1063/788
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OwnedCore Report #71 - City of Heroes is alive! >Sponsored by MMOGOLD4USA<

Do you like superheroes? Do you want them in your video games? Well this is the best week of your life if so. In the 71st OC Report we uncover the whole story and drama of the City of Heroes rebirth. From the leaks, to the recovery, and even instructions on how to get your hands on the new public servers for every City of Hero fan to play on. On top of this Fortnite is hinting as some really cool hero news as well.

Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates to OC, sharing our hottest threads, and great memes.

This OwnedCore Report is Sponsored by

MMOGOLD4USA is a company for MMORPGs virtual items and assets which provides players with fast transactions,
    superb customer service and transaction security. Founded in 2012 by a group of Americans, we provide cheap and fast service
    for Path of Exile, Maplestory 2, World of Warcraft, Runescape, ESO, SWTOR, STO, Neverwinter, Blade & Soul, FF14 and many other MMORPGs.

MMOGOLD4USA Deals

This week MMOGOLD4USA is offering a special sale on Path of Exile. Just use the code OWNEDCOREPOE15 at checkout to get yourself 15% off on all Path of Exile purchases.

Gaming News from Around the Globe

City of Heroes is back

City of Heroes was an MMO that was ahead of its time. Do you want to be the Villain or the Hero? A similar choice as Horde or Alliance in WoW. Sadly for the fans of this game the servers have been down permanently for years and any time talks of private servers came up they were quickly shut down on how impossible it was and to let it go. That was until Destroyer Stroyer, a Youtuber, leaked what will go down in City of Heroes history as the leak that saved the game forever.

It turns out that for 6 years there has been a secret City of Heroes private server quietly running this whole time. On top of this it ran using original game data which allowed people to obtain lost heroes from the real City of Heroes they used to play. Sadly Destroyer Stroyer’s videos are not up anymore but I can summarize what was in them for you.

The secret server was called SCORE and existed before the real game was shut down. SCORE had a population of around 3,000 players. These players were close friends and family of the developers of the server and from there it became friends of friends and so on. It was very tight knit but at the same time populated enough to do all the content including raids. The reason Destroyer Stroyer decided it was time to leak the server he had been playing on? Because everyday he saw people on the City of Heroes subreddit asking about private servers and just hoping they might find new information on it. Instead they were constantly shut down by the mods, posts were deleted, and basically asking about private servers was blacklisted with mods saying things like “it’s impossible give it a rest”. But it was possible and the mods knew it which got Destroyer Stroyer angry enough to leak the whole project.

Now let’s introduce Leandro Pardini who is basically the creator of SCORE. Leandro was under fire because Destroyer Stroyer mentioned he has access to home addresses, payment details, and more because of the game data he ran the server off of. Destroyer even speculates that a Paragon Studios dev was the one who released the source code that the SCORE team uses. Leandro denies that they have this kind of personal information but that they could get back old characters with everything included except the reputation stuff. Leandro was also accused of being a mod of the subreddit named LeandroCOH and LeandroBTTF but he denies those mods were him.

All of this caused an outrage and Leandro decided to give in. Leandro decided to release the code but had to recruit people to scrub it of any identifiers that could fingerprint the developer that leaked the code in the first place. According to Leandro on Discord, he wants to pass the whole thing on to somebody else. Arena apparently never worked as the code was too messed up even for him. Also the clients require more horsepower than a WoW server and is “more spaghetti to setup” - Leandro. This meant it would need more capital to setup servers and somebody with the knowledge to get it setup on top of that. At one point there was even a Google Document leaked that was a draft of a presentation that the developers leaked to Leandro of a pitch they were doing in 2009 telling NCSoft to fund City of Heroes 2 because they knew superhero movies were going to take off. Boy were they right. (Sadly this draft was taken down)
    Fast forward only a couple hours and Leandro torrented the files over to another guy who said he could scrub it and eventually finished. After finishing a source code via mega.co.nz along with things needed to create binaries to start and run it was live. Leonardo at this time was still just casually talking in the Discord and said somebody was repeatedly asking him over the past few years not to release the code because he has been trying to acquire the game license or something. This guy was under the gamertag Simburgur. He ended up coming out of the woodwork on Discord during all this commotion asking Leandro not to release the code but Leandro said he has had enough of him.

At this point the vibe in the Discord has gone fully from hating Leandro for keeping this project secret from the community and gatekeeping to loving him and realizing he is the only shot anybody who wants City of Heroes back has. Leandro also talks about what each server would need to function and described this as the bare minimum.

• Two physical servers, one for the database server which is the "control center", one for the mapservers to spawn. The database server doesn't need a lot of resources; the mapserver ones do. I'd go into detail, but brain kinda destroyed.

• Can't be VM servers unless you want to face endless headaches with the server. It was built with the assumption that it'd run on bare metal, and at least in my experience back in 2012/2013, it just won't behave on VMs. This may have changed since VMs are extremely more powerful right now, but I never had the hardware to test that. If you choose to go with VMs, it's at your own risk.

