1063/788
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OwnedCore Report #13

13 is either a cursed number or lucky. Hopefully lucky for the sake of this report! In this report we got a couple cool things for you. Some things you will find in this report are community highlights, an article about how games connect people by Veritable, 7.3.5 highlights, and more!

7.3.5 Highlights

We got a new patch in WoW and it has very mixed reviews to say the least. Some people are saying its great and others think there is not enough to do. I want to know what you guys/gals think of this patch for sure because we are going to be in this patch for quite some time before the next expansion. On to the highlights.

• Leveling Changes
    There is a ton of changes to leveling and to get a full look at them click here. The short version is leveling didn't get harder but it definitely will take you longer to level. Also you can do any zone in any order you want now because everything scales to your character now.

• 4 Backpack slots
    Unlocked by attaching an Authenticator to your account

• Ulduar Timewalking
    "Your fate is sealed. The end of days is finally upon you and ALL who inhabit this miserable little seedling. Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'shh."

• New Silithus
    It's got a big ass sword in it and there's world quests and new story stuff there now.

• Horde and Alliance Epilogues

Community Highlights

Unkillable / Untargetable in PVP by HazzBazzy

Another NPC Under SW was found

[ Compilation ] The 6 creepy naked races placeholder actually in the game

An amazing Auction House guide by Advanta

Games Connecting People

Seeing as how it's the ending of the holiday season for some people, and we are moving into the new year when new games hit the digital and physical shelves for our consumption, one has to take a step back once in a while and see how fortunate we are as to how far we have come as a gaming community.

So today, we are going to step all the way back to a time when some of you may not have been born yet, some were in High School or College and just getting into this whole Computer thing. Lets time travel back to 1989.

Welcome to 1989 and the era of the BBS, or Bulletin Board Service. The above picture represents two of the most iconic games, which were called "Door Games" of the era. I will also mention Usurper as well because it was awesome too, but Trade Wars 2002 and Legend of the Red Dragon (L.O.R.D.) were at the top of almost every BBS system around the world.

For those who are unfamiliar with the technology at the time, a BBS was run on telephone lines. The more phone lines a sysadmin had, the more concurrent people could be on the BBS at the same time, otherwise they would get a busy signal and would have to call again. Why is this important? Imagine turning on your computer and hooking it up to the phone line, and then dialing a sometimes long distance phone number just to see what is going on in another city, with like minded people. But also imagine that the BBS you are connecting to only had a single phone line, but had a couple thousand people who sign in every day. You might have to wait a while to get in, but you could do it and you wouldn't complain too terribly much.

Most people did not have access to anything like the internet, thus you were left to Dial-Up BBS'. So you get in, and you check what we would soon refer to as email, and we lovingly called it Fidonet. You would be able to send messages to other users on the Fidonet, and every so often (sometimes once a night), the BBS' system would connect to a main server and communicate all incoming and outgoing messages, to be ready for the next round of users.

But that was text, and was extremely informative, but had no bite to it. Enter Door Games like Trade Wars 2002. You would be able to log in, take over a space station and even find other players ships in space. If someone logged out in the middle of a sector, their ship was there until they logged back in. While it was there, you could attack it and take all their cargo. Amazing thing about that is when the BBS had more than one line connected. You are now in a multi-player strategy game, not unlike playing Civilization with friends. You had a connection with this person in the game, and you would communicate through Fidonet or the local message board, to create corporations and gangs basically to take over entire sectors in the game.

L.O.R.D. had its own hitch to it. There were certain areas of the game that if you paid money, or stumbled upon a random section of a forest, you might encounter someone inscribing a message on an outhouse (message list), and you could communicate or kill them in some respects. So you always logged out in the Inn, never in the Forest, and always make sure you had the best weapon and armor equipped. One of the best tricks, was when someone would create a module for the game that allowed you to rename your weapons and armor. You could rename your Dragon Slayer Sword to "Cracked Stick". Then someone who would bribe the Inn Keeper to see who they could slay and take money, they would see your gear but get annihilated by the renamed weapon.

Without multiple lines, it was never real-time communications like we have today. In today's world of gaming, communication has never been easier. From the straight up creation of Discord and the likes for actual voice chat, Video conferencing with Skype and even built-in chat systems like Blizzards Battle.net and Steam have created on their platforms, it has never been easier to communicate with teammates and organize events inside of video games in real time. No more waiting for 24 hours to see if someone is going to help you attack Sir Chancealot in the Inn.

