2/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speak in good English to help other US users on mmowned

A few quick grammar tips before I start with the real stuff: If I ask, "How are you doing". How do you reply? "No much men, sup with you", I will give you 3 ways to reply properly: "I am doing well (not good)." Or, " I have been doing well, how about you?" (Now for the not so much well known one) "I am doing wholesome, how are you carring out our life on this day?" This was just a little thing to help with greetings so you can see what lay ahead in this long trek. (note I will use confusing words)

WARNING WALL OF TEXT
    For a wider range of words to use in your post go here (it's also a dictionary )
    Thesaurus.com

Okay lets start simple: "Its" is possessive EX: "Its his, you know,"
    :It's" is a contraction for "It is" EX: "It's (it is) time to go." "A", and "An" "A" is used if the following word's first letter is pronounced as a constanite (sorry not sure how to spell it I'll come back on this later) "An" is used if the following word is used as a vowel, EX: Our, Hour, Omni. (That is it for simple for now I will be adding on to this guide in later times) We are now entering run on sentences, take this as a going away party before you enter the next level. Run on sentences are very common to come across. A good example of a run on sentence would be the following: Michela is a very good artist she can also run fast. It may look like a good sentence, but we need to show thats it's two complete thoughts, a good way to show this would be: Michela is a very good artist, and she can also run fast. There are more ways of fixing it. Like using a period, or a semi-colon, but for now we will just stick with this simple and common fix.
    We are now going onto intermedite (spelling) level grammatical rules.

Proper usage of There, Their, and They're: Some of the most common mistakes made in typing is the miss use of the "THEREs" (as I call them). Lets start with "There": You would use "There" to show a location or "There's" for possession to someone, or for a contraction. You may also use it to help show the tinces (later in the guide) EX: 1.) There are your glasses. 2.) It's there's, you know?. 3.) There's been a change in movie times. 4.) (Future tince) There is going to be a good show on soon. 5.) (Past) There was a good show on last night. 6.) (Present) There is a good show on now, you know?

Proper usage of a verb: As you may know there are three types of verbs, future, past, and present, tinces (Spelling) lets start with future: Future verbs we will use will be tinces (SP) for the other two to make it easier, 1.) Running (other varieties can be used), 2.) Going to swim. lets start with this. Ran, EX: I'm planning on running at 1:00. Another example to show the varieties is: I'm going to run at 1:00. Now for "Going to swim" EX: Leah and I are going to swim later. Other varieties: Leah and I are going to go swimming later. Now because I don't have much time to keep typing the rules for tinces (SP) I'm going to move on and edit later, when I have more time.
    Proper simple sentences: Sentence fragments: Incomplete sentences, well that covers fragments, oh wait! EX: Bye. Why there is only a subject, no predicate (we will touch on this later) A full simple sentence: I'm going to leave now. This is considered a simple sentence in the English language, now I'm going to show you a complex sentence (not hard realy): Because Juan bought the book Mary got mad. Okay I know how to form the, but in my class we use a little something to explain things like this better here is a little quote (not copy righted):

A complex sentence has an independent clause joined by one or more dependent clauses. A complex sentence always has a subordinator such as because, since, after, although, or when or a relative pronoun such as that, who, or which. In the following complex sentences, subjects are in yellow, verbs are in green, and the subordinators and their commas (when required) are in red.

A. When he handed in his homework, he forgot to give the teacher the last page.
    B. The teacher returned the homework after she noticed the error.
    C. The students are studying because they have a test tomorrow.
    D. After they finished studying, Juan and Maria went to the movies.
    E. Juan and Maria went to the movies after they finished studying.
    Simple realy, we will refer more to this site later I will add a link later to refer back to later.

Compound: A compound sentence has, two subjects and two predicate. EX: I ran down the street to get Karen, but she ran off before I got to her. The two parts (or clauses) of the sentence are off setted by a comma (,) and a coordinater, but, because, yet, no, nor, ect. Here is another sample:
    A compound sentence contains two independent clauses joined by a coordinator. The coordinators are as follows: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. (Helpful hint: The first letter of each of the coordinators spells FANBOYS.) Except for very short sentences, coordinators are always preceded by a comma. In the following compound sentences, subjects are in yellow, verbs are in green, and the coordinators and the commas that
    precede them are in red.

A. I tried to speak Spanish, and my friend tried to speak English.
    B. Alejandro played football, so Maria went shopping.
    C. Alejandro played football, for Maria went shopping.

a link to the site I got it from: Sentences:* Simple, Compound, and Complex

Okay now it's time to work on setting up a essay, or post...