• Windows Server 2008 or later for each server. MS SQL Server 2008 Enterprise or later in the main dbs"

This was estimated to cost about $70 a month USD to host but those people could be totally wrong it’s just what I saw in the Discord.

Within days of Destroyer Stroyer’s leaks the City of Heroes subreddit tripled in subs and is growing, the Discord is packed, and there was major moves being made to get a server up for the public and at the end of the day they were successful. On April 20th they got a working server up for all to use and right now it has about 3,000 people on it. How to get on this server? There are a ton of guides online but my friend who is on it gave me what seems to be a easier way.

Step 1: Download the Tequila Client into your My Documents or Desktop folder. It will NOT work in Program Files Directory.

Link for client is here

This is the patcher and installer they are using to update the game files and configurations.

After you’ve installed Tequilla, it will start downloading all of the game files, it’s something like 4gb. This may take some time.

While it is installing you can go to https://score.savecoh.com/

Create an account here

After creating an account you will find

This is an unstyled page, put in your username and password combo that you would like to use.

After finishing that you can hit play (Make sure SCORE in the top left is highlighted) on the Tequila client.

This is only the beginning. The servers are not perfect but they work.

I don’t think many people saw this coming. 2019 is the year that City of Heroes was brought back to the community who so long wanted to play it again. Imagine if there were never Vanilla WoW private servers how much people would miss it. Thanks to Destroyer Stroyer and his gigantic leak all of these people can now once again play the game they love.

Fortnite is teaming with Marvel part 2

Speaking of heroes. The Thanos event was about a year ago which was one of the coolest in game events to ever hit Fortnite but also was a great collab between a game and gigantic company like Marvel. Fortnite seems to be bringing this partnership back with a tweet . On April 25th to May 5th a new Marvel inspired event will be in Fortnite. This time it looks Captain America themed since the picture does include his shield. "Whatever it takes" is the theme. The real question that seems to be on a lot of the communities mind is will there be Avengers cosmetics? We did have John Wick but that wasn't really a partnership but rather a knockoff. One can only hope that we can play the game as our favorite superheroes!

Clips of the Week

When the store manager gives out free champagne but doesn't want to miss out

When a stream sniper shows you he sniped you

GTA V RP is insane

IDK what to think anymore

Underground Japanese culture? IDK

GTA V RP No Pixel server trailer

OwnedCore Report #71 - City of Heroes is alive! &gt;Sponsored by MMOGOLD4USA&lt;
  2. Thanks hackerlol, Smitten (2 members gave Thanks to Kenneth for this useful post)
    Kenneth's Avatar ★ Elder ★ WTB XRP Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1063/788
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Dreams

EDIT: False alarm, its back
    Last edited by Kenneth; 04-22-2019 at 05:01 PM.

hackerlol's Avatar Admin(kind of) ShoutBox Dweller
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1190/297
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This mmo private server story is one of the nicest reads I've had in recent times kendoll... just plain warms my heart.
    How some people love a game so much that they find ways to play it long after it's gone.

Aaah memories of WoWScape...

5. Thanks Kenneth (1 members gave Thanks to hackerlol for this useful post)
    Kenneth's Avatar ★ Elder ★ WTB XRP Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1063/788
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by hackerlol View Post
    This mmo private server story is one of the nicest reads I've had in recent times kendoll... just plain warms my heart.
    How some people love a game so much that they find ways to play it long after it's gone.

Aaah memories of WoWScape...
    thanks friend

It was such a unique thing to follow over the last week that I felt it was worth sharing. Some friends of mine have been wishing for CoH to come back for years, it was their Classic WoW in a sense. And turns out there's a ton of people like them.

officially4h's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds amazing.
    Try this amazing music website social media downloader site .
    It surely has alot of claassy musical content.
    Last edited by officially4h; 10-03-2019 at 06:38 AM.

hackerlol's Avatar Admin(kind of) ShoutBox Dweller
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1190/297
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    thanks friend

It was such a unique thing to follow over the last week that I felt it was worth sharing. Some friends of mine have been wishing for CoH to come back for years, it was their Classic WoW in a sense. And turns out there's a ton of people like them.
    A few days after reading your thread I found myself walking down memory lane, in my case it was Star Wars Galaxies.
    SWG like the game mention here was a beloved mmo although small It had a great tight-knit community... indeed I was very sad when the servers went down.

Reading your thread gave me the motivation to try and satisfy my nostalgia cravings, searching around I learned they finally finished the SWGemu and I found myself a Star Wars Galaxies server.
    Made a character of the same race, same class and same name...

It felt nice to play the game again but...
    I'm sad to say It didn't feel the same, I feel the friends you played your old game with is what made the game for you, or atleast this was the case for me... they are all gone now and I'll never see them again.

I miss you sethmor, Kalisuya, vortaise, liilaa, forgot his name the guy who helped me get many of those space badges ♥

Rest in Peace SWG.

makman,
    EU-Farstar 4ever

9. Thanks Confucius, Kenneth (2 members gave Thanks to hackerlol for this useful post)