Member --> Contributor --> Elite --> News Team --> Elite --> Legendary --> Lurkin'

Dr. Doom's Avatar Elite User

Thanks G/R
    4/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already commented on the front page, but I gotta say.. I have watched about another 5 of these. They're pretty fun to watch, they may say some unfactual stuff, but just like anyone who blindly explores a place, we'd probably say the same crap :P

Thanks for showing us this Aphel <3

Worsnop's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed the video. But games that scare me the most are the ones with the shadows that you see in the corner of your eye (err camera/tv?) and when you go to look there is nothing there, or every once in a while a figure just standing.