Hello, this is just a little post to help you learn better English.
    Now you may have notice indented o.0!!! This is one thing you must do if you want to do a proper letter (It will help in scams trust me)

Okay, now we start a new paragraph, we skipped a line, and indented, but now I'm going to add something in the middle of a sentence. How have you been doing in you stay at Hampton, I think you will find it enjoyable. See that??? "I think you will find it enjoyable", now I forgot what it is called an I'll fix it later.

Okay that was the end to that part we are going to do one moare in this section, Independent Clauses.

Independent Clauses can stand alone in a sentence (where as Dependent Clauses need something else) EX: I like that jacket he got. That sentence has a subject and a predicate and exspreses the thought, so it can stand alone. Now for a Dependent Clause: When Jim studied for his test... That can't stand alone, it has a subject, and a predicate, but doesn't show the complete thought, what happened?

Well guys thats all I have tonight I will addon later, hope this helped, please add what you wnat to see on this (yes some parts need some touch ups but it should explain everything in CORRECT grammar (sorry been spelling grammar wrong))

Updates:
    Add "THERE's
    Add Run On Sentences

There is more to come for the guide post something you want me to add (such as what you know or don't know about grammar).

Thanks for reading my post.
    Last edited by ~Jagris; 02-28-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Speak in good English to help other US users on mmowned
    tomch's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya agreed. good post
    thank you for takin time to explain this

shade599's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by jagris View Post
    A few quick grammar tips before I start with the real stuff: If I ask, "How are you doing?" how do you reply? "No much men, sup with you", I will give you 3 ways to reply properly: "I am doing well (not good)," or " I have been doing well, how about you?" (Now for the not so well known one) "I am doing wholesome, how are you carrying out our life on this day?" This was just a little thing to help with greetings, so you can see what lies ahead in this long trek. (Note: I will use confusing words)

WARNING WALL OF TEXT

For a wider range of words to use in your post, go here (it's also a dictionary ).

Okay let's start simple: "Its" is possessive. EX: "It's his, you know," PROPER EXAMPLE: "The dog was chewing its food." Your example uses the contraction, and incorrectly.

:It's" is a contraction for "It is" EX: "It's (it is) time to go." "A", and "An" "A" is used if the following word's first letter is pronounced as a consonant (sorry not sure how to spell it I'll come back on this later) "An" is used if the following word is used as a vowel, EX: Our, Hour, Omni. (That is it for simple, for now I will be adding on to this guide in later times) We are now moving onto intermediate (spelling) level grammatical rules.

Proper usage of a verb: As you may know there are three types of verbs: future, past, and present tenses (Spelling) lets start with future: The future verbs we will use will be tense (SP) for the other two to make it easier, 1.) Running (other varieties can be used), 2.) Going to swim. Let's start with this. Ran, EX: I'm planning on running at 1:00. Another example to show the varieties is: I'm going to run at 1:00. Now for "Going to swim" EX: Leah and I are going to swim later. Other varieties: Leah and I are going to go swimming later. Now because I don't have much time to keep typing the rules for tenses (SP) I'm going to move on and edit later, when I have more time.

Proper simple sentences: Sentence fragments: Incomplete sentences. Well, that covers fragments. Oh wait! EX: Bye. Why, there is only a subject; no predicate! (we will touch on this later) A full simple sentence: I'm going to leave now. This is considered a simple sentence in the English language. Now I'm going to show you a complex sentence (not hard, really): Because Juan bought the book, Mary got mad. Okay, I know how to form the(?), but in my class we use a little something to explain things like this better here is a little quote (not copy righted):

A complex sentence has an independent clause joined by one or more dependent clauses. A complex sentence always has a subordinator such as because, since, after, although, or when or a relative pronoun such as that, who, or which. In the following complex sentences, subjects are in yellow, verbs are in green, and the subordinators and their commas (when required) are in red.

A. When he handed in his homework, he forgot to give the teacher the last page.
    B. The teacher returned the homework after she noticed the error.
    C. The students are studying because they have a test tomorrow.
    D. After they finished studying, Juan and Maria went to the movies.
    E. Juan and Maria went to the movies after they finished studying.
    Simple, really. We will refer more to this site later; I will add a link later to refer back to, also.

Compound: A compound sentence has two subjects and two predicates. EX: I ran down the street to get Karen, but she ran off before I got to her. The two parts (or clauses) of the sentence are off setted by a comma (,) and a coordinater, but, because, yet, no, nor, ect. Here is another sample: A compound sentence contains two independent clauses joined by a coordinator. The coordinators are as follows: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. (Helpful hint: The first letter of each of the coordinators spells FANBOYS.) Except for very short sentences, coordinators are always preceded by a comma. In the following compound sentences, subjects are in yellow, verbs are in green, and the coordinators and the commas that

precede them are in red.