I guess what is next, is we all get implants and no need for cell phones anymore. It just is thought of and sent... imagine the horror some of your friends will experience from your thoughts in that system HAH!

So as you are shopping In-Line or On-Line for that next gen title, just think about how you communicate with them in the game and look back at the way it used to be. Games have always been a way of a certain facet of society to communicate with each other. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. But it was always a push to more real-time communications. Faster methods to relay information about a game matter, or your work schedule so you could both sign into a BBS at the same time to go hunting in Trade Wars.

Imagine if you were suddenly thrown into 1989 and had to deal with communicating in that way when you are in the thick of a raid in WoW or Destiny 2.

Happy 2018 Everyone!

Gaming News From Around the World

• New House of the Dead was announced.
    Very little information is known but we have some sneak peaks of what is to come! All pics can be seen here

OwnedCore Report #13
  2. Thanks hackerlol, Nyarly (2 members gave Thanks to Kenneth for this useful post)
    hackerlol's Avatar Admin(kind of) ShoutBox Dweller
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1190/297
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    House of the dead : D

I remember having spent soo much of my money as a kid on the arcade version.
    Oh Dr. Curien.....

4. Thanks Kenneth (1 members gave Thanks to hackerlol for this useful post)
    Nyarly's Avatar ★ Elder ★ Lorekeeper of Exploration
    Thanks G/R
    367/314
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should do it but I can't spare the time right now :
    Could you please make an article about ownercore's least known sub-forums next time ?
    I want to start reading other parts of OC, but I don't know where to start.
    Like who are the faces of gta exploits ? Does another game than WoW have a thread with funny exploits and glitches? Which sub-forum has the most number of thread? or is the most active? Or makes the most game-breaking exploits (godmode, noclip, ...)?
    Pretty please

And thank you for this 13th one!

6. Thanks Kenneth (1 members gave Thanks to Nyarly for this useful post)
    Kenneth's Avatar ★ Elder ★ WTB XRP Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1063/788
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Nyarly View Post
    I should do it but I can't spare the time right now :
    Could you please make an article about ownercore's least known sub-forums next time ?
    I want to start reading other parts of OC, but I don't know where to start.
    Like who are the faces of gta exploits ? Does another game than WoW have a thread with funny exploits and glitches? Which sub-forum has the most number of thread? or is the most active? Or makes the most game-breaking exploits (godmode, noclip, ...)?
    Pretty please

And thank you for this 13th one!
    to be 100% honest with you I scour the lesser known forums every time I do community highlights and the other games exploit sections are not very active and the few that are are mostly posting hacks not exploits. There is no like "advanta" of the GTA or Albion Online forums, at least not on here. That is why I try including WoW exploration a lot because even though it is WoW and our WoW section is booming all year round, it is a nice gem that is overlooked by a lot of people.

Kenneth's Avatar ★ Elder ★ WTB XRP Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1063/788
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by hackerlol View Post
    House of the dead : D

I remember having spent soo much of my money as a kid on the arcade version.
    Oh Dr. Curien.....
    It's gonna be great! So much nostalgia. The pics look amazing.

hackerlol's Avatar Admin(kind of) ShoutBox Dweller
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1190/297
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    It's gonna be great! So much nostalgia. The pics look amazing.
    Nostalgia indeed : ()
    I remember every time I would die around a certain point, at the beginning of a certain level or at the end of it, never quite clearing it. So this one time I went to the arcade with soo much money, not stolen from my mom's purse, with my mind set to beat the game. I got to the end boss and It said 'Unknown' where It normally shows weakness for a boss.

I shit my pants.

I can't wait to shit my pants again.

Jayhawk's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the old BBS's...Got on my first one in 1983 on my Radio Shack CoCo 2...with my cassette drive and 300 baud modem. Good times man. I ended up running my own later on in the early 90's and had 4 lines in my house, quite expensive at the time. Love ANSI art and miss it. That either looks like WWIV or Wildcat up above but can't tell which it is, could also be Renegade? Love the post, thanks for the flashback.

Edit: Just saw my post go live and realized I've been on here 10 years and never posted lol, crazy

hptechsupport's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing information in this forum and please keep posting like this. I have many doubts before reading this but this but this time all is clear.
    HP Customer Service Number

HUSKY BOOST's Avatar Banned 100% trusted CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    8/29
    Trade Feedback
    344 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was nice to see this news I remember something about House of the Dead, but weakly