Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some info about the binary, please

Hello!
    While trying to load Lua 5.1.4 object signatures compiled with VC 2012 in wildstar32.idb using the signature loader by gerbay, I noticed there were no matches.
    Having a quick look at the disassembly, I could locate the few things I was looking for (lua_newstate etc.), but the functions' disassembly seems to differ a bit; it seems to be "more inlined" if that makes sense.
    I was wondering if this is caused by just some different compiler flags (I compiled my lua distribution with standard VS release flags) or if the Lua source code they use is just different.I tend to assume that it's the first case, but, with my very limited experience, I can't tell for sure and I'm curious about it.
    Thanks!

Some info about the binary, please
    Master674's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/23
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by bingotheclowno View Post
    Hello!
    While trying to load Lua 5.1.4 object signatures compiled with VC 2012 in wildstar32.idb using the signature loader by gerbay, I noticed there were no matches.
    Having a quick look at the disassembly, I could locate the few things I was looking for (lua_newstate etc.), but the functions' disassembly seems to differ a bit; it seems to be "more inlined" if that makes sense.
    I was wondering if this is caused by just some different compiler flags (I compiled my lua distribution with standard VS release flags) or if the Lua source code they use is just different.I tend to assume that it's the first case, but, with my very limited experience, I can't tell for sure and I'm curious about it.
    Thanks!
    Hey they compiled lua to use __fastcall and maximum optimizations & inlining. So if you want to have any sig.-matches you could compile a Lua 5.1.4 dll with similar settings and try if something matches

If you do please share the compiled .dll - I'd like to have a look as well but currently don't have VS 2012 installed.

bingotheclowno's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Thanks for the fast answer.I toyed a bit with the compile flags, but couldn't yet get a satisfactory result.After switching to fastcall convention there are many matches, but not enough
    I tried to keep compiler flags as close to the default release build ones as possible, besides whole program optimization, which would cause the IDA plugin to say it's not a valid COFF format.
    The command ended to be """ /GS /analyze- /W1 /Gy /Zc:wchar_t /Gm- /O2 /sdl /Fd"Release\vc110.pdb" /fprecise /D "_MBCS" /D "LUA_BUILD_AS_LIB" /D "_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS" /errorReportrompt /WX- /Zc:forScope /Gr /Oy- /Oi /MT /Fa"Release\" /EHsc /nologo /Fo"Release\" /Fp"Release\lua.pch" """.
    I will play a bit more with it later, when I get the time and I will try to have a look at how the generated assembly for the .lib file differs from the one in the game binary.Not sure what that will tell me, considering by lack of experience, but it's a start maybe.