A. I tried to speak Spanish, and my friend tried to speak English.

B. Alejandro played football, so Maria went shopping.

C. Alejandro played football, for Maria went shopping.

a link to the site I got it from: Sentences:* Simple, Compound, and Complex

Okay now it's time to work on setting up a essay, or post...

Hello, this is just a little post to help you learn better English.

Now you may have notice indented o.0!!! This is one thing you must do if you want to do a proper letter (It will help in scams trust me)

Okay, now we start a new paragraph, we skipped a line, and indented, but now I'm going to add something in the middle of a sentence. How have you been doing in your stay at Hampton? I think you will find it enjoyable. See that??? "I think you will find it enjoyable", now I forgot what it is called an I'll fix it later. I don't think you can add a statement to the end of a question...

Okay that was the end to that part. We are going to do one more in this section: Independent Clauses.

Independent Clauses can stand alone in a sentence (whereas Dependent Clauses need something else) EX: I like that jacket he got. That sentence has a subject and a predicate, and expresses the thought, so it can stand alone. Now for a Dependent Clause: When Jim studied for his test... That can't stand alone. It has a subject, and a predicate, but doesn't show the complete thought. What happened?

Well guys, that's all I have tonight. I will add on later, hope this helped, please add what you want to see on this (yes, some parts need some touch ups but it should explain everything in CORRECT grammar (sorry been spelling grammar wrong)

I enjoy the irony in these guides. Note the problems in both grammar in spelling in red. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by shade599; 02-27-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Side note: This is NOT Jigglypuff

~Jagris's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shade, my guide was right (I'm just not a good speller). ALL the grammar was correct but I didn't miss spell whereas

Kuiren's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this over, I feel you didn't, "Cut the whole pie."

Please revise your guide.

R4mbo | Mr. R's Avatar Established Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean... I have spoken much better english some years ago... but with increasing online activity I had to make my english dumber... the most people I talk to in english are not from the USA or Britain and dont have english as their native language... I often have to speak very basic, simple & stupid english, so they understand me. Thats why my English is cripled.
    † Snitchstianity - Shadowpriest †
    † Join the Snitchstianity now!
    † Find the Truth
    † Remember the Number of the Snitch: 777
    † Join us or die!
    † I EAT SCAMMERS!!! :hf: :icon_hungry:

Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Kuiren View Post
    After reading this over, I feel you didn't, "Cut the whole pie."

Please revise your guide.
    In my guide I said I would update soon, lol. I'm working on it now.

shade599's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay lets start simple: "Its" is possessive EX: "Its his, you know,"
    Fine, maybe you only speak caps lock. YOU USED THE CONTRACTION FORM INSTEAD OF THE POSSESIVE FORM. Maybe it'd help if you actually READ what I put. This being said, what makes you think that YOU have the right to go parading about, telling people how to speak?

Side note: This is NOT Jigglypuff

Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ITS IS POSSESSIVE. Idiotic people where are you from, your location says Canada, if you do then your country's official language is FRENCH!!!! Only the Brits and Americans should tell people how to use correct grammar.
    Last edited by ~Jagris; 02-29-2008 at 04:48 PM.

MaiN's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ITS IS POSSESSIVE. Idiotic people where are you from, your location says Canada, if you do then your country's official language is FRENCH!!!! Only the Brits and Americans should tell people how to use correct grammar.
    Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
    Canada's two official languages are English and French.
    Source: Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[16:15:41] Cypher: caus the CPU is a dick
    [16:16:07] kynox: CPU is mad
    [16:16:15] Cypher: CPU is all like
    [16:16:16] Cypher: whatever, i do what i want

Kuiren's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a rewrite of your guide.

"Use a dictionary and a spell check."

MaiN's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kuiren is right!
    BTW, why don't you use a font which is easy to read? That orange-shit font isn't easy to read at all..
    [16:15:41] Cypher: caus the CPU is a dick
    [16:16:07] kynox: CPU is mad
    [16:16:15] Cypher: CPU is all like
    [16:16:16] Cypher: whatever, i do what i want

warsheep's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few quick grammar tips before I start with the real stuff: If I ask, "How are you doing". How do you reply? "No much men, sup with you(question mark here)",
    Well, "men" is many men.

one man.
    two men.
    FOR A MOMENT, NOTHING HAPPENED. THEN, AFTER A SECOND OR SO, NOTHING CONTINUED TO HAPPEN.

Kuiren's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't write a Grammar guide when the spelling of the guide is totally wrong. Use a spell check. /FacePalm

Glitchy's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing we have learned from this Guide is that no one likes the grammar police

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast