Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bypass launcher and start wildstar directly?

Yo,

iam trying to bypass the launcher and run wildstar directly. After some searching i found that people bypass launchers of various other games using a free utility called Process Explorer that can show the arguments that are passed to the game .exe when we click the start button in launcher and so they make a shortcut directly to the game exe and add those arguments to it.

But unfortunately, i had no success trying to replicate it with wildstar, my launcher starts no matter what, tried both .exes too.

So if anyone is interested in this and wants to help to try figure this out, here is a screenshot of the arguments from Process Explorer if you dont want to bother with that part:
    http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/08/16/53efcd6e7385a.png

and here they are in text form so you can copy and maybe try something:
    /auth auth.eu.wildstar-online.com /lang en /authnc wildstar.cligate.ncsoft.com /patcher wildstar.patcher.ncsoft.com /SettingsKey WildStar

Bypass launcher and start wildstar directly?
    Jadd's Avatar 🐸 Premium Seller
    Thanks G/R
    81/333
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer: Unless you start the game directly using CreateProcess, you can't do it.

Long answer: Starting a process from Windows Explorer, command line, from a batch file, etc., will all store the full path to the executable in the first argument of the application's main function. The second, and following arguments, are the parameters that are specifically provided by the user. For example, if you started an application via. shortcut or command line like "C:/application.exe /a /b /c", it would store arguments like so:

Code:
    args[0] = "C:/application.exe"
    args[1] = "/a"
    args[2] = "/b"
    args[3] = "/c"
    The WildStar client looks for the /auth parameter at args[0], which is why it does not launch as you would expect. The only way the full application path can be excluded from the argument list, is to start the client via. CreateProcess. The .NET function Process.Start() also places the executable path in the first element, so if you're creating your launcher from .NET you will also need to wrap the unmanaged API. There's no way around that, you can take my word for it.

Just FYI, you don't need Process Explorer to see what command lines are passed. You can easily see this in task manager.

temp321's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some python code to launch wildstar. I used it when I reversed 32bit. I do not recommend it thought because Carbine put traps in the exe for people running 32bit in 64bit windows.

import os.path
    from ctypes import *
    from ctypes.wintypes import *

class PROCESS_INFORMATION(Structure):
    _pack_ = 1
    _fields_ = [
    ('hProcess', HANDLE),
    ('hThread', HANDLE),
    ('dwProcessId', DWORD),
    ('dwThreadId', DWORD),
    ]

class STARTUPINFO(Structure):
    _pack_ = 1
    _fields_ = [
    ('cb', DWORD),
    ('lpReserved', DWORD),
    ('lpDesktop', LPSTR),
    ('lpTitle', LPSTR),
    ('dwX', DWORD),
    ('dwY', DWORD),
    ('dwXSize', DWORD),
    ('dwYSize', DWORD),
    ('dwXCountChars', DWORD),
    ('dwYCountChars', DWORD),
    ('dwFillAttribute', DWORD),
    ('dwFlags', DWORD),
    ('wShowWindow', WORD),
    ('cbReserved2', WORD),
    ('lpReserved2', DWORD),
    ('hStdInput', DWORD),
    ('hStdOutput', DWORD),
    ('hStdError', DWORD),
    ]

si = STARTUPINFO()
    si.cb = sizeof(si)
    pi = PROCESS_INFORMATION()

windll.kernel32.CreateProcessA(
    wildstar_path,
    '/auth auth.eu.wildstar-online.com /lang en /authnc wildstar.cligate.ncsoft.com /patcher wildstar.patcher.ncsoft.com /SettingsKey WildStar',
    False,
    os.path.dirname(wildstar_path),
    byref(si),
    byref(pi)
    )

mlna's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you brothers for the input, i managed to run it with c++ createprocess based on Jadd's advice aswell but unfortunately for now none of this actualy solved what i was truly after by starting without the launcher and that was to try help 3d model ripper programs inject into the game (trying to extract my own model, i guess topic for a different thread some other day)
    Last edited by mlna; 08-18-2014 at 05:10 AM.

izionn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by mlna View Post
    Thank you brothers for the input, i managed to run it with c++ createprocess based on Jadd's advice aswell but unfortunately for now none of this actualy solved what i was truly after by starting without the launcher and that was to try help 3d model ripper programs inject into the game (trying to extract my own model, i guess topic for a different thread some other day)
    How did you manage to do this? Im not very good with coding or programming but to play on the computer I want to play on I need to be able to bypass the launcher. Can you give me the code you used and explain how you ran it? Please!

izionn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jadd View Post
    Short answer: Unless you start the game directly using CreateProcess, you can't do it.

Long answer: Starting a process from Windows Explorer, command line, from a batch file, etc., will all store the full path to the executable in the first argument of the application's main function. The second, and following arguments, are the parameters that are specifically provided by the user. For example, if you started an application via. shortcut or command line like "C:/application.exe /a /b /c", it would store arguments like so:

Code:
    args[0] = "C:/application.exe"
    args[1] = "/a"
    args[2] = "/b"
    args[3] = "/c"
    The WildStar client looks for the /auth parameter at args[0], which is why it does not launch as you would expect. The only way the full application path can be excluded from the argument list, is to start the client via. CreateProcess. The .NET function Process.Start() also places the executable path in the first element, so if you're creating your launcher from .NET you will also need to wrap the unmanaged API. There's no way around that, you can take my word for it.

Just FYI, you don't need Process Explorer to see what command lines are passed. You can easily see this in task manager.
    Also if you could help me with my issue in the above post it would be greatly appreciated, I also already made my own post as well if you could take a look.

Thank you!!

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/wild...-launcher.html

MuKen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, new to the forum.

Does the method for bypassing the launcher written here still work? I wrote a c# injection library that does exactly this (using CreateProcess to spawn the process with the proper arguments), and it still uses the launcher. Have they patched it so this no longer works, or am I doing something wrong?

MuKen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by MuKen View Post
    Hi everyone, new to the forum.

Does the method for bypassing the launcher written here still work? I wrote a c# injection library that does exactly this (using CreateProcess to spawn the process with the proper arguments), and it still uses the launcher. Have they patched it so this no longer works, or am I doing something wrong?
    Upon further inspection, this method seems to work for me when using the 64bit executable, but not the main one. I need it to work on the 32-bit version, does anybody have any idea why there would be a difference?